Tire questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 07:28 PM
nummy
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Tire questions

Hello everyone -

I'm looking for a replacement set of tires for my 1996 C4. The car is only used on the street (no auto cross or track use) I'm looking for something long lasting and quiet running. (high grip isn't a concern either)

What are your feelings toward Kumho tires?

Is there a specific Kuhmo model that works the best on a C4?

I was told a 255/45ZR17 is the front factory size, and the rear factory front size is 285/40ZR17.

Thanks in advance for your time !

nummy

Last edited by nummy; 05-06-2013 at 07:35 PM.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:37 PM
Netfly
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hi nummy,
I don't know Kuhmo's, but I suggest you try tirerack.com as they have good comparison data on tires. I like Goodyear myself. Michelin is nice too.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:43 PM
dlrx
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There's a bunch of past threads for research. I know I read tire reviews/questions for over a year here before I made my purchase last month.

I know a C6 owner that loves their Kumho's. I personally just bought Nitto NT555's for my 96 in factory sizes...after 300 miles so far, love them over the Goodyears. I hope 30k miles from now I will still love them.
Old 05-06-2013, 10:42 PM
Tony A.
Racer

Originally Posted by Netfly
Hi nummy,
I don't know Kuhmo's, but I suggest you try tirerack.com as they have good comparison data on tires. I like Goodyear myself. Michelin is nice too.

Tirerack.com has great reviews and all the ratings you can stand.

I found, through tirerack, the Firestone Firehawk Wide Oval Indy 500's to be the right mix of price and performance...they look bada$$ too...awesome tread design...

Firehawk Wide Oval Indy 500
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....+Oval+Indy+500

Old 05-07-2013, 09:01 AM
boonie c4
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by dlrx
there's a bunch of past threads for research. I know i read tire reviews/questions for over a year here before i made my purchase last month.

I know a c6 owner that loves their kumho's. I personally just bought nitto nt555's for my 96 in factory sizes...after 300 miles so far, love them over the goodyears. I hope 30k miles from now i will still love them.
i %100
Old 05-07-2013, 01:17 PM
CCarter8192
Advanced

I just put on matching set of Bridgestone re760 sport. They are super quiet, have a good tread life. And still provide comfortable grip. I really like em

Relatively inexpensive through tires plus locations.

Plus, I like the sport tire look with the rounded tread patterned edges.
Old 05-07-2013, 02:37 PM
79C3tnd
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

I have used the Kumhos on both my previous Z28 and Mustang GT. I loved them. Good price, and the grip was good. They are a little bit softer compound if I remember correctly, but unless you are using the car for a daily driver, I would think they should give you long life at a good price. They are very attractive tires as well...
Old 05-07-2013, 04:57 PM
bac22
Le Mans Master

Received 186 Likes on 163 Posts

I just bought NT555 tires at (of all places) Walmart...couldn't beat the price, free shipping and only $11 to mount/balance, plus the store is 2 miles from my house versus the tire shop that is 15 miles from my house!

Of course I bought in the rims as I didn't want anyone driving my vette, but I did talk to the manager of the tire/lube place for a bit and I could tell he was a car guy. He assured me my tires would be done right and that they had no problem mounting them, although he did drive a Mustang....I told him that concerned me..LOL! Anyway they did a great job with the tires, but that might not be the case at all stores.

Just make sure to point out that the rims are directional and are stamped on the inside...it's amazing how many places seem to miss the stamping and then end up installing the tires backwards.

Front
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Nitto-182-240/19473588
Rear
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Nitto-182-380/19473213
Old 05-07-2013, 05:22 PM
LoneStarV
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nito 555 can't beat em used em on several cars. If you like noise buy some Goodyear's...used to be the best damn tire maker in the world that is now a complete pos and has been for a long time.
Old 05-07-2013, 05:36 PM
Firewalker11
Instructor

I have Kumho Ecsta ASX tires on my car and while I haven't had the car that long, the tires grip the road very well and the ride is excellent!
Old 05-07-2013, 06:27 PM
subavairpine
Heel & Toe

Default Nitto N555

I just had a set of Nitto N555s installed, factory sizes, on my '93. They ride great, I'm very happy with them, and I absolutely agree that you should pay attention to those who are installing them! I bought mine at Big-O, and they worked on the rears first... I noticed they put the tires on backwards on the rears (good thing I was hovering). They didn't get at first that not only were the tires directional, but so were the rims! Anyway, after pointing it out, they fixed it and apologized, then went to work on the fronts... THEY DID THE SAME THING!!! I couldn't believe it haha, I felt really bad for the guy he got chewed out for making the same mistake again, but it's got to be done right! So keep an eye on them if you can!
Old 05-07-2013, 07:04 PM
vettestrings
Intermediate

I bought Nitto 555s a couple months ago after researching here and elsewhere for several months. I am very pleased so far.

I was also very pleased with Discount Tire. I had talked to the same guy there three times before I finally bought the tires. I told him in friendly way how Corvette owners could be kinda picky and I was concerned about balancing, lift points, etc. He was very understanding and willing to talk about all that... After talking with him I felt assured that everything would be okay...and it was. They were very professional.
Old 05-08-2013, 08:37 AM
gungatim
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 84 Posts

I bought the kumho's around 10 years or so ago to replace the stock run-flats on my '95. They were noticably quieter and smoother. Still have them on but they are getting a little bit weather cracked on the side walls, but tread is still good. I will probably buy them again if they are as good a value as they were back in '02.
Old 05-08-2013, 03:07 PM
Thorr
Advanced

Originally Posted by Firewalker11
I have Kumho Ecsta ASX tires on my car and while I haven't had the car that long, the tires grip the road very well and the ride is excellent!
I bought a set of these when I bought my 94, grippy, quiet and a decent value for the money I paid TireRack for them. No complaints about them, and I'll probably get another set once these are done.

J

Get notified of new replies

To Tire questions

Quick Reply: Tire questions