Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 02:14 PM
RollaMo-LT4
Race Director

Received 141 Likes on 116 Posts
2021 C4 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Originally Posted by JT-Monster-
personaly no point in getting a sports car that is Automatic.

If only that were true.

Fact is, there are far more automatics sold in the US than manuals.
Old 04-17-2013, 02:25 PM
JT-Monster-
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wich is why I used the terms "personaly" and "thats just me" im sure sales accross the US do not show / match my persenal preferance
Old 04-17-2013, 03:22 PM
Slow_Lane
Racer

In my case I just happened to buy an automatic. My wife can drive a manual but prefers an automatic. If I were to buy another, I'd probably go for a manual for my "fun" car, though I think the 700R/L98 combo works pretty well and doesn't leave much on the table provided you have the right rear end gear.

I have autoXed (not seriously) a handful of cars...
87 Dodge Shadow Turbo - Automatic (first time for autoX)
96 Plymouth Neon - Automatic (sucked but you gotta run what you have - young family)
82 Trans Am - Manual - (Ok, I definately like RWD better but the car was pretty worn out)
92 Miata - Manual (bought for AutoX, never was competitive with it, got made fun of a lot by male peers
88 Formula 350 - Automatic (Best car for me and my driving style...earned trophies in this one)
04 Mustang GT - Manual (never was competitive in this car either, though it was fun)

Have yet to AutoX the 89 C4 Automatic but I am hoping if/when I do that some of the magic from the 350 Formula will resurface.

Bottom line...do I suck as a driver...maybe, though I can wield a stick on the road as well as anybody...in AutoX I seem to do better with two pedals.
Old 04-17-2013, 07:41 PM
blacknwhite92
Heel & Toe

My Mom is 83 and still drives her manual tranny car, so it's definitely not a "female" issue.

Personally, I think the reason there are so many autos sold is that the majority of drivers under 50 never learned how to drive manual, and many are probably reluctant to admit so over machismo.

I'm 56 and in Drivers Ed we had simulators that were 3 speed manuals (on the column) that we were required to learn. I'm sure that stopped long ago....thus the new generations reliant on autos shifting for them.

No offense meant, just a changing of the times.
Old 04-17-2013, 07:43 PM
TommyFox
Melting Slicks

Received 303 Likes on 210 Posts

:beatdeadh orse::beat deadhorse: :beatdeadh orse::beat deadhorse:
Old 04-17-2013, 08:05 PM
H P Bushrod

Received 109 Likes on 84 Posts
CI 5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Old 04-17-2013, 08:49 PM
PLRX
Team Owner

Received 501 Likes on 342 Posts
Co-winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C4 of Year
2016 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Originally Posted by Sweet 90

Mine is "Ours" and Hers is "Hers" ...............How come?
LOL, Looks like somebody is dating my ex-wife. I gave that bitch a kick to the curb so hard that she hasn't fall yet.
Old 04-17-2013, 09:11 PM
True Mountaneer
Instructor

My Dad is 73,and you couldn't give him an automatic pick-up.He's of the generation that thinks automatics are unreliable ..I used to think that too,and if I would have bought my Vette new I would have gotten the 6 speed,but I can't help to think that the automatics have most likely been babied more..
Old 04-17-2013, 09:23 PM
captainkawasaki
Instructor

All five of my vehicles are stick and my wife drives them like a champ (except the motorcycle). She doesn't care for driving the Vette since it's my 'baby'.
Old 04-17-2013, 10:12 PM
TommyFox
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by captainkawasaki
All five of my vehicles are stick and my wife drives them like a champ (except the motorcycle). She doesn't care for driving the Vette since it's my 'baby'.
That did not come out right.
Old 04-18-2013, 10:32 AM
laurieb
Instructor

Originally Posted by blacknwhite92
My Mom is 83 and still drives her manual tranny car, so it's definitely not a "female" issue.

Personally, I think the reason there are so many autos sold is that the majority of drivers under 50 never learned how to drive manual, and many are probably reluctant to admit so over machismo.

I'm 56 and in Drivers Ed we had simulators that were 3 speed manuals (on the column) that we were required to learn. I'm sure that stopped long ago....thus the new generations reliant on autos shifting for them.

