C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Original Battery and Tires on low mileage car

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2013, 02:16 PM
DinoBob
Melting Slicks

Received 365 Likes on 206 Posts

Default Original Battery and Tires on low mileage car

This is a Corvette question, but it's really related to a C5. Just the same, I hang out here so I thought I would ask you guys.

My friend has a 2004 vert, bought brand new. 12,000 miles. garage queen, covered, still has the temporary plate and sticker/invoice/etc... in a bag.

His battery has given up the ghost after 10 years, and his tires are like new but, well, 10 years old. So he is going to replace the battery and perhaps the tires.

When I asked him what would become of the battery, he said he would turn it in for his $5 refund. As far as the tires, he said he has no room to store the originals and so would not keep them, in all likelihood.

Your thoughts please. Remember, it's a garage queen, so save the "cars are for driving" replies. We get it. There are different types of Corvette owners.
Old 05-08-2013, 03:23 PM
Cruisinfanatic
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Clifton Park, NY ..............Clearwater, FL ... 85 Original Owner
Received 553 Likes on 432 Posts

Originally Posted by DinoBob
This is a Corvette question, but it's really related to a C5. Just the same, I hang out here so I thought I would ask you guys.

My friend has a 2004 vert, bought brand new. 12,000 miles. garage queen, covered, still has the temporary plate and sticker/invoice/etc... in a bag.

His battery has given up the ghost after 10 years, and his tires are like new but, well, 10 years old. So he is going to replace the battery and perhaps the tires.

When I asked him what would become of the battery, he said he would turn it in for his $5 refund. As far as the tires, he said he has no room to store the originals and so would not keep them, in all likelihood.

Your thoughts please. Remember, it's a garage queen, so save the "cars are for driving" replies. We get it. There are different types of Corvette owners.
garage queen with junk battery and tires. What's the question.
If you're asking if he should be saving battery and tires?
NO. It's not like it's a 25 yr old car
Old 05-08-2013, 03:28 PM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

If they are run flat tires and appear in good condition without cracks or crazing rot, should be good for normal driving. The car was covered and garaged so shouldn't be any sun damage issues.
Old 05-08-2013, 03:53 PM
TP98
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry/car
If they are run flat tires and appear in good condition without cracks or crazing rot, should be good for normal driving. The car was covered and garaged so shouldn't be any sun damage issues.
Tires should be fine. That said, my whole car changed when I took off the 17 yr old gatorbacks and upgraded to new rubber.
Old 05-08-2013, 05:30 PM
tbirdsps
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Just my opinion. If he will drive it locally below highway speeds leave the tires and change the battery. He can buy a new battery from a Chevrolet dealer and it will at least be a delco.

If he wants to exceed 50 mph, buy new tires too. Otherwise just leave it in the garage.
Old 05-08-2013, 05:44 PM
DinoBob
Melting Slicks

My point was not whether or not he needed new tires. It was whether he should keep the other tires and battery. He does intend to keep the car for a very long time. It will be an heirloom of sorts.
Old 05-08-2013, 05:48 PM
Cruisinfanatic
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

My point was not whether or not he needed new tires. It was whether he should keep the other tires and battery. He does intend to keep the car for a very long time. It will be an heirloom of sorts.
A dead batter is worthless
The tires might be worth something someday if the manufacturer stops making them.
Wouldn't keep either
Old 05-08-2013, 07:55 PM
DinoBob
Melting Slicks

Surprised at the replies. My friend bought the car to celebrate his sons birth in 2004. His dad had bought a '66 new when he was born. If I bought the car new and intended to keep it "forever" like my friend, I would keep everything. Batteries can be gutted and Optimas put inside using the battery as a shell. Extra set of wheels and the tires become show tires. Fast forward to 2029 and it picks up an NCRS Top Flight...
The following users liked this post:
Larrye (04-30-2022)
Old 05-08-2013, 08:09 PM
96 Vette CE
Banned Loser
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: They say you learn from your mistakes, I must be a genius
Received 248 Likes on 114 Posts
2017 Corvette of the Year
2016 C4 of Year Finalist
Creator of the "Original" whining and crying thread
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17

Yes he needs new tires, they are 10 years old and are at the end of their useful life. As far as saving everything for possible NCRS, tires yes, battery no.
Old 05-08-2013, 08:18 PM
DinoBob
Melting Slicks

I know those tires should be replaced. I have been encouraging him to do so. Mine were 23 years old when I replaced them recently.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:40 PM
Larry/car
Race Director

