C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

How to learn to fix your car?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 11:02 PM
TractionControlOff
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts
Default How to learn to fix your car?

As I mentioned in my intro post to the forum last week, I'm beginning the process of looking for my first Corvette in the near future.

Now, I'm not one of those guys that was lucky enough to have his father around and teach him how to fix his car growing up, so my mechanical knowledge isn't exactly ideal for an aspiring Corvette owner.

If you were me, a young and (hopefully) soon-to-be C4 owner, where would you start in terms of learning how to work on cars? Obviously I'm not going to be able to rebuild an engine overnight, but I'd like to be able to do basic tech work on my Vette.
Old 10-23-2012, 11:14 PM
Mr. Peabody
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 476 Likes on 353 Posts
C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

1) When you buy your corvette invest $75 - $100 in the 2-volume factory service manual.

2) Spend your weekends over the winter reading back over years of posts in this forum on how to fix various items. There are some really excellent write-ups complete with step by step photos by many of the people on here. PLRX is one individual worth pointing out. He has done some really great how-to write ups.

3) Join a local Corvette club.
Old 10-23-2012, 11:36 PM
NuckinFutz93
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Peabody
1) When you buy your corvette invest $75 - $100 in the 2-volume factory service manual.

2) Spend your weekends over the winter reading back over years of posts in this forum on how to fix various items. There are some really excellent write-ups complete with step by step photos by many of the people on here. PLRX is one individual worth pointing out. He has done some really great how-to write ups.

read, read, and read some more!
Old 10-24-2012, 12:29 AM
corvetteronw
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 247 Likes on 200 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

There a lot of "car guys" around your area. One way is to go to the local drag strip and just hang around the pits and ask questions. Be respectful and offer to help.
Check YouTube how-to videos and subjects such as "how to change a car battery". Look at the tech stickies here.
Old 10-24-2012, 12:53 AM
gerardvg
Melting Slicks

Received 188 Likes on 169 Posts

Another vote here for the field service manual for the particular year corvette you buy.

There are only a few reasons for not owning a service manual

1 You are filty rich.

2 you are Jay Leno (same as one but he has some one look after his cars)

3 you are related to Gordon Killebrew the corvette master.

Old 10-24-2012, 01:05 AM
Silver96ce
Drifting

Received 60 Likes on 53 Posts

I agree with Mr. Peabody and would add that in addition to the Factory Service Manual (FSM) you should buy the Haynes Corvette manual. Though it will not be anywhere near the FSM for repair procedures, it does have a good general maintenance section with photos of tools you may need along with photos of underhood and under car showing various parts. It also has a tune-up and maintenance section which isn't too bad.

In addition to these, if you don't already have them, you need to start to think about the tools you will need to make repairs. Screwdrivers, pliers, a socket set and torx bits, and combination wrenches (gearwrenches are a good idea) make up a minimum tool set along with a good flashlight and plug-in trouble light. If you are going to remove the wheels, a half-inch breaker bar and correct six point socket will make it easier. A hydraulic floor jack and jack stands will make it easier to get the wheels on and off. With tools it can go on and on depending on how in depth your maintenance and repairs become.

On a final note, I'm in Roselle, in Union County, probably not too far from you. If you need any help, PM me and I be glad to lend a hand.
Old 10-24-2012, 01:23 AM
Phat98
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I definitely agree with the first 2 - if you are lucky enough to be in an area with more than 1 Corvette club, ask around...most will let you attend the first meeting free. Some clubs just exist for "bragging rights" and aren't technically oriented. My club has some really great folks in it, but probably 95% percent of them don't turn wrenches (or even own them)...but they can tell you what they paid someone else to fix their problem.

Silver96ce has extended a hand and already started the process for you!

Last edited by Phat98; 10-24-2012 at 01:25 AM. Reason: content
Old 10-24-2012, 01:58 AM
BlackbirdZ07
Safety Car

Received 199 Likes on 128 Posts

Mechanical work can be intimidating when you're just starting out, but the only way to learn is to do it. You just have to jump right in. When your car needs something, first read the manuals and this forum. If you have the time and the tools and it looks half way do-able from what you can tell, then start working. At first many jobs will take a long time and you'll have to stop to go buy supplies, tools and parts. It's just the nature of working on cars. But when you get done you'll have a lot of satisfaction, as well as new supplies, tools and confidence for the next job.
Old 10-24-2012, 02:03 AM
mtwoolford
Melting Slicks

