locknessmonster
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 04-12-2013, 11:15 AM
Aaron Keating
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by locknessmonster
TY so much! I will double check on all of this. As for the miles, the car has about 150,000 on the body, but engine was rebuilt 40,000 mi ago. All the paperwork is there to prove it. About 8,000 was put into the engine and other parts. The car was always garaged, never seen snow. I just know I want a fast car that I don't really have to do anything to because A. I am def not mechanically inclined and B. I don't have any time to do anything. I just hear all this negative talk about these Camaros, but at the same time I heard a lot of negative stuff about my 84 vette when I was buying it. Thank you so much again!! You guys are so helpful
Oh and if she has T Tops on her, make sure you check the T Top gaskets, and the T Top locks, they should unlock smooth as well glass on level ground. The Gen 4 cars largely don't have leaking issues like the previous Gen Camaros did on the T Tops but it still happens.

The Gen 4 is a great car, especially if it's been already modded out of the box. There's some suspension stuff I'd look into getting if you're intending on really putting the car through her paces on a track or autocross if they haven't done it already. (Like the rear trailing arms and panhard rod... I'd put those at the top of the list to upgrade. Those 2 parts are also incredibly easy to swap even for someone that is not mechanically inclined. Just takes some elbow grease).

There's a reason why my mom wound up with one... then later I did (I got a 96 used. And I -still- miss that car despite having the Vette now) and then finally I got one for my dad.

They're pretty dependable too as drivers, and they'll cut corners up like thanks giving turkeys, especially if you end up putting Vette Wheels and Rubber on em. (and they bolt right on, quite literally!)

The biggest pitfalls of the F cars were their interiors, and some of the issues I mentioned previously. I'm going to get another one some day I loved mine that much. Very much a drivers car.
Old 04-12-2013, 11:18 AM
locknessmonster
Instructor

Originally Posted by Aaron Keating
Oh and if she has T Tops on her, make sure you check the T Top gaskets, and the T Top locks, they should unlock smooth as well glass on level ground. The Gen 4 cars largely don't have leaking issues like the previous Gen Camaros did on the T Tops but it still happens.

The Gen 4 is a great car, especially if it's been already modded out of the box. There's some suspension stuff I'd look into getting if you're intending on really putting the car through her paces on a track or autocross if they haven't done it already. (Like the rear trailing arms and panhard rod... I'd put those at the top of the list to upgrade. Those 2 parts are also incredibly easy to swap even for someone that is not mechanically inclined. Just takes some elbow grease).

There's a reason why my mom wound up with one... then later I did (I got a 96 used. And I -still- miss that car despite having the Vette now) and then finally I got one for my dad.

They're pretty dependable too as drivers, and they'll cut corners up like thanks giving turkeys, especially if you end up putting Vette Wheels and Rubber on em. (and they bolt right on, quite literally!)

The biggest pitfalls of the F cars were their interiors, and some of the issues I mentioned previously. I'm going to get another one some day I loved mine that much. Very much a drivers car.
It is good to see someone who like them. Thanks for all these things to check for, I will make sure there are no issues... I posted my pics, although I am not sure if the link worked, there should be pics of the engine in there as well as some others. Thanks again!!
Old 04-12-2013, 11:26 AM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

There you go...
Old 04-12-2013, 11:27 AM
FOURSPEEDVETTE
Safety Car

Received 224 Likes on 156 Posts

Rust Relics? Really guys?

I've seen TAs (not so much Camaros) going for about the same cost as a C5.. and then some around the price of used C6s.

why not just have both?
I'd be leery myself if the guy wants to trade you for the Vette. The 94 Z28 if it's truly in good shape (and I'm assuming he's got a Stick in it with his other mods?) isn't something I'd give up, as a fan of both F cars and the Vettes unless something was direly wrong with it.

Though he might be trading to get something ''more tame''. Assuming it really is modified. Because as tom below mentions, all LTs have roller rockers, and aluminum heads anyway from the factory. Racing sensors indeed...

If it were me, in your place I wouldn't take it. Get a TA instead (looks better in my opinion, and it's body is abit stiffer than the Zs) and keep your C4. Unless you've -really- had seat time with the Z (more than just a trip 'round the block).

