Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Melbourne Victoria Australia the Police State, nice day for a drive until......

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 08:01 AM
C409
Le Mans Master

Received 490 Likes on 334 Posts

.......... Well that certainly sucks ...... I guess they are trying to get y'all to buy any kind of car you want as long as its not American .........
Old 01-28-2013, 10:58 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by gerardvg
Yes i do realize that and i will never remove that, by the way Australian number plates do not fit anyway. Also there is another law they ping people on here in Australia, if you bend the plates to make them fit in the American plate gap. (our normal six digit plates do not fit the U.S made recess for the number plate) Some of our club members got done for fitting their plates in the proper spot in the bumper and bending the edges to fit them. Cannot win either way sometimes.

They have only late last year made custom number plates available that will fit American cars.

You may note my rear number plate partially obscures the back up lights, that technically is another NO NO

Sounds like getting the custom-size plates may be the answer to your problem.

Lots of C4, C5, and C6 owners don't like to run a front plate and in many cases, they can get away with that even if state laws require one. But in many states, not having a front plate is simply a "fix-it" ticket. Put the plate on, go to the local PD where they see you have complied with the law and the ticket goes away.

It appears that Australian law is pretty specific with regard to plates and with getting points (demerits) on your license, why risk losing your license? Put the plate on and the police won't bother you (at least for that offense ).
Old 01-28-2013, 09:38 PM
captboatwrench
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 3 Posts

just pack up and move to the U.S.
Then you wont have to worry about the plates not fitting
Can't say there aren't douche bag cops here in the states but that Aussie accent might get you out a few tickets though.
Old 01-29-2013, 05:48 AM
vittal
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes i do realize that and i will never remove that, by the way Australian number plates do not fit anyway. Also there is another law they ping people on here in Australia, if you bend the plates to make them fit in the American plate gap. (our normal six digit plates do not fit the U.S made recess for the number plate) Some of our club members got done for fitting their plates in the proper spot in the bumper and bending the edges to fit them. Cannot win either way sometimes.

They have only late last year made custom number plates available that will fit American cars.

You may note my rear number plate partially obscures the back up lights, that technically is another NO NO

Yap we've got the same bs here. Plate doesn't fit not in the front and not in the back. You can't bend it. Some people have made sticker a little smaller versions of the license plates and kept the originals in the car and if there's an understanding cop there's no problem. But you could get a big fine. Of course nobody is bothering with a different kind of license plate for these type of cars.

You can't win either way.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:18 AM
blackozvet
Melting Slicks

Received 288 Likes on 222 Posts

Ive got the perfect solution Gerard, move to South Australia !!

Old 01-29-2013, 10:57 AM
Coupe89
Melting Slicks

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06

You need to get a ZR-1 to fix the rear plate problem
Old 01-29-2013, 11:39 AM
jhammons01
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

They are using optics to track your plates.....that is why they need your plate in a certain location.....
Old 01-29-2013, 08:57 PM
gerardvg
Melting Slicks

Received 188 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by jhammons01
They are using optics to track your plates.....that is why they need your plate in a certain location.....
Yes i went past one on January 17 (without an issue). See the screen shot of my tracker/video, also for you guys in USA here is what a police car looks like .... i followed him 2 weeks ago for quite a while and there was no issue

Last edited by gerardvg; 01-29-2013 at 09:02 PM.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:05 PM
gerardvg
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by blackozvet
Ive got the perfect solution Gerard, move to South Australia !!

They have just late last year made US size plates available in Victoria, however you cannot convert custom plates. You get a standard issue one only.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:17 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 574 Likes on 448 Posts

Originally Posted by mazdaverx7
yea i feel as though it was rather rude of him to cite you for such a petty thing. i'm a police officer and i have never cited a person for not having a front plate. i've used it to stop people of course, but that's to look for drunks or drugs etc. if all is good to go the person is on their merry way with a verbal warning. i see no reason for one, to be a ****, and two, to cite you, as the plate IS clearly visible. i would read up on the law and present your case before a judge and see if you can get the charge thrown out.
I've gotten pulled over 3x in ohio for no front plate.

All 3x have been warnings.

