Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

New here. Figured I would say hello to my fellow C4 owners.

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2013, 05:35 AM
Carbd84
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New here. Figured I would say hello to my fellow C4 owners.

Hey all. I posted in the "new members" area but quickly noticed that it was just a place for people to get their post count up and not meant for actual introductions at all. So I will do it all over again, here.

I am a 25 year old master auto mechanic, and I own an '84. Nothing near stock, I actually never saw this car stock. Previous owner(s) had carb swapped the car and had done a really poor job of it. Using old used parts and hacking everything together. I decided the car needed my help, so I rescued her from her owner for a very reasonable amount and took her home.

After recently "investing" quite bit of cash in it I've almost got it where I want it performance wise. The engine is still carb swapped, but everything is nice new edelbrock aluminum. High compression street heads, air-gap high rise intake manifold, 650cfm carb, 1.6 roller rockers, hedman headers and a full custom exhaust. Oh, and it has newer forged flat top pistons in it, that one of the previous owners must have put in at some point (I can still see hone marks on the cyl walls). As it sits now its at roughly 10.5:1 compression ratio and has yet to be dino tuned/measured.

Some of you may have been wondering, with the above mention of a high rise intake manifold, how I managed to fit it under the clam shell? I didn't, there is a hole cut in it, with a hilborn scoop that sticks through it. Now, before anyone screams blaspheme, my 'vette is not anywhere near low mileage (on the body) and it was not in stock condition when I bought it.

Haven't done much exterior wise. It needs a paint job, but not terribly. I mostly just want a color change. Red C4 Corvettes are too common for my taste. Oh, I did however buy a set of '96 GrandSport wheels for it, and wrapped them in some good rubber for fun times at the track this summer.

Anyways, on with the two old pictures I have of her. I will grab more within the next few days and post them in this thread when I do.

I really, really don't like these wheels. So glad they are off the car.

Old engine picture. This was after installing the high rise manifold and carb. Still old heads, a lot of previous owner hacked stuff still there in this picture.
Old 05-05-2013, 06:17 AM
gears
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well,welcome to the forum! And have fun with your corvette..I'm thinking it will lead to other things down the road,but at least you started out with the right body style
Old 05-05-2013, 08:51 AM
ghoastrider1
Le Mans Master

Received 265 Likes on 240 Posts

welcome. Most will agree that the stock wheels just are not a thing of beauty anymore. Good to have tho,to put on sticky tires for the track. Oh, you may want to list where your at.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:25 PM
professorX
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another Minnesota man sweet, I am in the St.Cloud area and welcome to the c-4 family.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:36 PM
84wuzmy1st
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

I still like the old 84 wheels.
Old 05-08-2013, 11:28 PM
corvetteronw
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 247 Likes on 200 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Welcome! If you are ever interested in making a change to your hood then check out this site:
http://www.toledopro.com/vette-hoods.html
Old 05-09-2013, 07:14 AM
speedycat3
Pro

Welcome to the site.
Glad to see you are keeping that Vette on the road.
Old 05-09-2013, 08:34 AM
LTFORC4
Instructor

Corvette Rescue---Nice--welcome aboard!!! Keep the photos coming!!!
Old 05-09-2013, 11:01 AM
jesters94
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
2016 C4 of the Year Finalist
2015 C4 of the Year Finalist

Congrats on the purchase and welcome to the forum!
Old 05-09-2013, 12:09 PM
astepup
Melting Slicks

Received 1,793 Likes on 664 Posts

Welcome to the forum! Looks like you more than know your way around any automobile...so let me be the first to say it...to have another Master Mechanic around here is always a welcomed thing Keep us updated on the progress and as always post lots of pics...we like pics

astepup said that
Old 05-11-2013, 07:24 PM
richauto
Instructor

Originally Posted by Carbd84
Hey all. I posted in the "new members" area but quickly noticed that it was just a place for people to get their post count up and not meant for actual introductions at all. So I will do it all over again, here.

I am a 25 year old master auto mechanic, and I own an '84. Nothing near stock, I actually never saw this car stock. Previous owner(s) had carb swapped the car and had done a really poor job of it. Using old used parts and hacking everything together. I decided the car needed my help, so I rescued her from her owner for a very reasonable amount and took her home.

After recently "investing" quite bit of cash in it I've almost got it where I want it performance wise. The engine is still carb swapped, but everything is nice new edelbrock aluminum. High compression street heads, air-gap high rise intake manifold, 650cfm carb, 1.6 roller rockers, hedman headers and a full custom exhaust. Oh, and it has newer forged flat top pistons in it, that one of the previous owners must have put in at some point (I can still see hone marks on the cyl walls). As it sits now its at roughly 10.5:1 compression ratio and has yet to be dino tuned/measured.

Some of you may have been wondering, with the above mention of a high rise intake manifold, how I managed to fit it under the clam shell? I didn't, there is a hole cut in it, with a hilborn scoop that sticks through it. Now, before anyone screams blaspheme, my 'vette is not anywhere near low mileage (on the body) and it was not in stock condition when I bought it.

Haven't done much exterior wise. It needs a paint job, but not terribly. I mostly just want a color change. Red C4 Corvettes are too common for my taste. Oh, I did however buy a set of '96 GrandSport wheels for it, and wrapped them in some good rubber for fun times at the track this summer.

Anyways, on with the two old pictures I have of her. I will grab more within the next few days and post them in this thread when I do.

I really, really don't like these wheels. So glad they are off the car.

Old engine picture. This was after installing the high rise manifold and carb. Still old heads, a lot of previous owner hacked stuff still there in this picture.
Welcome to the forum I am also a ASE Master Tech
Old 05-11-2013, 07:28 PM
Vette Daddy
Le Mans Master

Received 95 Likes on 45 Posts

Welcome to the madness!

Get notified of new replies

To New here. Figured I would say hello to my fellow C4 owners.

Quick Reply: New here. Figured I would say hello to my fellow C4 owners.