Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

What's the farthest you've driven/flown to buy a Vette? Trip stories?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2002, 01:51 PM
Psychotron
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's the farthest you've driven/flown to buy a Vette? Trip stories?

I'm considering a 600 mile trip to look at a vette, but I want to know what I'm in for. Should I just fly there and drive back? It's only about an 11-hour drive one-way, so I'm tempted just to drive there with the wife and folks for a little vacation. How many tanks will I use in the vette (approximately) presuming it gets 'normal' mileage over a 600-mile trip? How well does a vette do an 11-hour (or longer) trip, comfort-wise?

Also, if anyone has done this and have some interesting stories to tell about your trip, please post them.
Old 06-21-2002, 02:00 PM
96LT4
Team Owner

Received 64 Likes on 41 Posts
Former Moderator
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
CI3 Car Show Winner
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

Default Re: What's the farthest you've driven/flown to buy a Vette? Trip stories? (OTCgrad)

I bought my GS in Utah, and I'm in GA. :) I did not go and see her, but had lots of photos to go by. I still recommend going to see the car. Mine just happened to be right during the Olympics, and plane tickets were over $1500. :( :cheers:
Old 06-21-2002, 02:03 PM
rocketfinger
Burning Brakes

Default Re: What's the farthest you've driven/flown to buy a Vette? Trip stories? (OTCgrad)

I live in Minneapolis, MN and bought my car in Dallas, TX. Flew down in the morning and the seller/dealer was non-site specific. He finally showed up about noon and by 1pm I was underway. Bad shocks had me more than a little on edge through OK. In Kansas I started to see thunderstorms to the west and started hauling azz. They finally caught me somewhere in Iowa at about 3am and I discovered what condition the weatherstripping was really in. Add tires that were nearly used up to torrential rain and I was pretty frazzled. 6am I arrive at my girlfriend's place, completely toast. 900 miles, 15 hours straight in a car I barely knew. I started with a full tank and as I recall I stopped twice for fuel. I'm a better man for it, but nobody needs to be that good. I'd do it again in a heartbeat. Enjoy.
Old 06-21-2002, 02:23 PM
USAZR1
Le Mans Master

Received 1,870 Likes on 1,085 Posts
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I purchased my 90 ZR-1 in Kinston,NC,about 1400 miles from here,with recommendations from Barry Konken of Konken's Corvette (former owner).
Got a cheap round-trip plane into Raleigh and the car owner's wife picked me up at the airport. The car was everything I imagined and more,,even getting 27mpg on the drive home (straight through,too).
Old 06-21-2002, 02:40 PM
RDRUNR
Instructor

I don't have a trip story but I can tell you that my 95 is very comfortable and would be a joy on a trip. I've been on a short trip (120 miles) and it was great and got about 24-25 mpg besides. I'd drive there and enjoy the trip with the MRS.
Old 06-21-2002, 02:43 PM
SonnyinVA
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: What's the farthest you've driven/flown to buy a Vette? Trip stories? (USAZR1)

hey OTC,
i love going on long trips in my car... it get's about 34MPG with the cruise on and even more with the cruise off.
i am 6'4" and have a bad back so i know that if i can ride comfortably in a vette for 8 hours anybody can.
i hope it's MY car that you're considering coming to see...
:D :D
Old 06-21-2002, 02:46 PM
emsrescu
Melting Slicks

Default Re: What's the farthest you've driven/flown to buy a Vette? Trip stories? (RDRUNR)

went for a 3 hour ride to look at a vette once and it was nice in pictures. did not buy it. I would fly down and have a look if it is what you want drive her home.
Old 06-21-2002, 02:47 PM
emsrescu
Melting Slicks

Default Re: What's the farthest you've driven/flown to buy a Vette? Trip stories? (emsrescu)

ps our 95 gets 28.5 mpg and our 87 gets 21 mpg that should give you an idea it's all how you drive her.
Old 06-21-2002, 02:50 PM
FASTAZU
Race Director

Received 910 Likes on 583 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods)
2018 C4 of Year Finalist
2015 C4 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '16
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Default Re: What's the farthest you've driven/flown to buy a Vette? Trip stories? (SonnyinVA)

I got my Z from Konken's in NE did the deal over the web and phone, flew out the Vette was better than I could have wished for, Berry was great to work with, Drove it home to Ga. 1150 miles only stopped for gas and a 3hr nap.

:yesnod: :seeya
Old 06-21-2002, 02:56 PM
PoloGrnC4
Racer

Default Re: What's the farthest you've driven/flown to buy a Vette? Trip stories?

A couple of weekends ago I took my Father to see his brother for a birthday party. The car averaged 24.5 MPG. I drove non stop from southern NH to Rt. 13 on the northern shores of Va. before I needed gas. When I left NH it was POURING.. but the rain didn't make the drive any worse. That trip was 1700 miles round trip.

I bought the car from a guy in NY. I drove it home. Again, another great trip. The absolute best way to get to know a car is by driving it for such a long trip. You get to know all the quirks fast...

I'll be taking another road trip in a couple of weeks. Without any hesitation.

