C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

weatherstripping replacement/brand report

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 09:05 AM
Fredbird
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default weatherstripping replacement/brand report

I replaced my tired and crumbling weatherstrips with new the other day. Wow! I never knew my car could be so quiet... (other than engine/exhaust)

I bought the Metro Supersoft brand, and I am very pleased. They fit perfectly on the Targa and halo. The doors fit perfectly except for one part at the top where it screws to the door under the door panel which is not seen... They made the piece a little small. But since it's rubber, it stretched into place and i was able to screw it in place as it should be. No problem.

They have a 30 year replacement warranty, were made in the U.S.A. (which is important to me) and the company has been around for something like 90 years.

Seems to be very good quality.

Doors are a little harder to close because the new weatherstrips haven't broken in much yet. That should improve with time

It is a cellular designed strip so it does have a rubber foam inside cased by a smooth outer rubber finish. The ends are solid rubber so they will hold up well.

Cost: $65 - Targa sides ; $59- Door main seals ; $119 -halo. Still need to buy front windshield and front wheelwell seals.

So on a scale of 1-10... I would give them a solid 8. Not that they're bad by any means, but I'm sure there's something out there that's better for a lot more money.

On a cost to quality scale of 1-10... I would give them a 10. (Quality and fit are great, Warranty is long, and price is pretty low)

Last edited by Fredbird; 01-15-2013 at 09:14 AM.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:19 AM
TorchTarga94
Melting Slicks

Received 191 Likes on 158 Posts

Where did you purchase this brand?
Old 01-15-2013, 10:47 AM
Fredbird
Instructor

Originally Posted by TorchTarga94
Where did you purchase this brand?
Door and Targa seals were bought at this ebay store...

http://stores.ebay.com/Jackson-Autom...p2047675.l2563

Then the halo I bought at JCWhitney

Here's the link on the product manufacturer:

http://metrommp.com/

Hope that helps.
Old 01-15-2013, 11:22 AM
eaglevision993
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rockauto seems to have the Metro brand as a complete kit....
I replaced my door seals with those from Metro and I am also very satisfied with them.
When the time comes and I have to replace the top I will do all weatherseals and use Metro or Willcox as they also seem to be a good brand.
Old 01-15-2013, 11:42 AM
TorchTarga94
Melting Slicks

Received 191 Likes on 158 Posts

Interesting. I have also heard the CRC brand from Wilcox is top quality.
Old 01-15-2013, 11:43 AM
Fredbird
Instructor

Originally Posted by eaglevision993
Rockauto seems to have the Metro brand as a complete kit....
I replaced my door seals with those from Metro and I am also very satisfied with them.
When the time comes and I have to replace the top I will do all weatherseals and use Metro or Willcox as they also seem to be a good brand.
Only thing I would be careful of is the imported line of Metro. From what I've read, and see on their site, they do have a second line which is imported and doesn't seem to be as good of quality. I found this in some of the lower end combo backs. Not sure on the one you mentioned.

I really wanted to stay made in the USA. Maybe a bit protectionist... but oh well.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:01 PM
eaglevision993
Racer

No, there is a good reason to differentiate between the US made and imported Metro line.
I also heard the SuperSoft made in USA line is better.

I do not know which line the Rockauto set includes, but the separately bought door seals were SuperSoft and are fine.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:08 PM
eaglevision993
Racer

Just checked...According to the Metro homepage and their part number listing for the weatherstrip kit METRO Part # RKB2000107 the Rockauto kit should be the SuperSoft kit as it lists the same number. This kit would be for a 86-89 convertible.

Anyone verify this? I don´t want to be telling you wrong facts, but the numbers match.
Old 01-16-2013, 01:12 AM
gerardvg
Melting Slicks

Received 188 Likes on 169 Posts

I tried the so called (super soft) cheap Metro weatherstrips on my vette, ended up ripping them off after a few months and put them in the trash , sick of slamming the doors to close them. Same excuse ''takes time to go soft'' what BS

G.M no.1 (if you can afford them).

Wilcox No 2 (the only real world alternative to G.M)

I put the Wilcox ones on and they are so much better.
Forget the rest

The blue tint targa i got from a 92 with genuine gm weatherstrip that had been under some ones bed for many many years, now that weatherstrip is so damn soft it is beautiful
Go look at a few vettes and ask what weatherstrip they are using and feel the difference, i could have purchased GM weatherstrips when you take into account the shipping ........................................ .............
As for the metro super soft warranty (the shipping is the killer so in the trash they went)

Do your research is what i say, or spend double after months or years of frustration.

Last edited by gerardvg; 01-16-2013 at 01:28 AM. Reason: More info
Old 01-16-2013, 11:00 AM
Fredbird
Instructor

Originally Posted by gerardvg
I tried the so called (super soft) cheap Metro weatherstrips on my vette, ended up ripping them off after a few months and put them in the trash , sick of slamming the doors to close them. Same excuse ''takes time to go soft'' what BS
Do your research is what i say, or spend double after months or years of frustration.
Glad you like your new weatherstrips.

For me, the Supersoft have been a great option. I've been looking into different options for about 2 years. I'd agree, there are better quality options if you are willing to pay the premium. I'm not willing to pay that Corvette Tax. Obama is taxing us enough now.

As for shipping. I got free shipping on everything, so it all worked out well for me.

Maybe I will be closing my doors a bit harder for a while until they break in, but eh... No big deal. Besides, in Texas Heat... it won't take too long for these to limber up. It's winter right now so I totally expect them to be stiff in 30-40 Degree weather.

Good luck and don't forget to wave!
Old 01-16-2013, 11:37 AM
davewhtt
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What ever brand you or any of you install make sure to treat with a good grade silicone greese. It works!

Get notified of new replies

To weatherstripping replacement/brand report

Quick Reply: weatherstripping replacement/brand report