C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Brake replacement question

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2013, 08:56 PM
dheiser
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Brake replacement question

I'm replacing front/rear pads, rotors and shocks. The difficulty is opening rear caliper piston with new pads so it can fit over the rotor. No problem with the front calipers but the rear I can't seem to figure out. I'm sure there is an explaination out there please.
Old 04-20-2013, 09:16 PM
vinniemc
Racer

I had to pry one of my calipers with the back end of a hammer to get the piston to move back in. It seemed like it was stuck but it moved.
Old 04-20-2013, 09:20 PM
DinoBob
Melting Slicks

Received 365 Likes on 206 Posts

When you compress a piston in a caliper, open the bleeder screw and let the fluid drin back through it. Do not let it drain back through the system as the garbage in the caliper will get into some other component and ruin it. Cannot tell you how many master cylinders I have seen die two weeks after the brake job.
Old 04-13-2014, 03:34 PM
rfain1952
8th Gear

I have the same problem, trying to replace rear pads on 1991, Just can't fit caliper over new pads. I even disconnected the e-brake but no success. I have compressed it as far as it will go and no luck. Any tips?
Old 04-13-2014, 03:36 PM
rfain1952
8th Gear

Default 1991 Rear Brake pad replacement

I tried replacing my rear brake pads and can't get the caliper over the new pads. I even disconnected the e-brake but still no success. Is there some trick to doing this, the piston is pushed in with a c -clamp and seems to be against a hard stop.
Old 04-13-2014, 07:02 PM
Deakins
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If I remember correctly the parking brake assembly on these cars utilizes a worm gear to force pressure against the pad. With those set ups you need to rent a tool that will both press and turn them back into the caliper. Then they will fit. Just my .02
Old 04-15-2014, 11:34 PM
Klondike
Race Director

Received 110 Likes on 89 Posts

Look on the surface of the piston where it contacts the pads. If it has a couple of little holes in the surface, they are the ratcheting type that keeps the E-brake from going slack as the pads wear. Most auto stores sell a multi-tool that fits a 3/8" ratchet. It has several patterns and spacing of little studs that fit in those piston holes. Clean off the piston rubber bellows so it can slip on the piston when it is turned, and you just screw the piston back down into the caliper like a bolt until the pads will fit over the rotor.
Open the bleeder like they said above so the nasty old fluid doesn't go back up the brake lines.
Old 04-16-2014, 09:40 AM
rfain1952
8th Gear

Originally Posted by Klondike
Look on the surface of the piston where it contacts the pads. If it has a couple of little holes in the surface, they are the ratcheting type that keeps the E-brake from going slack as the pads wear. Most auto stores sell a multi-tool that fits a 3/8" ratchet. It has several patterns and spacing of little studs that fit in those piston holes. Clean off the piston rubber bellows so it can slip on the piston when it is turned, and you just screw the piston back down into the caliper like a bolt until the pads will fit over the rotor.
Open the bleeder like they said above so the nasty old fluid doesn't go back up the brake lines.
This style is not a ratcheting type, I disconnected the e-brake and that made no difference, also the e-brake was against a stop and not pushing on the pads. The piston moves freely, just does not appear to go in far enough to get on new pads. Going to take a second look this weekend. I looked at pics of the caliper assembly. I have seen several comments on nthis forum, but no hard here is what is wrong.Thanks
Old 04-16-2014, 12:02 PM
Smokeysvette
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by rfain1952
This style is not a ratcheting type, I disconnected the e-brake and that made no difference, also the e-brake was against a stop and not pushing on the pads. The piston moves freely, just does not appear to go in far enough to get on new pads. Going to take a second look this weekend. I looked at pics of the caliper assembly. I have seen several comments on nthis forum, but no hard here is what is wrong.Thanks
I'll be closely watching this thread as I plan on doing a full brake job on my car very soon. I have about 35% left and that's when I like to replace pads. I usually open the master cylinder or bleeder and just collapse my calipers very slowly by using a very large channel lock pliers.

Old 04-16-2014, 04:31 PM
rfain1952
8th Gear

Originally Posted by Smokeysvette
I'll be closely watching this thread as I plan on doing a full brake job on my car very soon. I have about 35% left and that's when I like to replace pads. I usually open the master cylinder or bleeder and just collapse my calipers very slowly by using a very large channel lock pliers.

