Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

New Vette Owner --- steering moans!

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 04:33 AM
cfwp.n41
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Vette Owner --- steering moans!

Don't know if the 2 have anything to do with each other, but I changed my battery out in my '88 Vette/manual (which I used the Forum for the directions and was impressed how easy folks were able describe this tricky maneuver!) and afterwards I started her up and the steering "moaned" in each direction and felt tight.

More history --- Now, it did this the week prior when I had the garage flush and change all the fluids out...I had specifically told the garage NOT to touch the parking brake as it was not working when I purchased the vehicle and, of course, I went to pick the car up and the brake was pulled. Same thing, felt tight and felt as though the power steering was working at 10 percent...left the car at the garage to "fix the parking brake" and the next day it was fine (but now the brake light comes on intermittently while driving).

So, in a nutshell, I don't know whether I did something when I replaced the battery or the parking brake is causing this or this is a completely separate issue!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Tim
Old 04-24-2013, 07:27 AM
96 Vette CE
Banned Loser
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: They say you learn from your mistakes, I must be a genius
Received 248 Likes on 114 Posts
2017 Corvette of the Year
2016 C4 of Year Finalist
Creator of the "Original" whining and crying thread
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17

Your post is a little confusing. The parking brake has nothing to do with the power steering function. Maybe I just need to finish my coffee and read this again.....
Old 04-24-2013, 07:33 AM
davewhtt
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What fluids were flushed/changed? Power steering,brake fluid?
Old 04-24-2013, 11:16 AM
bob guzzy
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

The steering problem has nothing to do with a battery change.

The E brake, the cable probably is stuck out a little further than it should be and it isn't pushing back on the emergency brake light switch.

I would work the E brake cable slightly just pulling it out a little and letting it off a dozen times or so, it wouldn't hurt to lube the cables if you can to aid in it going back into position.

As for your power steering, the rack could be getting old and needs a little attention, but before doing any rack change I would recommend a 5 dollar fix.

Buy a container of Lucas Power Steering Conditioner, draw off some of the old fluid, just enough to get the whole container in, in a short time your power steering will work great again.

I had an 88 I was going to change the rack on, I tried a container of the Lucas product, and I never had to change that rack, I believe in this stuff.
Old 04-24-2013, 11:34 AM
cfwp.n41
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by bob guzzy

The E brake, the cable probably is stuck out a little further than it should be and it isn't pushing back on the emergency brake light switch.

I would work the E brake cable slightly just pulling it out a little and letting it off a dozen times or so, it wouldn't hurt to lube the cables if you can to aid in it going back into position.

As for your power steering, the rack could be getting old and needs a little attention, but before doing any rack change I would recommend a 5 dollar fix.

Buy a container of Lucas Power Steering Conditioner, draw off some of the old fluid, just enough to get the whole container in, in a short time your power steering will work great again.

I had an 88 I was going to change the rack on, I tried a container of the Lucas product, and I never had to change that rack, I believe in this stuff.
Thanks a million...I'll give the power steering conditioner a try. Sorry for the confusion on the post...it was just odd that all these events happened within 2 days of each other and I thought one had something to do with the other.

Thanks again and I'll let you know if it works.

Tim
Old 04-25-2013, 05:13 AM
cfwp.n41
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by bob guzzy

Bob, thanks a million. Went to the auto parts store, bought some Lucas Conditioner, drained some fluid off (which was low btw) and within 2 minutes of driving, all her symptoms were gone!
Really appreciate it...as a Navy guy who transferred from Mechanicsburg, PA, to Hawaii, a big thanks to a fellow Pennsylvanian!
-Tim

Get notified of new replies

To New Vette Owner --- steering moans!

Quick Reply: New Vette Owner --- steering moans!