Old 06-21-2002, 03:16 PM
rcolling
Le Mans Master

Had a forum acquaintance look at my Vette in Baton Rouge, LA. I am just outside of Los Angeles, CA. After his report I flew there and drove it home. A lot of driving but I was grinning from ear to ear the entire way. You can see why in my sig!
Old 06-21-2002, 03:36 PM
GS470
Racer

Default Re: What's the farthest you've driven/flown to buy a Vette? Trip stories? (rcolling)

I live just north of the Twin Cities (Minnesota) and bought my GS in Virginia, just outside Washington, D.C. I bought cheap round trip airfare for my wife and I to fly out and look at the car. I figured if all went well, we'd be driving home rather than flying home. As you've probably guessed, we drove home. And we turned it into a mini-vacation. We took about 4 days to go about 1500 miles. This is my first Vette and as you can imagine, I was on top of the world the whole way home. You couldn't beat the smile off my face if you tried. :D :D On top of everything else, I was pleasantly surprised to get an average of about 25MPG for the drive home.

I hope you have as pleasant an experience!!
Old 06-21-2002, 03:48 PM
vette87
Racer

Default Re: What's the farthest you've driven/flown to buy a Vette? Trip stories? (GS470)

I purchased my 89, 60k miles, both tops, in Sun City, Florida and drove her back to Pine Bluff, Arkansas about 1200 miles. A 15 hour trip, got to know my car alittle on the way back. I'd do it again in a minute. I found the car on the internet, had my brother-in-law check it out (he lives in Brazelton), made an offer on the phone, flew down, paid for it and drove home very happy. It all worked out very well. The only problem I have had with doing what I did is now friends of mine want we to find one for them too. Enjoy the trip!

Try to get another forum member to check out the car for you prior to making trip. I know there are members out ther willing to give you help with that. Its good to have another set of eyes check it out for you.

[Modified by vette87, 1:50 PM 6/21/2002]
Old 06-21-2002, 04:15 PM
Psychotron
Pro

Default Re: What's the farthest you've driven/flown to buy a Vette? Trip stories? (vette87)

These are great! Keep 'em coming. I had no idea so many of you got your vettes from other states, especially in the 900-1400 mile ranges. Which reminds me, since you're buying out of state, do you still have to pay sales tax?

And as far as flying, what is the best way to go about getting cheap plane tickets? I've never flown in my life (or owned a vette), so this would be a double-first experience for me! (and I just realized that too! :eek: )
Old 06-21-2002, 04:30 PM
Psychotron
Pro

Default Re: What's the farthest you've driven/flown to buy a Vette? Trip stories? (SonnyinVA)

i hope it's MY car that you're considering coming to see...
:D :D
Actually, yours is 1200 miles away! But hey, after reading how many others have done it, it's still an option! :) but I might have to take off work a little longer :D :cheers: :smash: :flag :reddevil
Old 06-21-2002, 04:54 PM
paulvitiello
Advanced

three wks ago i drove across the state of pa 330 mi looked at a vette my son saw in pittsburgh i loved it and drove it home my wife drove our other car i loved it it is a1985 i got 25 mi a gal couldnt believe it and i was very comfortable i wish iwas driving it across the country
Old 06-21-2002, 05:43 PM
Gixxer
Racer

Just ask as many questions as you can about the car and get some quality pics of it.

I drove 8 hours to look at one that was a POS! From the description the guy gave me on the phone I told him I would be down with a check and buy it but when I saw it :U !!! He sent me pics but they were from a cheap digital camera and you couldn't tell how faded the paint was. It leaked oil, had 3 bald tires and 1 new one, the clearcoat was gone so the black paint looked grey, etc. The guy was mad that I didn't wan't it but I was the one who drove 8 hours for nothing.

However, a few weeks later I found one 4 hours away and so I thought I would try my luck again and it worked out perfect. The car was better than he described it. I got the car I wanted for about 3K less than that other one.

Your taking a chance but I think it's worth it. :cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To What's the farthest you've driven/flown to buy a Vette? Trip stories?

Old 06-21-2002, 05:46 PM
ToniH
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts

Well, I bought my 1st Vette in London, UK and I live in Helsinki, Finland! :D

Actually I was studying there for little short of 2 years and bought it after 2 months. Drove in there the whole time, they drive on the left side of road :confused: When I moved back to Finland I took a ship from UK to Denmark with my dad , then we drove across Denmark, took another ferry to Sweden, drove across it too and too and yet another ferry to Finland. We had some good time, saw nice places. Very nice trip and it was a C3! A C4 is much more economical and comfortable on a such long journey.

Locally I would travel up to about 600 miles to see a good car, but thats because I can't go any further without going abroads ;) So, go for it if you think the car is worth it!

Greets,

ToniH

[Modified by ToniH, 11:48 PM 6/21/2002]
Old 06-21-2002, 08:30 PM
GreyGhost
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: What's the farthest you've driven/flown to buy a Vette? Trip stories? (ToniH)

The car of my dreams was out in northern IL and I live in Eastern PA. So I cashed in some of my frequent flyer miles and my dad and I flew out to O'hare and then rented a car and drove another hour northwest to look at the car. As soon as I saw the car, I was in love and we did the paper work and about an hour later, I was on my way home in my vette :D

I had to get a temp plate to drive it back to PA and we did that first thing Monday morning and then hit the monday morning Chicago rush hour in a car i didnt know :eek: We hit I-80 and then sailed on home. The car was a dream to drive. It was about an 800 mile trip and stopped a few times for gas..knowing the gas gauge is not the best. It took us a day and a half..not killing ourselves driving home and it was a blast. It makes a great story to tell freinds about the car.

It was a great time :flag
Old 06-21-2002, 08:50 PM
vettelover
Heel & Toe

Bought mine in the USA 2years ago and shipped it back to sydney in Australia

does that still count :rolleyes:

VETTELOVER

Quick Reply: What's the farthest you've driven/flown to buy a Vette? Trip stories?