Now if your car is in worse shape than his? I'd take the Z. For one thing the Z will become more collectable a whole lot sooner than the C4 will. (or C5 for that matter) But only if you've ridden shotgun with the guy alot, driven his car for a good while (more than 10 minutes), and had a chance to -really- go through the car. I just have a hard time seeing someone giving up a modded gen 4 F car for a crossfire vette. Something's not right with this picture man.

If you want I can try to find you another F car in your area, or one in mine if you would rather me go through it if you're looking to get into F cars. Keep the Vette, and just add an F Car to your stable
Maybe "rusting relics" was a little harsh. But I tried to find a better description but couldn't come up with one. The T/A is a more desirable car in every way in my opinion. I don't ever see a 1994 Camaro Z28 being close to being a collectible. Too many were built falling into the same category as any C4. Those Camaro's are a dime a dozen right now with so many of them needing lots of body/paint and interior work. The whole car had serious integrity and workmanship issues from the factory.
Old 04-12-2013, 11:30 AM
locknessmonster
Instructor

haha thanks Tom!
Old 04-12-2013, 11:33 AM
locknessmonster
Instructor

1 more pic(hope I did it right)
Old 04-12-2013, 11:42 AM
Aaron Keating
Drifting

Well I see a stock Alternator on it right now, (which will inevitably need replaced) for the age of the car the engine bay is about average in cleanliness. I'm not 100 percent sure but I'm thinking it needs a brake job due to how awfully dark the brake fluid resevoir looks. It doesn't have a full cold air kit installed either, looks like 1/2 of a ''universal'' kit to me which is of questionable value.

Given how dark the bottom half of that fluid reservoir looks I'd consider a master cylinder replacement with the brake job (looks like the fluid has never been changed ever completely).

I don't see headers on it but then it's hard to see the headers on a Gen 4 from the Top Down like this view is. If you could get a shot of the sides. That'll tell us all in a heart beat how serious they were with the build up.

But judging from the alternator, brake master cylinder reservoir, (and it's got the Drum Brakes in the rear if that reservoir is anything to gauge from) and halfsies cold air kit, I think the biggest mods done to it so far look to be the seats and the stereo.

The Seats don't look like they'd be particularly supportive during hard cornering certainly no better than the performance seats which came as an option for Z28s and came standard in Firebirds, Formulas and TAs.

I dunno man, but from so far I'd pass it up in your search for an F Car.
Old 04-12-2013, 11:46 AM
locknessmonster
Instructor

Well I see a stock Alternator on it right now, (which will inevitably need replaced) for the age of the car the engine bay is about average in cleanliness. I'm not 100 percent sure but I'm thinking it needs a brake job due to how awfully dark the brake fluid resevoir looks. It doesn't have a full cold air kit installed either, looks like 1/2 of a ''universal'' kit to me which is of questionable value.

Given how dark the bottom half of that fluid reservoir looks I'd consider a master cylinder replacement with the brake job (looks like the fluid has never been changed ever completely).

I don't see headers on it but then it's hard to see the headers on a Gen 4 from the Top Down like this view is. If you could get a shot of the sides. That'll tell us all in a heart beat how serious they were with the build up.

But judging from the alternator, brake master cylinder reservoir, (and it's got the Drum Brakes in the rear if that reservoir is anything to gauge from) and halfsies cold air kit, I think the biggest mods done to it so far look to be the seats and the stereo.

The Seats don't look like they'd be particularly supportive during hard cornering certainly no better than the performance seats which came as an option for Z28s and came standard in Firebirds, Formulas and TAs.