Twice was ohio state highway patrol and once by local cops.

I asked a highway patrol buddy about it and he said he usually doesn't pull over a car for that as a primary offense (unless he's suspiscious of the car and wants a reason to). He said he won't ever write a ticket for it if the person has the plate with them in the car.

I also asked him if propping it up in the windshield is legal and he assures me its not. It has to be on the front and securely affixed.

I've heard a lot of cops won't write a ticket if you offer to put the plate back on, on the side of the road.

I bought the body contoured c4 plate cover, darkened it by painting it w/ laser veil (who knows if the stuff does anything, but it did darken the cover to make it look better with black paint). It doesn't look too bad.

There's a push to get rid of the front plate in ohio.

Last edited by dizwiz24; 01-29-2013 at 09:25 PM.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:12 PM
gerardvg
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by dizwiz24
I've gotten pulled over 3x in ohio for no front plate.

All 3x have been warnings.

Twice was ohio state highway patrol and once by local cops.

I asked a highway patrol buddy about it and he said he usually doesn't pull over a car for that as a primary offense (unless he's suspiscious of the car and wants a reason to). He said he won't ever write a ticket for it if the person has the plate with them in the car.

I also asked him if propping it up in the windshield is legal and he assures me its not. It has to be on the front and securely affixed.

I've heard a lot of cops won't write a ticket if you offer to put the plate back on, on the side of the road.

I bought the body contoured c4 plate cover, darkened it by painting it w/ laser veil (who knows if the stuff does anything, but it did darken the cover to make it look better with black paint). It doesn't look too bad.

There's a push to get rid of the front plate in ohio.
I agree that the vast majority of police use their discretionary powers and do the right thing, some are just plainly obsessed with dishing out tickets. Like i said for the 16 years i have owned the vette i have never been asked to remove the plate from that position.
On the day in question i had passed around 3 different police doing laser speed checks, that were parked on the center median of the highway not a second glance. There were a couple of police cars patrolling the road alongside the beach a quiet 50 kmh zone ideal for policing minor infringements like mine but again not a second glance.

The last time i was pulled over by police, was around 10 years ago i was in the vette. He just wanted to look at the car and do a license check no issue, as usual as the car is looked after quiet exhaust and good tires etc and not doing anything stupid.

Below is the ''HERO'' policeman who needs to endanger my life pulling me over in a busy 100kmh zone......

Maybe his seeing eye guide dog is in the police car.
I suppose having to work on a public holiday long weekend is enough to ruin your life, as it was a blitz long weekend and everyone was obeying laws they have to nit pick perhaps. Even so that is no excuse for being rude, and being slapped with a fine and demerit points equal to going thru a red light, speeding by more than 15 kmh or not wearing a seat belt etc.

I suppose i should think of it as another tax,

Note my company vehicle would not meet the 45 deg up angle from the top of the license plate, but that is different..... isn't it
(It is hidden by the top of the rear bumper, you can just make out there is a number plate near the tow bar)

Last edited by gerardvg; 01-30-2013 at 01:01 AM. Reason: Bigger work car image
Old 01-29-2013, 10:29 PM
Black'95
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

I like your third brake light with the Corvette lettering. How can I get one like that?
Old 01-29-2013, 10:36 PM
gerardvg
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by barondeau
I like your third brake light with the Corvette lettering. How can I get one like that?
Hi

I got it of ebay a few years ago, it is an adhesive sticker (label) looks great when it lights up. Look around they may have more another time.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1997-1998-19...item2a28a5b4d0

Last edited by gerardvg; 01-29-2013 at 10:39 PM.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:28 PM
mtwoolford
Melting Slicks

Received 194 Likes on 180 Posts

If only we had skinny plates like that in the states; ours are about the same width but half again (or more) in height; a style that looked fashionable in the !950's but is damn hard to blend into a modern sloped hood and bumper.
Old 01-30-2013, 12:01 AM
gerardvg
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by mtwoolford
If only we had skinny plates like that in the states; ours are about the same width but half again (or more) in height; a style that looked fashionable in the !950's but is damn hard to blend into a modern sloped hood and bumper.
They have had the standard and slimline plates available here in Victoria Australia for some years, in both standard or custom number plates.

