Hagertys rates going up?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2012, 07:59 AM
Z51JEFF
Race Director

Received 643 Likes on 420 Posts
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Default Hagertys rates going up?

I just got my insurance renewal from Hagerty and its gone from $760 a year to $880,2 cars.No tickets,one claim in the last 12 months.Anybody else noticed their policy going up?I dont really want the hassle of shopping for a new INS company,been pretty happy with Hagerty but if they raise my rate,have no choice really.
Old 11-18-2012, 08:48 AM
BGZQ8
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

What year models are your two cars ? I think they went up on me too ?
Old 11-18-2012, 08:57 AM
FOURSPEEDVETTE
Safety Car

Received 224 Likes on 156 Posts

Are the two cars registered as classic, antique or some other? If so, even $760.00 is way out of line. Much better deals out there with other companies. I pay $130.00 for full coverage 365 days a year with zero deductible. $11,000.00 agreed upon value. J.C. Taylor antique/classic automobile insurance company. Very satisfied with them.
Old 11-18-2012, 10:30 AM
BGZQ8
Pro

MY Hagerty is $319 for full coverage, no deductible, on a $9,000 agreed upon value coverage. I am going to switch to J.C. Taylor .
Old 11-18-2012, 10:40 AM
87C4_4spd
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

State Farm now has stated value insurance on classic cars.

I have both of mine insured there and it was cheaper. I think I am allowed 4-5k miles a year. I have 17k value on my Vette and 23k value on my 2002 Dale Earnhardt Monte Carlo with 11 hundred miles.

I was cheaper than going with Hagerty.
Old 11-18-2012, 12:25 PM
j3studio
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 235 Likes on 77 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

I saw no change in my Hagerty pricing.
Old 11-18-2012, 01:06 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

That rise is nothing compared to health care. Gotta pay for all the lawyers out there.
Old 11-18-2012, 05:24 PM
Z51JEFF
Race Director

Originally Posted by BGZQ8
What year models are your two cars ? I think they went up on me too ?
1991 ZR-1 at $40,000 and 1963 Nova SS convertible at $10,000 agreed value on both.By the way,some here have stated they had stated value,you might want to check it that.Agreed value and stated value are not the same.
Old 11-18-2012, 06:13 PM
JeffnSharyn
Advanced

I just renewed my Pantera with Hagerty; mine went down.

It's that claim you made within the last 12 months that caused your rate increase.

How much was paid out on the claim? Was it with Hagerty?

Last edited by JeffnSharyn; 11-18-2012 at 06:18 PM.
Old 11-18-2012, 06:14 PM
BGZQ8
Pro

OK then, what is stated value ?
Old 11-18-2012, 06:25 PM
JeffnSharyn
Advanced

Originally Posted by BGZQ8
OK then, what is stated value ?
An Agreed Value policy (which is the same as Hagerty’s Guaranteed Value policy) guarantees the policy will pay the full insured amount of the vehicle – with no depreciation – in case of a covered total loss. A stated value policy (sometimes called stated amount or maximum limit of liability) does not promise upfront to pay this stated amount. In the event of a covered total loss, it may pay less than the stated amount, as the insurer has the right to pay the lesser of your collector car’s depreciated actual cash value (ACV) or its replacement cost. Also, many insurers that offer stated value policies require periodic appraisals to substantiate the insured amount, adding cost and inconvenience to the client.
Old 11-18-2012, 07:03 PM
FOURSPEEDVETTE
Safety Car

NEVER take a "Stated Value Policy"! You will most certainly come out on the losing end of the deal if the insurance company has to pay for a loss on your vehicle. It will be a fraction of what you stated for sure. Only take an "Agreed Upon Value Policy". Both you and the insurance company agree on the value of the vehicle ahead of time when you take out or renew the policy.
Old 11-19-2012, 10:32 AM
Warren Seale
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 29 Posts

Try contacting the NCM for insurance. You'll be pleasantly surprised. All of my vehicles listed below are covered by them including the 06 Vette.

Warren
Old 11-19-2012, 05:41 PM
Leftoverture
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 87C4_4spd
State Farm now has stated value insurance on classic cars.

I have both of mine insured there and it was cheaper. I think I am allowed 4-5k miles a year. I have 17k value on my Vette and 23k value on my 2002 Dale Earnhardt Monte Carlo with 11 hundred miles.

I was cheaper than going with Hagerty.
Be careful of the State Farm policy. I checked it out with my agent and I believe the total allowable mileage was 2500 or something like that. I don't really remember, but the restrictions they had made it impractical for me. When my Vette comes out of storage in the Spring I am going with NCM or JC Taylor, which I just heard of in this thread!
Old 11-19-2012, 06:50 PM
Z51JEFF
Race Director

Originally Posted by Warren Seale
Try contacting the NCM for insurance. You'll be pleasantly surprised. All of my vehicles listed below are covered by them including the 06 Vette.

