C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

this will make you sick

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 12:02 PM
mrmtrtrnd
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've seen a number on hot rods go through the auction houses with C4 or C5 running gear so this happens a lot theses days. Not everyone is has crazy about these cars as we are. Wish they wouldn't use such a low mileage car like that one.
Old 02-15-2013, 12:06 PM
FASTAZU
Race Director

Received 910 Likes on 583 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods)
2018 C4 of Year Finalist
2015 C4 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '16
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Would make a nice LS? conversion
Old 02-15-2013, 01:00 PM
bb62
Safety Car

Received 361 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by aboatguy
Because most folks don't believe a C4 is cool or kick *** looking
Mike
I'm not sure I agree with these comments. Sure there are people who don't appreciate the subtle looks of the C4 as compared to the over the top C3 that came before it, but I doubt that "most" people view it that way. And from what I've seen, most who take a good look at my 95 ZR-1 DO consider it to be both cool and ***-kicking - especially with that rear rubber.

Face it the average american gearhead thinks a C4 is a geezer's ride; hell some folks believe its mullet worthy, like the 80s F-bodies were.
Mike
This is the same thing that all Corvette generations believe - that the cars are old people cars. Fact is though that the C4, given the market value these days, probably has more youthful owners than any other generation.

Plus the ergonomics and practicallity of a C4 isn't the best for the average american.(OBESE and out of shape)
Mike
Neither is just about any Ferrari, old MG (or most British sports cars), Mazda Miata, any C1, any old Jag, etc.

And then there's the biggest drawback with a vette and the reason I never wanted one when I was a young gear head;

No back seat and the cockpit is pretty tight for night-time acrobatics with Suzie Rottencrotch.
Mike
No comment here.

The truth is that the C4 is simply the least expensive Corvette to use for hot rod components (whether suspension or powertrain) and will be so until the demand for these cars starts to outpace supply. In a way, it is a tribute to these cars that they are so cheap; why? Because any prior generation Corvette was lucky to live past 100,000 miles before heading to the scrap heap. The C4 with computers, electronic fuel injection, and other durability upgrades, can easily last 200,000 miles and more. This means that fewer of these cars will have hit the scrap heap and many are still plying the roads - and therefore supply outpaces demand for these older, but not quite "classic" vehicles.
Old 02-15-2013, 01:38 PM
Vette Daddy
Le Mans Master

Received 95 Likes on 45 Posts

They're (C4's) dime a dozen Corvettes. By the time they are truly collectable, most of us will be dead and gone anyway.

THEY SURE ARE FUN THOUGH!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Vette Daddy; 02-15-2013 at 03:24 PM.
Old 02-15-2013, 01:57 PM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

How do we know it was not hit on the other side or rear?Anyone in their right mind would not part out a car they could sell whole.
Old 02-15-2013, 02:15 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by Vette Daddy
They're (C4's) dime a dozen Corvettes. By the time they are truly collectable, most of us will be dead and gone anyway.
How dare you inject reality into a thread!!

Look at it this way at least there are some cherry replacement parts available. Gotta come from somewhere.

Vettes are just cars/toys, not items of worship sheesh.
Old 02-15-2013, 02:29 PM
mxnuke
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm new here but i will go with the best bang for the buck.I looked at mid -late c-3 vettes and a c-4 was light years ahead on what was on the car to hot rod.Not to bash c3s but my vette has a first gen bowtie 427 sb with a miniram etc and got it for less then the cost of the motor.no real resale unless someone wants a fast street car,but i love it ..and yes i know it has a orange stripe...lol..dennis
Old 02-15-2013, 03:00 PM
FOURSPEEDVETTE
Safety Car

Received 224 Likes on 156 Posts

Face it the average american gearhead thinks a C4 is a geezer's ride; hell some folks believe its mullet worthy, like the 80s F-bodies were.

Plus the ergonomics and practicallity of a C4 isn't the best for the average american.(OBESE and out of shape)

And then there's the biggest drawback with a vette and the reason I never wanted one when I was a young gear head;

No back seat and the cockpit is pretty tight for night-time acrobatics with Suzie Rottencrotch.

Mike
Yep! Sure sounds like an old "geezer" comment to me!
Old 02-15-2013, 11:40 PM
JrRifleCoach
Team Owner

Location: Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
Received 639 Likes on 443 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
Fred that the guy over on Woodley?
Ron, How about going over there and 8itch slapping that tool?!?

Old 02-16-2013, 01:15 AM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Received 394 Likes on 323 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
How dare you inject reality into a thread!!

Look at it this way at least there are some cherry replacement parts available. Gotta come from somewhere.

Vettes are just cars/toys, not items of worship sheesh.
Yeah...can't say I'm sick after my reading this thread. There are tons of nice C4's still out there and many with low miles. Just because one guy pulled and engine and decide to make money via a part-out, what's the big deal? If he made money at it, maybe he needed to.

Maybe that's the sick part...the indication of modern times.

Don't cry over someone else's car.

Wait til YOURS shoots craps bigtime. That's worth crying about!