No offense meant, just a changing of the times.
I don't think that's offensive. I think you're likely on track. My husband, who is 66, feels the same way. He also feels that everyone should, at the least, get some experience driving a manual transmission while taking driver's ed. Not a bad idea. He was taught on a manual tranny. I wasn't taught until I purchased one and had to learn. Yeah...I bought a car I didn't know how to drive yet LOL. My first husband could drive manual and we bought the car together so he could teach me. After I learned manual, I never went back - until now. I still love driving manual, though, and something tells me we'll end up with another Vette, but the second one will have a manual tranny. I do kind of miss it, even though I love our Vette with the automatic.
Old 04-18-2013, 10:41 AM
Aaron Keating
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To get a stick I'm willing to go down 2 Cylinders if necessary (providing it's the right V6 and if I can put some gears in the back of the thing) to get a stick.

That being said there are things I love about the old slush box. Just footbrake it, launch it and blow people's doors off -every- time being one of them. And for city cruising it's easier.

I still miss my Bird though. Ideally imma have both a stick car and a slusho. I've just about given up getting a stick shift C4 though, there just weren't many of them made, and alot of the ones that were have been beaten within an inch of their lives. My 89 has proven to me enough already that it's hard finding an 89 in good shape as it is.
Old 04-18-2013, 10:58 AM
bb62
Safety Car

Received 361 Likes on 216 Posts

Neither Corvette that I own even came available with an automatic. I can't imaging driving these two cars with automatics and having the same fun.
Old 04-18-2013, 11:37 AM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Originally Posted by RollaMo-LT4
My wife will drive "ours" from time to time, and it is a manual.
So, they can drive them.
X2 here. If the woman can't drive a stick...teach her. ALL good women should know how to "handle a stick" properly!
Old 04-18-2013, 11:57 AM
Mtn Billy
Instructor

Originally Posted by lt4obsesses
Now that you've found "her" car, I guess it's time for you to start searching for "your" car.
Originally Posted by RollaMo-LT4
My wife will drive "ours" from time to time, and it is a manual.
So, they can drive them.

Yup you gotta get yours now. Be careful though, if yours is nicer than hers you will be sleeping in yours.....
Old 04-18-2013, 02:33 PM
rocco16
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by John A. Marker
have the transmission shop pull the old converter and install one with a higher stall point. When you put your foot into it the higher stall will get you into your RPM band sooner and you will fly. But as a daily driver you will not notice any difference
Oh, yes, you will. I put a high stall in a DD once.
I had it out and replaced with a stock converter within a week. Pain in the rear, it was.

Many is the time I've wish for an automatic in the Vette. Also, many is the time I'm glad for the manual.
For me, a Vette with an automatic is not quite a Corvette.

Larry
Old 04-18-2013, 03:07 PM
TommyFox
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by rocco16
Oh, yes, you will. I put a high stall in a DD once.
I had it out and replaced with a stock converter within a week. Pain in the rear, it was.

Many is the time I've wish for an automatic in the Vette. Also, many is the time I'm glad for the manual.
For me, a Vette with an automatic is not quite a Corvette.

Larry
You need to drive one with a race prepped auto, 3:73's and some actual horsepower/torque that is not equal to a Honda civic.

Get notified of new replies

To Different Perspective on Auto vs Manual

Old 04-19-2013, 05:19 AM
vittal
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've said it once and I'll say it again.
I learned to drive manuals and drove manuals for the most part of my early driving but then when I could afford something a little more than a Yugo or a Kia I bought an auto for the simple fact that when I kind of missed having a manual fine it would be great to be able to shift and play around but whenever I get stuck in traffic I remember that I would curse the clutch every minute 45 times over and realize that the benefits (for me that is) of an auto tranny far outweigh the benefits of a manual. So I decided that if I was buying another car I would really thing hard about weather I'd take a manual over an auto tranny. So even when I bought the vette I decided on an auto just because I felt like it and don't regret it.
Old 04-19-2013, 06:43 AM
Retxpres
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My wife will not hesitate to drive my Automatic Vet. She has never driven my 6-speed Challenger RT.

There are times that I wish my Vet had a stick and there are times that I wish my Challenger was a automatic. So I think it is a toss... MHO
Old 04-19-2013, 09:41 AM
TommyFox
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Retxpres
My wife will not hesitate to drive my Automatic Vet. She has never driven my 6-speed Challenger RT.

There are times that I wish my Vet had a stick and there are times that I wish my Challenger was a automatic. So I think it is a toss... MHO
My wife hates my Vette not because it's an auto for her Challenger SRT8 is an auto. She just hates Vettes. So she bought a 96 GTS to show me up.

Quick Reply: Different Perspective on Auto vs Manual