I dunno man, but from so far I'd pass it up in your search for an F Car.
Well they said they just replaced the master cylinder... so that is odd. Maybe these are old pics. Ill have to check back with them on some of this stuff. thanks
Old 04-12-2013, 11:48 AM
Aaron Keating
Drifting

Originally Posted by FOURSPEEDVETTE
Maybe "rusting relics" was a little harsh. But I tried to find a better description but couldn't come up with one. The T/A is a more desirable car in every way in my opinion. I don't ever see a 1994 Camaro Z28 being close to being a collectible. Too many were built falling into the same category as any C4. Those Camaro's are a dime a dozen right now with so many of them needing lots of body/paint and interior work. The whole car had serious integrity and workmanship issues from the factory.
To an extent all of the F Cars suffer from many of the same problems. the body panel fit on the Birdies tends to be better, (it also stays that way due to some reinforcement work they put in the birdies), Birdy got a the better gauges (red light vs white) the seats are usually 1000 percent better in the birdies but the nuts and bolts of the car are largely the same (read just about all the differences are the things I mentioned already heh)

The early Gen 4s particularly the chevys though yeah they have some issues. But good conditioned ones are every bit as good as a birdy. (they just don't look anywhere near as hawt and the seats usually Suuuck)
Old 04-12-2013, 12:05 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Old 04-12-2013, 12:09 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

In the head-on engine pic you can see the drivers side manifold is stock including the heat shield. That, combined with the "racing sensors" and 'aluminum heads', I'd want to see a dyno graph showing that it's 400 hp. THat CAI is probably worse than the stock intake (which would deliver colder air than that thing).
Old 04-12-2013, 12:36 PM
locknessmonster
Instructor

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI
In the head-on engine pic you can see the drivers side manifold is stock including the heat shield. That, combined with the "racing sensors" and 'aluminum heads', I'd want to see a dyno graph showing that it's 400 hp. THat CAI is probably worse than the stock intake (which would deliver colder air than that thing).
So, I asked for some side shots and if there was so much put into it why the engine looked so stock and the response I got was: "the only external parts of the engine is the cold air intake. it was bored .30 over with new rollers a cam, all performance parts were used to rebuild it. shes fast and loud! because it has 3.73 gears".... what you think? Take it out for a long ride and push her hard and check for all those things you guys said to look for? Or just pass it up and keep my vette and hope to be able to fix it up?
Old 04-12-2013, 12:54 PM
Aaron Keating
Drifting

Originally Posted by locknessmonster
So, I asked for some side shots and if there was so much put into it why the engine looked so stock and the response I got was: "the only external parts of the engine is the cold air intake. it was bored .30 over with new rollers a cam, all performance parts were used to rebuild it. shes fast and loud! because it has 3.73 gears".... what you think? Take it out for a long ride and push her hard and check for all those things you guys said to look for? Or just pass it up and keep my vette and hope to be able to fix it up?
They must have really wounded that engine at some point to bore it over and not drop the stock suck tastic manifolds.

I'd take her for a drive if I were you. If you know anyone that has a 90s C4, or a 90s Z to drive before you drive this one, it'll be a huge help since even if the car is stock it'll pull a hell of alot harder than your 84 does, hell take one on a car lot for a quick test drive so you can get a baseline to work from.

It sounds to me though like she's a car to pass up on though. I could be wrong and you won't know till you see it in person, but from everything we've read and seen so far I'd be very hard up to trade a C4 for it.
To check the rear gears I'd put some kind of marking on the drive shaft, get the car jacked up in the rear put the trans in neutral and rotate the rear wheels. If you get almost 3 and 3/4 rotations out of the drive shaft vs one rotation of the wheel that'd be the right gear. Even the rear gearing at this point to me is suspect given how much of this car is stock.

Last edited by Aaron Keating; 04-12-2013 at 12:59 PM.
Old 04-12-2013, 02:47 PM
1984crossfirefuelie
Racer

I liked the 94 Camaro I was going to buy one but I didn't want the payment. IMO I would keep the 84 and do a few basic mods:
Port intake or x-ram or renegade
Lower rear gears
Bump up the timing and fuel pressure
Higher stall converter
Bigger injectors and bore the TB's
Exhaust
Better cam
Keep up the maintanace on it change fuel filter keep it well tuned.
Cut that hole near radiator to get more air into the engine
And you are driving a vette that will out corner that camaro. Plus the roof comes off and you have cool flippy headlights.

Keep it. As the years go by more C4's get wrecked and parted out. They will slowly go up in value.

Quick Reply: My 84 vette vs. 94 LT1 camaro?