C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Finned Aluminum Valve Covers

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2013, 10:25 AM
jtownc4
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finned Aluminum Valve Covers

So I recently installed a pair of Cal Custom finned aluminum valve covers on my 95.

Everything is still filthy and I apologize for that... I plan on polishing the top of my intake to match also...

The only fitment issues I had was with a little chunk of un-necessary aluminum on the back of the alternator, and of course I had to grind off the 'made in USA' casting off the back of the alternator, but I really don't care. I needed a washer between the intake and the bracket that is above the drivers side that is bolted to the back of the alternator and compressor. I had to grind a little off the bottom of that bracket also.
Old 02-23-2013, 05:17 PM
Erniep
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I painted my fuel rail covers in black metallic. Then I clearcoated them. In case you were looking for ideas.

Last edited by Erniep; 02-23-2013 at 05:21 PM.
Old 02-23-2013, 05:24 PM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Received 400 Likes on 327 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by jtownc4
So I recently installed a pair of Cal Custom finned aluminum valve covers on my 95.

Everything is still filthy and I apologize for that... I plan on polishing the top of my intake to match also...

The only fitment issues I had was with a little chunk of un-necessary aluminum on the back of the alternator, and of course I had to grind off the 'made in USA' casting off the back of the alternator, but I really don't care. I needed a washer between the intake and the bracket that is above the drivers side that is bolted to the back of the alternator and compressor. I had to grind a little off the bottom of that bracket also.
I like it!

If there's any way to relocate the transverse lines (fuel lines?), that might be worth the visual effect. IOW, put them further back against the firewall.

Should look great when you're finished.

Old 02-23-2013, 05:28 PM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Received 400 Likes on 327 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

And, going with the theme of the thread, here's my finned VC's...
Old 02-23-2013, 05:46 PM
jtownc4
Instructor

Originally Posted by GREGGPENN

Originally I was thinking about these, I really like the script Corvette... But... With having a 95 and the fuel rail covers having the same word in a different font, I thought it might be a little repetative. I have looked at I don't know how many different non stock fuel rail covers and I really don't like the plain stamped hunk of stainless, not my style, I just don't like them. What I do really like about the stock plastic fuel rail covers is the word Corvette molded into them. But what I don't like is the fact that they are plastic. So I think I am going to sand cast a pair with aluminum. I've been looking online here at how relatively easy it is to build a capable furnace.... Although I haven't cast anything since I was in high school shop class, I did enough foundry projects to be pretty familiar with the process.... And I'm almost 100% certain nobody makes sand cast aluminum Corvette LT1 fuel rail covers, I'm sure Google would have found me a pair by now if such a thing existed, right?
Old 02-23-2013, 05:58 PM
jtownc4
Instructor

I like it!

If there's any way to relocate the transverse lines (fuel lines?), that might be worth the visual effect. IOW, put them further back against the firewall.

Should look great when you're finished.

Thanks man!

I think my next project is actually going to be braided hoses... I know they are overkill and somewhat spendy, but once they are done, I never have to worry about a hose on this car again. All of them, heater hoses (I can make my own throttle body bypass in the process) vacuum lines radiator hoses AC etc, with the real ends everywhere possible, not those hose clamp covers... So that will 'tie the room together' so to speak about the fuel lines.... And I like braided stainless lines, I think they look cool, that has to factor in somewhere doesn't it?
Old 02-23-2013, 06:07 PM
Erniep
Racer

Wow, that looks great..
Old 02-23-2013, 07:18 PM
Erniep
Racer

Originally Posted by jtownc4
Thanks man!

I think my next project is actually going to be braided hoses... I know they are overkill and somewhat spendy, but once they are done, I never have to worry about a hose on this car again. All of them, heater hoses (I can make my own throttle body bypass in the process) vacuum lines radiator hoses AC etc, with the real ends everywhere possible, not those hose clamp covers... So that will 'tie the room together' so to speak about the fuel lines.... And I like braided stainless lines, I think they look cool, that has to factor in somewhere doesn't it?
Absolutely, have fun with your project. I know I am...

Get notified of new replies

To Finned Aluminum Valve Covers

Quick Reply: Finned Aluminum Valve Covers