Received 194 Likes on 180 Posts

granted, times, and cars, were simplier then, but I was fortunate enough to grow up in a neighborhood where most of the men were mechanics, or had some mechanical background; and nobody was gonna pay to get some kid's car fixed in a shop...so..."hey kid see that wrench over there, let me show you summ'tin'";

don't overlook mechanical classes offered at a local junior college; and "parts is parts"; it doesn't have to be a corvette, or necessarily even a car; some of the best mechanic's I've known had aircraft or marine / diesel backgrounds.

try to cultivate a mentor; most people are more than willing to help or at least point you in the right direction; don't be afraid to ask questions; there are no "stupid questions". it's when you don't ask questions that trouble happens. Be patient and don't get discouraged; every time you do make a mistake...and everyone has...just realize that thats one less mistake you'll make in the future.

and good luck.
Old 10-24-2012, 05:49 AM
jim spitzer
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

also take pictures,
Old 10-24-2012, 09:38 AM
Railroadman
Team Owner

Received 5,008 Likes on 2,528 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

It's a learning process but you can do it. Start simple - don't make your first project a motor swap. As you tackle small projects you'll gain experience and confidence.

As someone noted or at least suggested, at first you will be spending money out the wazoo for tools. That's OK, in the long run it will pay huge dividends as you avoid paying someone to do things. Don't scrimp on quality. Everybody has opinions on what brands they prefer but DON'T waste your money on cheap Chinese off-brands. Spend the extra bucks now and you'll be glad. Personally I go with Craftsman and Kobalt but there are other good ones out there. (And there are some guys who don't like either of those).

Spring for a good tool cabinet. Get something bigger than what you need now, or else every time you get more tools you'll have to buy a bigger one.

Be sure you have two types of support for working underneath, and NEVER trust a hydraulic jack. Seals can blow out, and while it's rare, it DOES happen and you don't want to be under when it comes down. I use jack stands, and also wooden blocks. I have a whole bunch of 4x4 cut 12 inches long each and I alternate direction - 3 1 way and 3 the other. Be silly on the side of caution - overkill is better than becoming underkill!

You will find that even as you get more experienced, there is a learning curve on each project. You will tackle the left side widget, you'll have to figure out wrench sizes, angles, how things work, and it will take two hours. Then you'll do the same job on the right side in 45 minutes.

And you WILL make mistakes and you WILL pull dumb moves. 95% of those on here will tell you they have done something stupid, and the other 5% are liars. Learn from your mistakes, you will get better as you go.

By the way - one tool you should invest in early is a long stick with a magnet on a swivel. Not sure the proper name but tools and sockets love to drop down into places you can't see or reach and that tool will be a help.

Man, there's a ton of other stuff but hopefully there's a few things I've said which will help. Don't be afraid to ask questions on here. I've been doing my own work on Corvettes since 1967 and I still post here when I'm tackling something and need advice. I freely admit I don't know it all so rely on your friends here to help you along.

And enjoy it - it is rewarding to do something yourself rather than just writing a check.

Last edited by Railroadman; 10-24-2012 at 09:40 AM.
Old 10-24-2012, 11:45 AM
Frizlefrak
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Railroadman
It's a learning process but you can do it. Start simple - don't make your first project a motor swap. As you tackle small projects you'll gain experience and confidence.

As someone noted or at least suggested, at first you will be spending money out the wazoo for tools. That's OK, in the long run it will pay huge dividends as you avoid paying someone to do things. Don't scrimp on quality. Everybody has opinions on what brands they prefer but DON'T waste your money on cheap Chinese off-brands. Spend the extra bucks now and you'll be glad. Personally I go with Craftsman and Kobalt but there are other good ones out there. (And there are some guys who don't like either of those).

Spring for a good tool cabinet. Get something bigger than what you need now, or else every time you get more tools you'll have to buy a bigger one.

Be sure you have two types of support for working underneath, and NEVER trust a hydraulic jack. Seals can blow out, and while it's rare, it DOES happen and you don't want to be under when it comes down. I use jack stands, and also wooden blocks. I have a whole bunch of 4x4 cut 12 inches long each and I alternate direction - 3 1 way and 3 the other. Be silly on the side of caution - overkill is better than becoming underkill!

You will find that even as you get more experienced, there is a learning curve on each project. You will tackle the left side widget, you'll have to figure out wrench sizes, angles, how things work, and it will take two hours. Then you'll do the same job on the right side in 45 minutes.

And you WILL make mistakes and you WILL pull dumb moves. 95% of those on here will tell you they have done something stupid, and the other 5% are liars. Learn from your mistakes, you will get better as you go.

By the way - one tool you should invest in early is a long stick with a magnet on a swivel. Not sure the proper name but tools and sockets love to drop down into places you can't see or reach and that tool will be a help.

