Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Just got hit by a red-light runner.....

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 11:23 AM
vinniemc
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Insurance still hasn't got back to me, it's only been 4 days but I'm starting to get anxious.... I'll probably call them today and see what they're up to. I'm glad the car is still drivable, but I need it fixed asap, it just looks bad and I don't want people to think the damage is the result of me being stupid
Old 02-11-2013, 12:43 PM
anciano
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I know my wheels are backwards, everyone keeps telling me that! My excuse is they cool the brakes when they're facing that way
I finally got tired of hearing comments and took it back to the tire place to have them installed correctly. But I think you are correct that the cooling effect is (marginally) greater when they are backwards.

Sorry about your accident. But if I could get Blue Book wholesale value for mine from an insurance company I'd be very OK with it. I sure can't sell it for that much.
Old 02-11-2013, 12:56 PM
Bandit's C4
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Central PA Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

That's close to 5,000... the crunch above the f/l tire was over $2,500 alone.

Old 02-11-2013, 01:00 PM
1991Z07
Safety Car

Received 72 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Bandit's C4
That's close to 5,000... the crunch above the f/l tire was over $2,500 alone.

Totally different circumstances...

Yours was a structural part of the hood...LOTS of man hours to reshape that (or did they get another hood and repaint).

A rear bumper cover is easy...and far less hours to accomplish vs. the labor in yours to repair.
Old 02-11-2013, 01:04 PM
1991Z07
Safety Car

Received 72 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by anciano
I finally got tired of hearing comments and took it back to the tire place to have them installed correctly. But I think you are correct that the cooling effect is (marginally) greater when they are backwards.
Not even close...

The wheel well is a high-pressure zone. The design of the OEM wheel is to suck air OUT of the high pressure zone...cooling the brakes was a secondary consideration. They did it more for high-speed stability, and in return got a secondary cooling effect on the brakes.

Having them on backwards only INCREASES the pressure, thereby lifting the front end of the car and making it more unstable at speed.
Old 02-11-2013, 01:18 PM
GKK
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

ANY body panel next to or adjacent to the damage will have to be prepped for Blending and Clear coat.

You Cannot spot repair any panel.

In Bandit's C4 picture to the wheel well damage, the entire hood would probably be replaced since labor to repair the damage wheel well would cost more than replacing the hood also, the scuff on the bumper cover will have to be repaired and then the entire bumper cover will have to be prepped for blending the color onto and then the entire bumper cover will be clear coated along with the entire hood.

So, in the end the entire hood and front bumper cover will have to be removed disassembled, repaired or replaced (hood fitted), refinished, color sanded, buffed and reassembled. Parts, Labor, Materials = $$$ $5000 for this repair sounds about right.

Last edited by GKK; 02-11-2013 at 01:44 PM.
Old 02-11-2013, 01:20 PM
Voxego
Racer

Location: I considered atheism but there weren't enough holidays.
St. Jude Donor '09-'12

Originally Posted by 96 Vette CE
BTW, your wheel is on backwards.
No it's not.
Old 02-11-2013, 01:36 PM
vinniemc
Racer

Thanks for the post bandit, $5000 is sounding about right. I'm still waiting on an estimate, how long does that usually take?

Also, how long would you expect my car to be in the shop for all this? I'm going to try to get the insurance company to get me a rental while it's in the shop.
Old 02-11-2013, 01:44 PM
GKK
Safety Car

Originally Posted by vinniemc
Also, how long would you expect my car to be in the shop for all this?
Depending on the Body Shop, no more than two weeks.

The other guy's Insurance company will pay for a rental car.
Old 02-11-2013, 01:46 PM
Bandit's C4
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Originally Posted by 1991Z07
Totally different circumstances...

Yours was a structural part of the hood...LOTS of man hours to reshape that (or did they get another hood and repaint).

A rear bumper cover is easy...and far less hours to accomplish vs. the labor in yours to repair.
Originally Posted by GKK
ANY body panel next to or adjacent to the damage will have to be prepped for Blending and Clear coat.

