Looking at buying a 1989 Convertible

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 03:01 PM
NARDA1
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Default Looking at buying a 1989 Convertible

I joined the forum because I am looking to purchase my first corvette. I am going to be looking at a 1989 Convertible triple black with a 6spd with about 90,000 miles. Is there anything in particular that I should be looking at besides overall condition? Are there any common problems that could be expensive to repair? Thanks, Terry
Old 01-15-2013, 05:05 PM
TTA579
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi, I bought my '89 'vert about 7 months ago. So far I have replaced the following:

brake pads and rotors
brake booster
intake manifold gasket (and associated gaskets)
transmission rear seal
transmission pan gasket
transmission shift linkage gasket
rear main seal
speakers, radio
convertible top bolts (loostened, needed to be reinstalled)
several rounds of fluids

As far as I know the car still needs the following:
alignment
tires
water pump? or simply pump gaskets
a formal tune-up (plugs, wires, cap and rotor)
new top
new headliner

None of these parts or fixes have soured my opinion of the car, or my ownership of it. If you understand that the car is 24 years old, and will potentially have problems related to a 24-year-old car, you'll do just fine.

btw, I commute with my '89 most days.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:20 PM
NARDA1
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Thanks for the reply. This car will not be my main transportation, so I actuallly look forward to doing some wrenching on the vehicle. I also realize that the vehicle is 24 years old and will need maintenance work done. I am curious if there are common major problems that I should be concerned about so I can see if these issues have been addressed or not on the vehicle purchase
Old 01-15-2013, 05:59 PM
ckwhite
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by NARDA1
I am curious if there are common major problems that I should be concerned about so I can see if these issues have been addressed or not on the vehicle purchase
Common major problems. Well...Yeah - all those things mentioned by your first respondent. I have an '89 also. Bought it cheap ($3,500) and have now invested another 11 grand in it just to make it reliable (which it's still not....). Just expect to put money into it. Maybe LOTS of money. But if you love the car like I do mine, go for it!
Old 01-15-2013, 06:40 PM
corvetteronw
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 247 Likes on 200 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Good luck! The 89 convertible can be fitted with the optional hardtop. You can find used ones here from time to time.
You might be interested in attending the Bloomington Gold Corvette show this summer. Lots of Corvette related stuff along with used parts too.
www.bloomingtongold.com
Old 01-15-2013, 06:41 PM
Txbobcat
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 92 I bought 4 years ago with about 75K on it. I havent done much at all on it. Check everything. Ask for service records. If it doesnt look to good it most likely isnt too good. Check out a lot of vettes to compare to this one. You will know when it is right.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:18 AM
Leftoverture
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

A lot of things depend on what you know about the car. How long has the current owner had the car? What kind of maintenance records do they have? Is it stock or modified? The more you know about it the more you will know what to look for or what you maybe don't have to worry about. In the end, it's not much different than buying any used car. But things like an accident history or a poor repaint will drop the value considerably as most Vette people won't be interested in it.

I love my 89 vert.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:55 AM
1bdvet
Team Owner

Received 4,505 Likes on 3,590 Posts
U.S. Air Force
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor

My advice when buying Corvette, if you don't know what to ask, and look at on the car, ask someone to go with you. In your area you might find Corvette Club to help you out, or local car club. If you have no knowledge of Corvette, has you see posted there expensive toy. I just sold my 89 Ragtop, and told the buyer we have concerns cause it 24 years old, and has much has I babied her, things do fail.
Good luck, and enjoy new ride, it's experience cruising in Corvette, specially with the top down.
One more thing, and any Corvette owner will tell you, join AAA and get the plus, for the 100 miles free towing. Not that you will need it, but knowing you have it incase emergency will give you piece of mind.
Here is what I sold.

Old 01-16-2013, 10:36 AM
Slow_Lane
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 60k mile 89 coupe I bought a little over 2 years ago developed the infamous #7 cylinder head gasket leak about a month after I bought it. In retrospect, I think the PO might have known this was as issue and I was in too much of a fog to do enough research and look at the car as critically as I should have. I replaced the head gaskets myself. It wasn't all that expensive and I learned a few things. I still like the car.

Other problems...fuel pump failed. This was the easiest fuel pump I've ever done. Other than the ride home on a flat bed, no big deal.

I have intermittant issues with VATS...a common theme for these cars. Mine works most of the time but will sometimes decide not to start for some reason. I plan on doing the VATS bypass at some point but the car is not a DD so it's not high on the priority.

later I replaced rear u-joints due to noise in the rear axle. One was visibly bad. The other 3 looked ok but I changed them anyway. This helped but did not solve the problem. New wheel bearings did. These really weren't hard to do or very expensive.

I did some other little things too like replacing vacuum hoses & battery. I'm sure there's stuff I'm forgetting but nothing major.

This spring I am going to replace my fuel injectors. There is a vendor on CF that has a good deal on these and mine are showing signs of needing replaced...too much methanol in the fuel around here for the original parts.

My heater core started leaking. I bypassed it. I am going to replace it, but haven't had time this winter and didn't really care during the warm months.

Going to replace my rubber brake lines and replace brake fluid this year too. Possibly look into a new radiator & water pump as cheap insurance too.

I also seem to have a problem with excessive tire wear but only on the rear. I have to admit I enjoy the 1-2 upshift a little more than I probably should....don't blame me though, my commuter car is a Suzuki so the 89 feels really good on a warm Saturday afternoon.

All in all, given the fact that this is a 24 YO car and it looks great and I drives great and I'm not in it for too much $$, I'd probably do it again.
Old 01-16-2013, 12:30 PM
Tally Ho
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Out Where the Buses Don't Run, Eglin AFB/ Niceville FL
Received 1,465 Likes on 789 Posts
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Modified
2021 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I owned an 89 convertible for 12 years. My first year of ownership was almost my last. Had it not been for factory warranty, I would have bailed on it. Here's what was bad after one year:

Leaking intake manifold (coolant)
Cracked cylinder head (right and resulted from manifold leak above)
Bad rack and pinion unit
Alternator
Power brake booster

Over the next 11 years I had a fuel pump, several alternators, an ECM, and an AC compressor go bad. The only mods I did to the car were from the intake up (big mouth intake, new injectors, new TB, SLP siamesed runners, ported plenum) and drilled rotors and later just slotted rotors. It also had the 94 ZR1 wheels (17x9.5) added.

I hated to sell it but I was in between jobs and the C5 was the newest so it stayed.

Last edited by Tally Ho; 01-16-2013 at 08:17 PM.
Old 01-16-2013, 02:36 PM
1bdvet
Team Owner

Received 4,505 Likes on 3,590 Posts
U.S. Air Force
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor

SLOW LANE:

Here is what I did to my car when the VATS started to act up, I by-passed it, but later had the same problem occur. I had good friend working for GM, that told me ignition cylinder replacing is the only fix to the problem.
It seems GM new about it, and when customers complain they replaced cylinder.
Well had mine replaced in 1999, and never had another problem again.
You might look into replacing the problem.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:40 PM
C-4 Now
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

89 convertibles are currently my favorite. Currently have 3 including a Callaway. Have had first one for close to 20 years. Require some maintenance but the 6-speed still makes me grin. I like them for 1st year 6-speed, last year no air bags. Opinions may vary! the only other C-4 that tempts me yet are the ZR-1's. Good Luck

Get notified of new replies

To Looking at buying a 1989 Convertible

Quick Reply: Looking at buying a 1989 Convertible