Man, there's a ton of other stuff but hopefully there's a few things I've said which will help. Don't be afraid to ask questions on here. I've been doing my own work on Corvettes since 1967 and I still post here when I'm tackling something and need advice. I freely admit I don't know it all so rely on your friends here to help you along.

And enjoy it - it is rewarding to do something yourself rather than just writing a check.

To both....

My friends here just saved me a ton of typing.

DO learn to work on your own car. You will never again (or seldom anyway) be held hostage by a mechanic. And it spreads to other areas in your life too.....7 years ago, I tackled my kitchen remodel on my house. Saved me $8000 over what a contractor wanted. Took 6 months, but came out very nice.

All you need is the knowledge and the confidence. And if you hit a snag, we're always here to help.

Kudos to you for wanting to learn. Wrenching is addictive, BTW
Old 10-24-2012, 01:37 PM
mickey5
Drifting

Received 138 Likes on 110 Posts

One thing to add...have a gearhead friend or pay a few bucks to a trusted mechanic look over your new baby before you plunk down your dollars so you have some idea what your getting into. Remember, these are old cars with many of them driven hard over the years.
Old 10-24-2012, 02:01 PM
Frizlefrak
Race Director

Originally Posted by mickey5
One thing to add...have a gearhead friend or pay a few bucks to a trusted mechanic look over your new baby before you plunk down your dollars so you have some idea what your getting into. Remember, these are old cars with many of them driven hard over the years.
Wouldn't be a bad idea to have a long term C4 owner go with you on that first purchase. They will know where the gremlins hide.
Old 10-24-2012, 02:06 PM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

If it breaks..crack it open and get to work. If you get stuck let us know. I for one would be glad to help and I'm sure many here would as well.
As far as tools go ..I used to be a tech and the best tools are very expensive (MAC, MATCO..etc..). I buy Craftman mostly the tools that I use most end up breaking and I replace them with Snapon or Matco.

Last edited by ch@0s; 10-24-2012 at 02:10 PM.
Old 10-24-2012, 02:31 PM
Frizlefrak
Race Director

Originally Posted by ch@0s
If it breaks..crack it open and get to work. If you get stuck let us know.
There's nothing you can encounter that one of us hasn't already encountered and conquered. Dig in.
Old 10-24-2012, 03:20 PM
leadfoot88
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can relate to you because I started with no mechanical knowledge and every time I dive into a project I learn a little more.

I didn't and won't buy a service manual. For almost any problem you can find google it or look on here and you will fin a step by step w/ pictures on how to do something. There are many different corvette forums and google searches them all so don't necessarily only rely on this one.

It helps to have a back-up car. The funny thing is I bought the C4 as my backup car because when my Hummer needs maintenance, it REALLY needs it! In the past I didn't tackle my own jobs because I could not risk my only car and daily driver sitting broke during the week. Now that I have a second car, if worse comes to worse, it can sit in the garage until I figure it out. Also helps me work without being in a rush. This is the most valuable asset because when learning you have to take your time!

Buy a beater or if you live close to work get a bycicle. Seriously, make sure you can get around before you take your car apart. One time it took me 1 week to change my oil on my truck because some idiot screwed the filter on too tight so I had to take the adapter off the block and then wait for the seal to come in the mail from AM General. Some things you just don't expect to happen.

Lastly, Enjoy. I love working on my cars!

Get notified of new replies

To How to learn to fix your car?

Old 10-24-2012, 03:59 PM
F22
Le Mans Master

Received 275 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by leadfoot88
....I didn't and won't buy a service manual. For almost any problem you can find google it or look on here and you will fin a step by step w/ pictures on how to do something. There are many different corvette forums and google searches them all so don't necessarily only rely on this one.
Gotta disagree on not owning a service manual! You might get away with Googling (and yes, I do that too), but there's a whole lot of information, right there at your fingertips, with clear and concise pictures and instructions on what to do and how to do it.

Replacing the power window mechanism in the 95' was a breeze, because of the FSM! It specifically instructed me to scribe all the locations of the window bolts and Thank God I did, because if you didn't do that, you'd have spent hours manipulating the window position a hundred ways to get it to fit.

I've also got a 74' Corvette Stingray, that I just acquired a month ago and the first thing I did, before I even picked it up, was to get an FSM, an Assembly Manual and a wiring diagram that was laminated and color coded (yeah, the wiring diagram was $25, but imagine the time saved following the under-sized FSM diagram on multiple pages!).

I highly, highly recommend getting the mutherfriggin' Owners Manual too!!! If I would've only known. The 74' is a four speed car, should be simple enough right? Sooo, why won't the key return to the lock position and only once in awhile? Somebody 'overrode' it and you could pull the old key out, but still turn the ignition and start the car without the key?