You Cannot spot repair any panel.

In Bandit's C4 picture to the wheel well damage, the entire hood would probably be replaced since labor to repair the damage wheel well would cost more than replacing the hood also, the scuff on the bumper cover will have to be repaired and then the entire bumper cover will have to be prepped for blending the color onto and then the entire bumper cover will be clear coated along with the entire hood.

So, in the end the entire hood and front bumper cover will have to be removed disassembled, repaired or replaced (hood fitted), refinished, color sanded, buffed and reassembled. Parts, Labor, Materials = $$$ $5000 for the repair sounds about right.

Not wanting to sidetrack the OP's thread... here's a new thread on that subject.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-g...op-review.html
Old 02-11-2013, 01:56 PM
GKK
Safety Car

Different States Labor rates and Insurance company repair policies regarding repairing rather than replacing will vary and affect the total repair costs.

Nice, repair job you received Bandit!
Old 02-11-2013, 05:07 PM
vinniemc
Racer

Yeah Bandit, that shop looks like they did a very good job, hopefully I get the same! I just want my car to look good again, I hate to see it damaged
Old 02-11-2013, 07:56 PM
vinniemc
Racer

Guys I could use some advice, I've never been in an accident....

I haven't received the estimate yet, but I'm trying to weigh my options once I do. I could:

Take the check to the body shop, and just have them order all of the parts and fix the car.

or

Cash the check, try to find cheaper parts, get it fixed, and hopefully pocket the remainder.

Anyone have any advice on this? I don't know what to do!

- Vinnie
Old 02-11-2013, 09:33 PM
GKK
Safety Car

Wait until you get the check but, sometimes the Insurance company will pay the shop direct.

Don't try to cut corners on repairs if you decide to have it fixed cheaper by yourself, especially if you don't know what to look for in used parts or know of a good body shop that will guarantee the repair. You don't want to find the paint peeling or fading 3 months later because the cheap price the body shop charged you included poor quality materials that don't last.

The repairs are expensive for a reason, Quality paint, reducers, catalysts, primers, sealers, clear, spray gun equipment and skilled employees.

It's better to let a recommended body shop do the work because a lot of times there is hidden damage that will be discovered during the diassembly that the body shop can then contact the Insurance company, for the additional money needed to cover the newly discovered damage.

I would have reported the accident to my Insurance company first because they will do all the calling and they will contact you and keep you informed about the process. That's what you pay them for.

You can even have your car repaired through your own insurance company but, you'll have to pay the collision deductible first but, you'll get it back from the other guy's insurance company. It's a lot less hassle and less waiting. The other guy's insurance company is probably just taking their time since it's their insureds fault.

Last edited by GKK; 02-11-2013 at 09:54 PM.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:35 PM
Bandit's C4
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Originally Posted by vinniemc
Guys I could use some advice, I've never been in an accident....

I haven't received the estimate yet, but I'm trying to weigh my options once I do. I could:

Take the check to the body shop, and just have them order all of the parts and fix the car.

or

Cash the check, try to find cheaper parts, get it fixed, and hopefully pocket the remainder.

Anyone have any advice on this? I don't know what to do!

- Vinnie
Vinnie,

First off... as you know... Corvettes require particular attention to detail. Get more than a few estimates... will reveal what level of attention and detail these shops are willing to offer you (in advance).

As far as body shops - they are not all the same. If I need to say it... do not go to Maaco.
They are a short term fix leaving long term problems down the road.

Don't know your area... altho members here could point you in a good recommendation or two. Check your local phone book or google repair shops specializing in fiberglass repair. Ask shops who would do their car.

The good ones will warranty their work (body/paint)... for the life of the car.
Anyone who offers a pro-rated warranty is one to avoid... won't hold up.

Last edited by Bandit's C4; 02-11-2013 at 09:40 PM.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:51 PM
vinniemc
Racer

Originally Posted by GKK
Wait until you get the check but, sometimes the Insurance company will pay the shop direct.