Warren
You might want to look into that.One of the insurance carriers for the NCM is A.M.I.G. A few years ago one of my cars was covered through a broker for A.M.I.G The car got hit and A.M.I.G. did everything they could to keep from paying on the claim even though it was the other parties fault 100%.I got in touch with Hagerty today and I was told that rates went up for everybody.Hagerty dont want my money,**** on them!Im moving to Grundy.
Old 11-19-2012, 06:57 PM
Cruisinfanatic
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Clifton Park, NY ..............Clearwater, FL ... 85 Original Owner
Received 553 Likes on 432 Posts

Originally Posted by FOURSPEEDVETTE
Are the two cars registered as classic, antique or some other? If so, even $760.00 is way out of line. Much better deals out there with other companies. I pay $130.00 for full coverage 365 days a year with zero deductible. $11,000.00 agreed upon value. J.C. Taylor antique/classic automobile insurance company. Very satisfied with them.
but can you drive it when you want?
All I see on these company quotes is stuff like this
I agree that my vehicle(s) will be used mainly in exhibitions, club activities, parades and other functions of public interest and will not be used primarily for the transportation of passengers or goods.

Means to be that you usually can't take it past your driveway

Last edited by Cruisinfanatic; 11-19-2012 at 07:02 PM.
Old 11-19-2012, 07:27 PM
87C4_4spd
Drifting

Originally Posted by Leftoverture
Be careful of the State Farm policy. I checked it out with my agent and I believe the total allowable mileage was 2500 or something like that. I don't really remember, but the restrictions they had made it impractical for me. When my Vette comes out of storage in the Spring I am going with NCM or JC Taylor, which I just heard of in this thread!
I have 5000 miles on one and I asked for 4000 on the Vette. I live about 100 miles from NCM so not too bad.

Get notified of new replies

To Hagertys rates going up?

Old 11-19-2012, 07:40 PM
FOURSPEEDVETTE
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Cruisinfanatic
but can you drive it when you want?
All I see on these company quotes is stuff like this
I agree that my vehicle(s) will be used mainly in exhibitions, club activities, parades and other functions of public interest and will not be used primarily for the transportation of passengers or goods.

Means to be that you usually can't take it past your driveway
This is the main difference between your everyday car insurance and antique/classic car insurance. Everyday car insurance means it's for a car that is being driven all over the place every day of the week. In other words, it's lots more expensive than antique/classic car insurance. Antique/classic car insurance costs lots less because it's for your "pride and joy car". Meaning you won't be driving it everyday to work, shopping, and daily activities. They know you take very good care of it and the chances of it receiving damage is very slim compared to an everyday car. ALL antique/classic car policies state that the car is not to be driven as the daily family truckster in other words. They all have some mileage restrictions or everyone would try to have this type insurance on their everyday cars costing them very little. Insurance companies would go broke. My company, (J.C. Taylor) has a website that CLEARLY states that it has some limitations but will ALWAYS pay for any damage done to your car regardless of how many miles you drive it. They just don't want you to abuse the low cost insurance and use the car as a daily driver. Most drivers, like me, follow this rule.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:38 PM
MyOtherCar
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by FOURSPEEDVETTE
This is the main difference between your everyday car insurance and antique/classic car insurance. Everyday car insurance means it's for a car that is being driven all over the place every day of the week. In other words, it's lots more expensive than antique/classic car insurance. Antique/classic car insurance costs lots less because it's for your "pride and joy car". Meaning you won't be driving it everyday to work, shopping, and daily activities. They know you take very good care of it and the chances of it receiving damage is very slim compared to an everyday car. ALL antique/classic car policies state that the car is not to be driven as the daily family truckster in other words. They all have some mileage restrictions or everyone would try to have this type insurance on their everyday cars costing them very little. Insurance companies would go broke. My company, (J.C. Taylor) has a website that CLEARLY states that it has some limitations but will ALWAYS pay for any damage done to your car regardless of how many miles you drive it. They just don't want you to abuse the low cost insurance and use the car as a daily driver. Most drivers, like me, follow this rule.
Not Grundy, they actually encourage their customers to drive and enjoy their collector cars. True though, not as DD's.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:50 PM
PLRX
Team Owner

Received 501 Likes on 342 Posts
Co-winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C4 of Year
2016 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Originally Posted by 383vett
That rise is nothing compared to health care. Gotta pay for all the lawyers out there.

Mine went up in October, and the day after the election I got an email informing me about another raise happening in 2013.

I assume car insurance, home insurance, and utilities will go up in 2013.

Quick Reply: Hagertys rates going up?