Got a new ignition cylinder and we carefully disassembled the complex tilt and telescoping steering column down to the basics. Still nada, so we decided to pull the column out of the 74'. I looked at the engine side and saw a rotating arm attached to the column, that in turn, pulled some kind of parking brake looking cable up and that in turn went down and into the trans tunnel next to the Muncie M-21 transmission.

WTF? Looking underneath, I saw this cable run right into the transmission! I used the assembly manual to figure out what it was. It's an "Interlock" cable. The FSM had directions on how to adjust it, so I googled C3 Corvette Interlock Cable and found a very concise description of what it is and how it works!

It's on all the factory four speeds GM produced from the late 60's thru the 70's! It's an Interlock, designed to lock the transmission in 'Reverse', along with the column and THEN you could rotate the key an pull it out! The shifter itself is locked too! So you just can't bump it out of gear and roll it away! How cool is that?

We put a new key cylinder in it and reassembled it and four hours later, guess what, it worked like a charm: Park the car running, put it in reverse, shut it off and rotate the steering wheel slightly to lock it and the key comes right out, go figure! The Owners manual for $13 on Ebay would've told me all of that!
Old 10-24-2012, 04:11 PM
F22
Le Mans Master

Received 275 Likes on 211 Posts

Another ***-Saving FSM story, the radiator change on the 95'! Because it told you exactly how to drain the coolant mixture out of the block and it ain't easy! You're pulling the two huge knock sensors out of the bottom of the block itself! Yeah, I'll keep my FSM.

My brother is a master mechanic, with 30 years of mechanical experience. His greatest advice he ever gave to me was this: You have to be smarter than the part! Just because it ain't coming off this way, or that way, you've got to figure it out and be cool about it, without resorting to breaking the part.

On the 95' knock sensor plugs, specifically the electrical connectors, there was no obvious way to get them off, no side tang, nothing. So I used the FSM to determine the design and it was a 'squeeze' type plug that you squeezed around the sides to pull it off.

I'd highly recommend going to a pick-your-part junkyard and practicing removing bolts, nuts and screws. Also, practice wire harness connector removals. You'll need a small pocket flat-bladed screwdriver to do this. Look at the part, see how it is put together and what does it take to come apart. Often, you'll have removed every visible bolt and it's still hung up! Ask anybody who's removed the heads on a small block chevy, removing every single bolt on the inside of the valve area, only to ignore the bolts on the outside, along the bottom! Meanwhile, you are beating this thing with a rubber hammer and those heads aren't moving!!!

You've got to be smarter than the part! Period!
Old 10-24-2012, 05:31 PM
RetiredSFC 97
Team Owner

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10, '14

Originally Posted by Frizlefrak
To both....

My friends here just saved me a ton of typing.

DO learn to work on your own car. You will never again (or seldom anyway) be held hostage by a mechanic. And it spreads to other areas in your life too.....7 years ago, I tackled my kitchen remodel on my house. Saved me $8000 over what a contractor wanted. Took 6 months, but came out very nice.

All you need is the knowledge and the confidence. And if you hit a snag, we're always here to help.

Kudos to you for wanting to learn. Wrenching is addictive, BTW

Confidence and fearless is my motto.

I was 16 when I replaced my first engine in a 56 chevy. Under a tree with my dad's tool box. No formal training whatsoever. If I got stumped I ask a friend who knew a tad bit more than nothing

It came out fine but it was then I said I would not work under another tree so long as I could afford it.

Well then I found myself in Germany with my Roadrunner and it need some body work. Again I pulled up my sleeves and started banging and sanding. it came out great.

I said never again.

Then I found myself tinkering around with a 69 Chev4X4 with factory air and replaced the carb and that stuff yaddy yadda. Headers etc

Then when I bought my vette all was well. But now all of a sudden it needed some attention.

So I started looking around on the internet and found this place. I then diagnosed several issues with the help of this forum and found write ups on how to do them.

Now then I grew up in a rural area and we always had to work on tractors and machinery and I always did my own tune ups and exhaust and brakes etc so while I am by no stretch a mechanic I am mechanical by nature, and once given instruction either in person or through a manul I can tackle about anything.

But it all starts with a no fear attitude and confidence in myself.

Get a starter tool kit and then add as you need them. If money is no mobject go with Snap on, if money is an object get a good craftmsan starter kit.

Have fun and ask questions here. Oh, and do a lot of research here on any issues that come up. They have ALL been covered before.

Sorry I was in a hurry writing this so there are spelling errors. So sue me.

Quick Reply: How to learn to fix your car?