Don't try to cut corners on repairs especially if you don't know what to look for in used parts or know of a good body shop that will guarantee the repair. You don't want to find the paint peeling or fading 3 months later because the cheap price the body shop charged you included poor quality materials that don't last.

It's better to let a recommended body shop do the work because a lot of times there is hidden damage that will be discovered during the diassembly that the body shop can then contact the Insurance company, for the additional money needed to cover the newly discovered damage.

I would have reported the accident to my Insurance company first because they will do all the calling and they will contact you and keep you informed about the process. That's what you pay them for.
Good point. I have Amica, they are great, but I haven't had them involved yet because I don't have collision on my car, so I need Commerce (the person who hit me has them) to pay for everything. I'm trying to cover all the bases here because I know how easy it is to be ripped off if you aren't on your toes. It sure doesn't help that I'm a kid; people will want to rip me off haha. I have a pretty trustworthy Corvette mechanic that i go to and he recommended a shop to me, I'm going to check them out thursday.

Vinnie,

First off... as you know... Corvettes require particular attention to detail. Get more than a few estimates... will reveal what level of attention and detail these shops are willing to offer you (in advance).

As far as body shops - they are not all the same. If I need to say it... do not go to Maaco.
They are a short term fix leaving long term problems down the road.

Don't know your area... altho members here could point you in a good recommendation or two. Check your local phone book or google repair shops specializing in fiberglass repair. Ask shops who would do their car.

Anyone who offers a pro-rated warranty is one to avoid... won't hold up.
I want my car to look perfect after all this, it looks like it's best to just let the insurance company and the shop handle it. Getting multiple quotes is a great idea, I think I'll do that. I really appreciate help from you guys, I'm only 21 and almost everything is new to me
Old 02-11-2013, 11:24 PM
kenmack
Pro

Default multi tasking

My guess is the lady?? that hit you was multi-tasking.

You know it's what women say they do all the time,and us males are incapable of doing.

[B]MULTI-TASKING[/B
(performing several tasks simultaneously poorly)

Get notified of new replies

To Just got hit by a red-light runner.....

Old 02-11-2013, 11:25 PM
GKK
Safety Car

First off... as you know... Corvettes require particular attention to detail.

As far as body shops - they are not all the same.

All vehicles require the same attention to detail when repaired, at least the ones our shop repaired. Didn't matter if it was a Toyota or Lamborghini.

True, all body shops are not the same. Some are skilled and experienced to do the required work Correctly and some are not.

Almost all Quality body shops have a One Year warranty on the repairs but, will work with you if an unusual problem happens to the repair.

Basically, the Insurance adjuster will itemize the repair and calculate the amout of hours the repair should take to complete and each body shop should be very competitive in their estimates. If one is too, high or too, low I would be concerned.

Also, don't expect your Vette to look brand new, meaning (if the bumper cover and hood had a lot of rock chips before, they'll still be there except they'll have blended paint and new clear over it, unless the parts were replaced). The insurance company is only required to get your vehicle to the same conditon it was in before the accident.

Last edited by GKK; 02-11-2013 at 11:54 PM.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:00 AM
vinniemc
Racer

The appraisal came in: $4280. I'm going to the body shop today, I think I can get a little more out of the insurance company, the appraiser probably missed some small expensive things.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:29 AM
Speedjester
Racer

What most appraisers write are guesstimates based on what they can see.... Most body shops find more damaged parts and needed labor after dissassembly that the appraiser never took into account.. So they write a supplement..Not unusual to write a $2k -$3k supplement on top of the estimate.

Thats when a good shop can take care of you...does the car require an alignment now.. , is the exhaust rattling now... A good shop can hustle for you to get you every penny for needed repair... BUT.. The shop should know enough not to total it out... Usually the others parties insurance company does a lot more for you than your own.. At least in my experience..

Last edited by Speedjester; 02-13-2013 at 11:32 AM.

Quick Reply: Just got hit by a red-light runner.....