C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

90 L98 crank case vent hose

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 06:59 AM
wedgeheaded
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 90 L98 crank case vent hose

My car idles a bit fast so I pulled the throtle body to clean it. I had to unhook this hose to get the TB off. It's OK, but now would be the time to swap it out. I pulled up Advance Auto and couldn't find it. I thought this would be a common part. Where should I look?
Old 03-03-2013, 08:03 AM
Churchkey
Melting Slicks

Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts

Normally PCV hose is packaged in a bulk length such as 3" in the auto box stores. NAPA should stock rolls & will cut what you need however it is sold by the foot. You need to know the required inside diameter.

You have been having idle issues suggest this set up from another post. The 90 TPS is non adjustable however the IAC reset & base idle setting will wotk.

NOTE: If the base idle has not been set previously there will be a small plug covering the adjustment screw hole that needs to be removed.

Connect a paper clip, to your diagnostic terminal under your dash connect to terminal A and B (the top right two pins).
Turn on ignition but don't run the engine.
wait at least 30 seconds and then remove the idle air valve connector (IAC) (the square plug) then turn of ignition and unplug the paperclip.
Now remove the timing connector a single wire near the fuel pump relay.
Start your vette and set the idle speed to 400 rpm in neutral (auto trans) 450 rpm (manual trans) then check your throttle position sensor,
the top two wires it should be set to 0.54volts dc, also confirm with engine off that the tps rises to 4.5 volts at full throttle.
Turn of the ignition and reconnect the iac valve connector and timing connecter and start your vette.
it should go to 1200 rpm then drop slowly to 600 rpm, take the car for a 15 minute drive with the usual stop lights.
It is normal for a little hunting while the ecm relearns, also do a few spirited take offs.
All should settle after 15 to 30 mins normal driving and have a stable idle.

Last edited by Churchkey; 03-03-2013 at 08:14 AM.
Old 03-03-2013, 10:24 AM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 318 Posts

http://www.ecklerscorvette.com/corve...1988-1992.html
Old 03-04-2013, 10:59 PM
wedgeheaded
Instructor

Originally Posted by Churchkey
Normally PCV hose is packaged in a bulk length such as 3" in the auto box stores. NAPA should stock rolls & will cut what you need however it is sold by the foot. You need to know the required inside diameter.

You have been having idle issues suggest this set up from another post. The 90 TPS is non adjustable however the IAC reset & base idle setting will wotk.

NOTE: If the base idle has not been set previously there will be a small plug covering the adjustment screw hole that needs to be removed.

Connect a paper clip, to your diagnostic terminal under your dash connect to terminal A and B (the top right two pins).
Turn on ignition but don't run the engine.
wait at least 30 seconds and then remove the idle air valve connector (IAC) (the square plug) then turn of ignition and unplug the paperclip.
Now remove the timing connector a single wire near the fuel pump relay.
Start your vette and set the idle speed to 400 rpm in neutral (auto trans) 450 rpm (manual trans) then check your throttle position sensor,
the top two wires it should be set to 0.54volts dc, also confirm with engine off that the tps rises to 4.5 volts at full throttle.
Turn of the ignition and reconnect the iac valve connector and timing connecter and start your vette.
it should go to 1200 rpm then drop slowly to 600 rpm, take the car for a 15 minute drive with the usual stop lights.
It is normal for a little hunting while the ecm relearns, also do a few spirited take offs.
All should settle after 15 to 30 mins normal driving and have a stable idle.
The plug is still there. I couldn't get it out easily and didn't want to get too rough though. What's it take to get it out? I have the shop manual, it mentions the IAC procedure. I figured it was best to replace the hoses first to make sure I had no vac. leaks. I want to check for diognostic codes too but again, I want the best case senario to start with.
Old 03-04-2013, 11:00 PM
wedgeheaded
Instructor

I need to make a list for these guys. Thanks
Old 03-05-2013, 07:55 AM
Churchkey
Melting Slicks

Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by wedgeheaded
The plug is still there. I couldn't get it out easily and didn't want to get too rough though. What's it take to get it out? I have the shop manual, it mentions the IAC procedure. I figured it was best to replace the hoses first to make sure I had no vac. leaks. I want to check for diognostic codes too but again, I want the best case senario to start with.
I use an ice pick to tap a small hole in the plug then screw a sheet metal screw in, pull it out with plyers. Never replaced the plug.

Get notified of new replies

To 90 L98 crank case vent hose

Quick Reply: 90 L98 crank case vent hose