The European style wide number plates have been available for a year or two now ... which is all the rage for the European car owners.

Around six months ago the American style/shape number plates became available to fit our cars, as per numerous complaints no doubt by American and Japanese car owners being fined for altering/cutting plates to fit.

However they do not permit a custom number plate to be made that shape yet.
Old 01-30-2013, 04:44 AM
blackozvet
Melting Slicks

Received 288 Likes on 222 Posts

Victoria led the country in this type of backdoor taxation, this is the State that you get fined for going 3 kph over the speed limit !
Dont go hating on the traffic cop too much, he is just doing his job, the Police Minister tells the Police Commissioner what to do, the State Government runs the Police Department, the traffic cop gets told to get 'x' amount of tickets each shift, thats what he is paid to do,
when you over fish you have to go out further and take smaller fish, and thats what you were, a small fish, obviously the more serious offences werent there that day so you copped it little fish !
I would complain to your local Member of Parliament, tell him you are disgusted with this type of revenue raising !
Old 01-30-2013, 09:42 AM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 574 Likes on 448 Posts

I agree that the vast majority of police use their discretionary powers and do the right thing, some are just plainly obsessed with dishing out tickets. Like i said for the 16 years i have owned the vette i have never been asked to remove the plate from that position.
On the day in question i had passed around 3 different police doing laser speed checks, that were parked on the center median of the highway not a second glance. There were a couple of police cars patrolling the road alongside the beach a quiet 50 kmh zone ideal for policing minor infringements like mine but again not a second glance.

The last time i was pulled over by police, was around 10 years ago i was in the vette. He just wanted to look at the car and do a license check no issue, as usual as the car is looked after quiet exhaust and good tires etc and not doing anything stupid.

Below is the ''HERO'' policeman who needs to endanger my life pulling me over in a busy 100kmh zone......

Maybe his seeing eye guide dog is in the police car.
I suppose having to work on a public holiday long weekend is enough to ruin your life, as it was a blitz long weekend and everyone was obeying laws they have to nit pick perhaps. Even so that is no excuse for being rude, and being slapped with a fine and demerit points equal to going thru a red light, speeding by more than 15 kmh or not wearing a seat belt etc.

I suppose i should think of it as another tax,

Note my company vehicle would not meet the 45 deg up angle from the top of the license plate, but that is different..... isn't it
(It is hidden by the top of the rear bumper, you can just make out there is a number plate near the tow bar)

WOW!

That is the cop?

I doubt he'd pass the physical fitness running / agility test here in the USA.

Most of the veteran cops here (in the USA) are actually more laid back, but there are a couple ive come across in small towns that are total d-bags. Think they own the place and think they are there to push you around.

And if you are respectful to them, it 'feeds into' their power trip.

One of the key features on these cops that Ive identified (I know Im stereotyping) is eyeglasses/ middle aged (ex. late 40's/early 50s) and lack of being in physical shape.

Individual cops have a lot of leeway in the USA to enforce the law the way they want to. Unfortunately, the courts will stick up for them.

I think you would need to hire a lawyer (in my microcosm of ohio) to get out of that ticket.

The courts can be kind of corrupt here. I'll never forget in 2001 I got a bogus ticket for turning left thru a yellow light. The cop got 'fired' between my court hearing and when he issued the ticket. When I took it to court, they had a 'different' cop up there in the prosecutor pre-meeting. Prosecutor told me the cop was there and ready-to-testify. I asked the prosecutor who that guy was and he lied to me telling me it was the cop who wrote the ticket. How is that even legal? But technically we werent even in the 'sworn-under-oath' court yet. I know, for example, police lie to suspects to get them to confess when interrogating them and thats legal.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:19 PM
High Altitude Vette
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Yep another case of Hero's of revenue, risking their lives daily while hiding behind a bush with a radar gun..
Great looking vette btw
Gary
Old 02-01-2013, 07:40 AM
Ballypinball
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

yet you don't need a front plate if you are using a trade plate or 30 day permit??

I would go to court and defend it.

Quick Reply: Melbourne Victoria Australia the Police State, nice day for a drive until......