Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

After 6-years in storage, she has returned (and so here I am!)...

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2012, 11:19 AM
MarkLT1
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '04

Originally Posted by carguy604
I agree with his comments about using the compressed air and the respirator (not just a cheapie dust mask!). Mice feces is known to often carry the Hanta virus which can cause respiratory damage and may even kill. I suggest that you read-up on the virus first, and then clean-up the car only after taking suitable precautions. No sense ending up in ICU or in a box! Good luck with the project; you've got a fair amount of work to do, but you'll be able to bring it back in short order. Oh, by the way, don't use Simple Green on aluminum; it'll etch it in less than a minute and will ruin the finish.
Unfortunately, I am all too familiar with mouse feces (and am well informed of its possible health hazards). So I'll definitely be taking proper precautions (that being said, there doesn't appear to be any mouse feces.. it is much larger, I am guessing opossum.. time to see what nasty diseases those guys carry around).

And thanks for the heads up on Simple Green + AL. I've always thought of simple green as being the do-all, but gentle cleaner/degreaser (I use it on my road and mountain bikes all the time). I had no idea of its effects on AL. I'll definitely stay away from using it on anything but the plastic and hoses.

Originally Posted by pianoguy
Best of luck! Hope the harness isn't too bad, and indeed, be careful around any critter droppings, etc. If you decide to pull your engine, I have a Happy Hooker you're welcome to borrow - works pretty slick on the LTx motors.
It looks like there is significant enough damage to my wiring harness, that it would be prudent to get it out, give it a very thorough inspection, and repair or replace wires as necessary. And while I have the engine out, I can install the new A/C system I have had lying around for 8-years, clean the engine bay out very thoroughly, and repaint/powder coat the various brackets that need it/metal components that need it.

So I might just take you up on your offer. I've been looking on Craigslist for a hoist/stand, and it looks like there are quite a few available for descent prices. I had heard about the Happy Hooker, and was looking into buying one, but if I could borrow one it would save some $$$.
Old 11-10-2012, 12:24 PM
pianoguy
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Sure thing, just shoot me a PM if you'd like to borrow it.
Old 11-10-2012, 07:34 PM
mrmtrtrnd
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkLT1
It looks like there is significant enough damage to my wiring harness, that it would be prudent to get it out, give it a very thorough inspection, and repair or replace wires as necessary. And while I have the engine out, I can install the new A/C system I have had lying around for 8-years, clean the engine bay out very thoroughly, and repaint/powder coat the various brackets that need it/metal components that need it..
Looks like you have a good plan and I hope it goes well for you. Glad you posted the before pictures and now looking forward to the after.

Quick Reply: After 6-years in storage, she has returned (and so here I am!)...