C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

How do I remove headliner from targa top

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2013, 06:40 PM
JUSBAD
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How do I remove headliner from targa top

What exactly needs to be done to remove the headliner from the targa top, my headliner is sagging and I am going to replace it.
Old 02-23-2013, 07:10 PM
jtownc4
Instructor

Originally Posted by JUSBAD
What exactly needs to be done to remove the headliner from the targa top, my headliner is sagging and I am going to replace it.

There is about a 1/2" thick piece of rigid insulation that the fabric is glued to. It is then glued to the underside of the roof. No clips or trim... I used a putty knife to work the edges of the insulation loose enough to get my fingers under it and I started pulling, it all came off in one big piece. It left some chunks of the insulation where the spray glue was thick, then I scraped the chunks off as well....

I decided to not replace my insulation in favor of a little more much needed extra headroom. I glued my new headliner material right onto the underside of my roof panel, and if you didn't know it had insulation there from the factory, you could never tell it wasn't supposed to be the way I installed mine. There is even a little lip the whole way around that I was able to tuck the edge of the headliner material under for a suprisingly professional looking job.

If you wanted to reinstall the insulation, you would wrap it in headliner material, then glue it back up in...
Old 02-23-2013, 07:13 PM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 318 Posts

The headliner foam is glued to the fiberglass top. It would have to be separated from the top with something slid between the foam and top. I used a putty knife on one that worked pretty well. Once the old fabric is removed and the new headliner material is glued on the foam the foam is then reglued back onto the top. There is a spray adhesive specially made to secure the fabric to the foam called "headliner adhesive" and this is the best glue to use for this job .....WW

Last edited by WW7; 02-23-2013 at 07:16 PM.
Old 02-23-2013, 07:43 PM
BSenzina
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have an 84 and mine is held in place by 5 or 6 velcro strips. I just gave it a pull.
Old 02-23-2013, 09:46 PM
Speedjester
Racer

I just pulled it down. Sanded it down smooth to remove the glue and help the paint adhere ...Then I painted it a satin black...looks great and I have extra headroom
Old 02-24-2013, 09:21 AM
WGlen C4
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I took the material off because mine was sagging when I bought the car. I scraped down the foam until it was level and them applied headliner glue. I let the glue dry on the foam and also on the fake leather that I was mounting. after an hour I sprayed both again and applied to the foam. Worked great but I am going to put a rolled vinyl bead around the outside of the pleather. I tried to use black with a red pleather strip down the center but you need a special sewing machine to sew that stuff well.

I kept the foam because I heard that it cut down noise and heat from the sun on the roof panel.

I have pictures of mine but can't post them on here.

Get notified of new replies

To How do I remove headliner from targa top

Quick Reply: How do I remove headliner from targa top