May I have my click back?
Old 02-16-2013, 03:00 AM
gunnerjuju
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by anciano
Suzie got a stiff neck or something?
Lol. It ain't easy to reach across that center console either.
Old 02-16-2013, 07:01 AM
ghoastrider1
Le Mans Master

Received 265 Likes on 240 Posts

I agree, no problem with the part out, his car, his money, his time, his parts...and we all like nice replacement OE parts.As far as nitetime acrobatics..drove a 61 way babk in highschool (1966) and I know for a fact..cant be done. heck, the steering wheel was so large one couldnt even turn sideways to properly address (undress) the situation.Corvette earn a rep as a factory hotrod, the best offered to the piblic at a reasonable price and used vettes looked at with that in mind, plus the styling of course. Even the old movie ' Hot Rods to Hell" had one in it. part one out? heck yes, wish my next door neighbor ( well maybe not so close) parted out vettes.
Old 02-16-2013, 08:50 AM
mikeb
Team Owner

Received 173 Likes on 80 Posts
2023 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C3 of the Year Winner - Unmodified

Originally Posted by mazdaverx7
true, the parts are worth more than the car as a whole in most cases. in the case of the 96 in questions here, i believe that its was a slap in the face to Corvette enthusiasts to dismantle a good running, low mileage CE for parts. it just screams the lack of respect this self proclaimed "Corvette dismantler" has for Corvettes as a whole. sure its a necessary evil to part out cars that cannot be salvaged so that other ones may live on but in this case, its just plain rude.
Krist.
You're slapping my face.
aboatguy says I'm fat.
Pologreen's made me sick with posting this thread.
About the only thing I can agree with is "Most people think Budwiper tastes good".

I can't take it anymore., I'm gonna CHASLS2 out.
Old 02-16-2013, 09:28 AM
DinoBob
Melting Slicks

Received 363 Likes on 206 Posts

That's just disgusting. I wonder how the guy who sold it to him would feel.
I understand what's been said here about how C4s are not collectible, cool, bla bla bla...but this is just a lack of respect for the car. I would think this guy got it sans running gear.
Old 02-16-2013, 09:37 AM
DinoBob
Melting Slicks

Received 363 Likes on 206 Posts

As far as people who do not think C4s will be collectible; go price a 1968 Satellite coupe or Tempest. Or a 2-door Nova. 20 years ago those cars were worthless *****. I turned down a '68 Belvedere 2 door post for $125. With full running gear, not running but rolling. Imagine the idiocy of that now. Or the '70 GS for $500 that my buddy took 6 months to sell, which was running and driving. These were cars i could have had on the road in a weekend, not basket cases. As soon as most of the Junkers got parted and crushed and only the good ones were left, the guys who could not afford the cream of the crop started snapping them up. And they made TONS of them, so the production numbers on C4s mean nothing. It's how many are left- and here in the Guido-filled Northeast, where 10 years ago I could not swing a dead cat without hitting a C4, mine caused a minor stir in a Shop Rite parking lot a few weeks ago.

We see many because of our viewpoint. But they are drying up fast. Go on Craigslist, find all of them, and then pick which ones you think will not be beaten to death in five years.

Note I am not saying that a L98 coupe will be crossing the block at Mecum for $100,000. Not in my lifetime probably unless Zora owned it. But the "dime a dozen" days are coming to an end, sooner than we all realize.

Last edited by DinoBob; 02-16-2013 at 09:43 AM.
Old 02-16-2013, 10:06 AM
Vette Daddy
Le Mans Master

Received 95 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by DinoBob
As far as people who do not think C4s will be collectible; go price a 1968 Satellite coupe or Tempest. Note I am not saying that a L98 coupe will be crossing the block at Mecum for $100,000. Not in my lifetime probably unless Zora owned it. But the "dime a dozen" days are coming to an end, sooner than we all realize.

So, 45 yrs from now the C4's will be seen as collectible???? Let's see...I'll be 97 years old. Almost dead and gone.

Last edited by Vette Daddy; 02-16-2013 at 10:46 AM.
Old 02-16-2013, 10:20 AM
aboatguy
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by touringmike
Krist.
You're slapping my face.
aboatguy says I'm fat.
Pologreen's made me sick with posting this thread.
About the only thing I can agree with is "Most people think Budwiper tastes good".

I can't take it anymore., I'm gonna CHASLS2 out.
Mike I never said you were fat. However, 35.7% of Americans are OBESE. Since I'm not a fat ***, there's a fifty percent chance you are.

boatguy math 3 people.... (1 fat, 2 not fat) - 1 not fat = (1 fat , 1 not fat)

Sorry brother...Touring Mike doth protest too much, methinks!

MIke

Get notified of new replies

To this will make you sick

Old 02-16-2013, 10:23 AM
anciano
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So, 45 yrs from now the C4's will be seen as collectible???? Let's see...I'll be 97 years old. Almost dead and gone.
Almost, huh? Well, I'll be 112 and watching for your obituary.

As to increasing value of these cars, recall that recently a pristine no-miles 1989(?) which was stored in a shed all this time sold on eBay for...wait for it....something within a few bucks of its original MSRP.

That would not be considered a good investment.
Old 02-16-2013, 10:23 AM
aboatguy
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Vette Daddy
But in 45 years 97 will be the new 85.
Old 02-16-2013, 10:26 AM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Received 481 Likes on 261 Posts

Mike
Ironically, the knuckle head that pulled the drivetrain out of a low mile CE is probably the one with the mullet.

Quick Reply: this will make you sick