I wouldn't replace the tires. I cut up and inspected tires that were twenty three years old on a car that was displayed indoors. There was absolutely nothing wrong with the tires, they were not hard and didn't show any signs of old age damage. The rubber will not deteriorate as fast when a car is stored inside out of direct sunlight in a constant environment.
El_Phantasmo (04-30-2022)
Old 05-08-2013, 09:48 PM
Cruisinfanatic
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Surprised at the replies. My friend bought the car to celebrate his sons birth in 2004. His dad had bought a '66 new when he was born. If I bought the car new and intended to keep it "forever" like my friend, I would keep everything. Batteries can be gutted and Optimas put inside using the battery as a shell. Extra set of wheels and the tires become show tires. Fast forward to 2029 and it picks up an NCRS Top Flight...
there is nothing special about the battery. There are millions of them
Old 05-09-2013, 10:15 AM
FOURSPEEDVETTE
Safety Car

Received 224 Likes on 156 Posts

I don't think keeping the original tires and battery is going to make any C5 more valuable. These parts are throw away parts. Safety and reliability of the car should be the objective. When was the last time anyone ever said..........Jees ...that old car doesn't have the original tires or battery! It's definitely going to drop its value.
Old 05-09-2013, 10:47 AM
96 Vette CE
Banned Loser
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: They say you learn from your mistakes, I must be a genius
Received 248 Likes on 114 Posts
2017 Corvette of the Year
2016 C4 of Year Finalist
Creator of the "Original" whining and crying thread
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by FOURSPEEDVETTE
I don't think keeping the original tires and battery is going to make any C5 more valuable. These parts are throw away parts. Safety and reliability of the car should be the objective. When was the last time anyone ever said..........Jees ...that old car doesn't have the original tires or battery! It's definitely going to drop its value.
That would be true unless you're talking about NCRS like the OP is, not having the original tires on the car will cost you points.
Old 05-09-2013, 10:47 AM
bac22
Le Mans Master

Received 186 Likes on 163 Posts

I'm confused...if it's a garage queen then it sounds like it's meant for shows only in which case no need to change out anything! I'm assuming its being trailered to car shows.

If the car is being driven, then keeping tires won't do squat for resale in the future.
Old 05-09-2013, 01:31 PM
Larry/car
Race Director

Who really cares about if the tires are original. But is does not make sense to replace tires if they are in good shape. Stored indoors, ten years old, I wouldn't replace them at this time. I replace on condition, not date of manufacture.
El_Phantasmo (04-30-2022)
Old 05-10-2013, 12:14 AM
DinoBob
Melting Slicks

Who really cares about if the tires are original. But is does not make sense to replace tires if they are in good shape. Stored indoors, ten years old, I wouldn't replace them at this time. I replace on condition, not date of manufacture.
The question is not really whether to replace the tires. Would you keep the originals?

While it is a garage queen, it is so in the sense that it never sees rain or snow and is garaged and covered. It sees about 1300 miles a year.

I know if I planned to have the Vette in 15 years I wold keep both. Just my choice.

Get notified of new replies

To Original Battery and Tires on low mileage car

Old 05-10-2013, 12:55 AM
dukeallen
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If he wants to show it as 100% original, keep both. If he just wants a really nice car to pass down, let them go.
Old 05-10-2013, 01:21 AM
DinoBob
Melting Slicks

Thanks Duke. I think that really says it all. Simple.
Old 04-30-2022, 10:25 AM
El_Phantasmo
Racer

Received 100 Likes on 76 Posts

I wouldn't replace the tires. I cut up and inspected tires that were twenty three years old on a car that was displayed indoors. There was absolutely nothing wrong with the tires, they were not hard and didn't show any signs of old age damage. The rubber will not deteriorate as fast when a car is stored inside out of direct sunlight in a constant environment.

Agree. I think the major tire chains ( Discount, Tires by Design) have programmed the general public into believing that at the 5 year mark tires just spontaneously combust and explode.

I've got a couple sets of tires for my Foxbody from 2014 that have 500 miles on them, have never been parked outside, never driven in the rain, only been in the sun when driving, and have been stored inside a climate controlled environment since new. According to some people these are "dangerous" tires just because of their age, but I'd trust these tires to drive coast to coast and back.

There's no reason rubber tires are inherently dangerous at the 5 year mark merely because of their age. How they've been stored, and how they've been used has way more effect that the date of manufacture.

EDITED: Had no idea this was such an old thread, it popped up as suggested to read based on what previous thread I was viewing, lol

Sorry guys

Last edited by El_Phantasmo; 04-30-2022 at 11:30 AM.

Quick Reply: Original Battery and Tires on low mileage car