Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Battery Drain with Battery Tender attached

Old 10-29-2012, 04:06 PM
jcevans
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Battery Drain with Battery Tender attached

Recently replaced the battery in my 89 coupe about 4 months ago. Attached a battery tender as always and all was well for a time. Recently the battery tender flashed green which indicates 80% charge and this lasted for a couple of months. When I drove the car then hooked up the tender afterwards it would show a constant green light on the battery tender for about 4 days or so, then begin flashing green, red light constant. Last night I noticed the red light on and the battery was dead. I realise I have a drain of some sort, but I am stumped why the battery tender wouldn't at least hold to 80% like it had been. Any ideas?
Old 10-29-2012, 06:20 PM
Muffin
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

My new-to-me ZR1 is doing something similar.
Old 10-29-2012, 07:36 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

When all was well, if the tender was not hooked up at night, was the battery dead by daytime?
Old 10-29-2012, 07:48 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,254 Likes on 2,017 Posts

Originally Posted by Muffin
My new-to-me ZR1 is doing something similar.
Both of you need to check first for "parasitic" draw on the vehicle. I'd suggest a "google search" for it and read some tutorials. It's very straight forward and you'll need a DMM to accomplish it.

It need NOT be an expensive purchase and you'll eventually need one if you intend on DIY repairs and diagnostics. I wouldn't "cheap-out" on one but it doesn't need to be a major purchase either. Less than 30 minutes and you'll know if you've a problem or NOT. You won't know where but you'll know if there's a problem.

OP - I believe some/most have a 72 hour timer of sorts and if there were a problem with a "sulfated" battery or other issues it might actually "shut down". Read the explanation of lamps on your specific model. Maybe check entire charging system.
Old 10-30-2012, 09:09 AM
jcevans
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 383vett
When all was well, if the tender was not hooked up at night, was the battery dead by daytime?
The battery tender was hooked up continually. I haven't driven the car for 30-45 days.
Old 10-30-2012, 09:14 AM
jcevans
Intermediate

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
Both of you need to check first for "parasitic" draw on the vehicle. I'd suggest a "google search" for it and read some tutorials. It's very straight forward and you'll need a DMM to accomplish it.

It need NOT be an expensive purchase and you'll eventually need one if you intend on DIY repairs and diagnostics. I wouldn't "cheap-out" on one but it doesn't need to be a major purchase either. Less than 30 minutes and you'll know if you've a problem or NOT. You won't know where but you'll know if there's a problem.

OP - I believe some/most have a 72 hour timer of sorts and if there were a problem with a "sulfated" battery or other issues it might actually "shut down". Read the explanation of lamps on your specific model. Maybe check entire charging system.
What is a DMM? I have the factory service manuals.
Old 10-30-2012, 10:02 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 475 Likes on 422 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Digital Multi Meter. You need one that can display current draw in at least tenths of amps (look for a "mA' selection on the DMM). Sears would be a good place to get one' check out the Craftsman Autoranging Multimeter #82141, about $23

Most tenders don't provide much more than 1 to 1.4 amps. It's possible that there is a current draw in the car that equal to or even greater than what the tender can supply. You could also have a bad battery. Have it load tested to see if it needs replacement. Do this first before looking for parasitic current draws.
Old 10-30-2012, 10:12 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,254 Likes on 2,017 Posts

Originally Posted by c4cruiser
Digital Multi Meter. You need one that can display current draw in at least tenths of amps (look for a "mA' selection on the DMM). Sears would be a good place to get one' check out the Craftsman Autoranging Multimeter #82141, about $23

Most tenders don't provide much more than 1 to 1.4 amps. It's possible that there is a current draw in the car that equal to or even greater than what the tender can supply. You could also have a bad battery. Have it load tested to see if it needs replacement. Do this first before looking for parasitic current draws.
When/if you buy the Sears 82141 make sure you buy a couple extra fuses. I believe there are 2 different ones. I don't have an 82141 but I know a fellow that blew a few fuses getting a grip on his draws. The battery load test is first.

Get notified of new replies

To Battery Drain with Battery Tender attached

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Battery Drain with Battery Tender attached