Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 01:06 PM
RetiredSFC 97
Team Owner

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10, '14

Originally Posted by aboatguy
Because most folks don't believe a C4 is cool or kick *** looking

Face it the average american gearhead thinks a C4 is a geezer's ride; hell some folks believe its mullet worthy, like the 80s F-bodies were.

Plus the ergonomics and practicallity of a C4 isn't the best for the average american.(OBESE and out of shape)

And then there's the biggest drawback with a vette and the reason I never wanted one when I was a young gear head;

No back seat and the cockpit is pretty tight for night-time acrobatics with Suzie Rottencrotch.

Mike
Mullet worthy

Damn man it's not that bad is it? The C4 is still one of the coolest vettes ever produced. And the LT4 will run with a stock C5 anyday.

But it's his car he can whatever he wants to do.
Old 02-18-2013, 01:11 PM
RetiredSFC 97
Team Owner

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10, '14

Originally Posted by aboatguy
C4 drivetrain would go great in a beautiful car like this 65 Malibu SS

IDK what is in that 65. I just saw it out and about today. It reminded me of my 1964 convertable Malibu SS that I cut up as a kid IOT fit a spare 454. Man I liked driving Suzie around the back of that 64.

MIke
I have seen several C4 drive trains in a lot of different type of old hot rods and old trucks.

I have a picture

Old 02-18-2013, 04:57 PM
mike100
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by dizwiz24
Im cool with it.

Look, he's providing parts to people like us who need them,

Second if it was a restorable vehicle, he prob would have done it.
I'm not so sure. Dismantlers may love the cars they part out, but they can't help themselves once they get one cheap enough. They are worth more in parts if you have the time and place to break one down.

I saw a 20k mile LT1 car that ran parted out just because it was purchased real cheaply. Damn shame (but at least it was an automatic ).
Old 02-19-2013, 08:47 AM
96 Vette CE
Banned Loser
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: They say you learn from your mistakes, I must be a genius
Received 248 Likes on 114 Posts
2017 Corvette of the Year
2016 C4 of Year Finalist
Creator of the "Original" whining and crying thread
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by RetiredSFC 97
I have seen several C4 drive trains in a lot of different type of old hot rods and old trucks.

I have a picture

Very nice!
Old 02-19-2013, 08:57 AM
bb62
Safety Car

Received 361 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by mike100
I'm not so sure. Dismantlers may love the cars they part out, but they can't help themselves once they get one cheap enough. They are worth more in parts if you have the time and place to break one down.

I saw a 20k mile LT1 car that ran parted out just because it was purchased real cheaply. Damn shame (but at least it was an automatic ).
I remember seeing the same thing happen back in the mid-70s with people restoring C2s and buying multiple cars to bring one back to life. When the C4s get rare enough through this attrition, the values will increase due to simple supply and demand. The real question is of the 356K C4s produced, how many still survive? I would bet that more than half of the early C4s are already gone and that at least 1/3 of the later C4s are gone. Just my gut feeling though, not driven by hard data.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:24 AM
aboatguy
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by bb62
I remember seeing the same thing happen back in the mid-70s with people restoring C2s and buying multiple cars to bring one back to life. When the C4s get rare enough through this attrition, the values will increase due to simple supply and demand. The real question is of the 356K C4s produced, how many still survive? I would bet that more than half of the early C4s are already gone and that at least 1/3 of the later C4s are gone. Just my gut feeling though, not driven by hard data.
I remember looking at lots of 63-67 small block vettes in the late 70s to early 90s and the prices were stupid cheap. ($2-4K for decent looking running cars) But I liked BB Chevelle SS (love a back seat and head room) The ealry C3s were in the same boat but I could find BB C3s. Back then the story was a BB C3 was useless since it was nose heavy and would overheat.
Things go in cycles. If the tree huggers and the everyone must pay their share folks, global equality, etc don't prevail, someday C4s will be cool again. If they do prevail prepare to fight for an empty refrigerator box over a steam grate in the winter.

However, enjoy them while they are affordable, plentiful and unnoticed.

Mike

Last edited by aboatguy; 02-19-2013 at 10:28 AM.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:29 AM
DinoBob
Melting Slicks

Received 366 Likes on 207 Posts

Old 02-22-2013, 10:54 AM
RedLS1GTO
Race Director

Received 42 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Vette Daddy
They're (C4's) dime a dozen Corvettes. By the time they are truly collectable, most of us will be dead and gone anyway.

THEY SURE ARE FUN THOUGH!!!!!!!!!!
Pretty much sums it up.

Why would you go after an older, high mileage, worn out car to build a project? Looks like he wanted the entire driveline and suspension... I'd do the exact same thing.
Old 02-22-2013, 11:26 AM
RedLS1GTO
Race Director

Received 42 Likes on 9 Posts

I remember seeing the same thing happen back in the mid-70s with people restoring C2s ... When the C4s get rare enough through this attrition, the values will increase due to simple supply and demand.
... and demand. It takes more than rarity to increase value. Ford Pintos are rare. Chevettes are rare. There is no way that the C4 Corvette will ever see the demand that the previous generations saw. Prices will most likely come up from where they are now (let's face it, they can't really go down), but nowhere even remotely close to C2 levels.

The mathematical argument of value that is the most telling is in relation to the inflated value in today's dollars. For example, the base price in 1985 was $24,878... by inflation alone it would be over $52k today. A '96 is the equivalent of $54k today. Current values of even the BEST examples are nowhere near those numbers.

In contrast, a '67 stickered somewhere around $4,500 - $5,000 depending on trim which translates to $30-$40k in today's dollars. Obviously prices are all over the place depending on trim and condition but it is safe to say that the value of a '67 is ABOVE inflation.

Even the ZR1 is not even close. A '90 with a sticker of ~$60k would today need to sell for $103k. A '95 with a sticker of ~$68k would need to sell for $101k.

You can argue about the value of cars and prices going up all day long, but the simple fact is that unless it meets it's inflated cost, it has depreciated over it's life span.

Not even considering future inflation, how long do you think it will take for an '85 Corvette to be worth, on average, $52k? How long before ZR-1s are selling for well north of $100k? Until that happens, the C4 is not even in the same discussion as the previous cars in terms of value.
Old 02-23-2013, 12:27 AM
Tommy T-Bone
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14

It's just a 17 year old car. Chop it, burn it, put a neon light kit on it. Have fun with it. If you own it, you can fly it from a flagpole if you want. At least someone is getting a little joy out of it. Could be worse. They could store it unused in a garage for 20 years. Where's the fun in that?
Old 02-23-2013, 09:54 AM
anciano
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's just a 17 year old car. Chop it, burn it, put a neon light kit on it. Have fun with it. If you own it, you can fly it from a flagpole if you want. At least someone is getting a little joy out of it.
That kind of common-sense heresy can get you excommunicated from the ranks of the worshipful. Next you'll be saying something favorable about Miatas and your soul will be lost forever.
Old 02-23-2013, 10:19 AM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by anciano
Next you'll be saying something favorable about Miatas and your soul will be lost forever.
Miatas are the shiznit
Old 02-23-2013, 11:26 AM
Aaron Keating
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ch@0s
Miatas are the shiznit
So are 300ZXs and Supras
Old 02-23-2013, 11:41 AM
aboatguy
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Tommy T-Bone
It's just a 17 year old car. Chop it, burn it, put a neon light kit on it. Have fun with it. If you own it, you can fly it from a flagpole if you want. At least someone is getting a little joy out of it. Could be worse. They could store it unused in a garage for 20 years. Where's the fun in that?

Quick Reply: this will make you sick