The fronts are easy...there must be a trick to the backs...I am punting and taking it to the dealer, if I learn a trick to the back I will be sure to post it here. I putzed around taking the e-brake assembly off opening the bleeder it just seems the caliper will only push back so far. I have basically nothing left on the pads, it only has 46000 miles so everything is original.
Old 04-16-2014, 05:23 PM
hooked073
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

make sure the park brake cable has slack in it. To be honest I hate the calipers on the back of these things. I have seen so many problems by pushing the pistons back in with these that I no longer do it. I buy loaded calipers and replace the thw lines and calipers
Old 04-16-2014, 06:01 PM
rfain1952
8th Gear

Originally Posted by hooked073
make sure the park brake cable has slack in it. To be honest I hate the calipers on the back of these things. I have seen so many problems by pushing the pistons back in with these that I no longer do it. I buy loaded calipers and replace the thw lines and calipers
I even disconnected the e-brake completely, going to let the Chevy dealer do it and see what the trick is.
Old 04-16-2014, 06:23 PM
hooked073
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I even disconnected the e-brake completely, going to let the Chevy dealer do it and see what the trick is.
You'll be money ahead if you buy loaded calipers. I had a fleet of cars with these calipers on them I hate them after back to back problems I only replace the complete caliper and hose when touching them. And in all honestly I never just squzzxe on pads any more on anything for the cost of reman loaded calipers and a brake hose it is worth the piece of mind.
Old 04-16-2014, 08:34 PM
seijack
Burning Brakes

Received 182 Likes on 127 Posts

Default Rear Caliper

Almost all REAR brake calipers that have an e-brake on them need a special tool to fully seat the piston back into the piston bore. It can NOT be seated by using a c clamp. You must install the special tool on a
3/8 ratchet and engage the tools **** into the piston. This will allow you to screw the piston back into the bore. I believe you need to turn the piston clockwise to get piston back into the bore so you can install the pads in the caliper and the caliper over the rotor . When installing the pads in the rear caliper you must line up the tit on back of the pad with a slot in the face of the piston. This keeps the piston from rotating when the brakes are applied.

Last edited by seijack; 04-17-2014 at 08:01 AM.
Old 04-16-2014, 09:21 PM
newbie2vette
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by seijack
Listen carefully, almost all REAR brake calipers that have an e-brake on them need a special tool to fully seat the piston back into the piston bore. It can NOT be seated by using a c clamp. You must install the special tool on a
3/8 ratchet and engage the tools **** into the piston. This will allow you to screw the piston back into the bore. I believe you need to turn the piston clockwise to get piston back into the bore so you can install the pads in the caliper and the caliper over the rotor . When installing the pads in the rear caliper you must line up the tit on back of the pad with a slot in the face of the piston. This keeps the piston from rotating when the brakes are applied. Trust me, I used to work for a brake manufacturer....
I guess I was lucky when I replaced all the brake pads on my 92, I used a medium size "C" clamp to compress the piston. Oh yeah, before I do any brake job. I use my special tool to suck the fluid from the reservoir so when you compress the caliper piston dirty brake fluid fill some what fill the reservoir, then suck that out also.
Old 04-25-2014, 08:27 AM
rfain1952
8th Gear

Originally Posted by newbie2vette
I guess I was lucky when I replaced all the brake pads on my 92, I used a medium size "C" clamp to compress the piston. Oh yeah, before I do any brake job. I use my special tool to suck the fluid from the reservoir so when you compress the caliper piston dirty brake fluid fill some what fill the reservoir, then suck that out also.
I gave up and took it to the Chevy dealer...all the tech did was to loosen the bracket and put the inboard pad in first, it is tight but it seems maybe the trick is to loosen the bracket. i will give that a try but will be a few miles down the road.
Old 04-25-2014, 10:05 AM
hcbph
Safety Car

Received 526 Likes on 476 Posts

Default Bracket

I gave up and took it to the Chevy dealer...all the tech did was to loosen the bracket and put the inboard pad in first, it is tight but it seems maybe the trick is to loosen the bracket. i will give that a try but will be a few miles down the road.
I'm old school but I've had to loosen the bracket on almost every vehicle I've put brakes into, still do it today. Once on, just tighten everything up. Don't know if it's supposed to be required or not, just seems to be a fact of life on the ones I've worked on.

Get notified of new replies

To Brake replacement question

Old 04-26-2014, 08:55 AM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by hcbph
I'm old school but I've had to loosen the bracket on almost every vehicle I've put brakes into, still do it today. Once on, just tighten everything up. Don't know if it's supposed to be required or not, just seems to be a fact of life on the ones I've worked on.
I just installed new pads on my 90 ZR-1, and where the rear passenger side went on OK, the driver's side took a little tapping on the caliper housing to seat the caliper.

I didn't think that was right. So, this thread has my attention. But, when you refer to loosening the "bracket", I'm not sure what you're talking about. At the risk of sounding ignorant, what bracket??

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-26-2014, 08:57 PM
gmandera
8th Gear

I just used a pair of channel locks and squeezed the pistons in while leaving the old pads on. That way the new ones don't get chewed up. Once the piston is in then install the new pads
Old 04-27-2014, 12:53 PM
rfain1952
8th Gear

Originally Posted by Paul Workman
I just installed new pads on my 90 ZR-1, and where the rear passenger side went on OK, the driver's side took a little tapping on the caliper housing to seat the caliper.

I didn't think that was right. So, this thread has my attention. But, when you refer to loosening the "bracket", I'm not sure what you're talking about. At the risk of sounding ignorant, what bracket??

Thanks in advance.
The bracket that attaches the caliper to the car. They took it completely off to lube the pins and left the caliper bracket loose when installing the pads then tightened everything up.

Quick Reply: Brake replacement question