Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Any funny stories about your corvette purchase?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2002, 07:50 PM
96YellowC4
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any funny stories about your corvette purchase?

When I got my latest case of corvette fever, I started searching coast to coast for another yellow car. My last yellow was a yellow convertible with tan interior...I always had thought that black would be better. Every call that I made on a yellow car brought one of two replies: "We just sold that, but we have a nice 'insert color' one." or "yeah, I still have it...I only want 'insert 3k-5k above market' for it." Needless to say, I was crushed. I finally went to my banker and told him to get the money ready...I was going on a serious hunt...no more searching for yellow! Well, that night I went to look at a 95 green convertible. The price was right and the color was livable for me. The dealer started jacking me around and I walked. My wife consoled me and reminded me that we had a large corvette show to attend the next day about 2 hours from our hometown. Maybe you will find a car for sale there. I walked into the show kind of downtrodden because I was without my car. I made the first turn and there sat a '96 Competition Yellow coupe in excellent shape. After spending all of 2 seconds thinking about it I gave the owner a deposit! He wasn't too happy to have a buyer though...turns out he only put the for sale sign on it to appease his wife! I have never been so happy!!! Dreams do come true!
:D
Old 06-04-2002, 08:28 PM
GS 163
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

Default Re: Any funny stories about your corvette purchase? (96YellowC4)

Cool story, nothing like that here, just looked and drove alot of different vettes until I found mine. When I saw mine it just felt right, like we were meant for each other.:)
Old 06-04-2002, 08:45 PM
GoodbyeGirl
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In III Veteran

Well not even as cool as your story but here it goes...

When I test drove my Vette, I had no idea how powerful it was! I was with the salesperson, turning right onto I pretty busy road. Clueless I floored it! I almost wreaked it! I remember the salesperson saying "Uh, this car has a lot more power than your truck, perhaps you should slow down!" I drove the Vette 25mph all the way back to the dealership. :lol:
Old 06-04-2002, 08:52 PM
skills68
Drifting

Default Re: Any funny stories about your corvette purchase? (GoodbyeGirl)

i bought mine in philly and the guys i bought it off of were wearing guns on there sides` guess i was in a bad part of town :eek: :yesnod: :eek: :yesnod: :eek: :yesnod: :eek: :yesnod: :eek: :yesnod: :eek: :yesnod: :eek: :yesnod: :eek: :yesnod: :eek: :yesnod: :eek: :yesnod: :eek: :yesnod: :eek: :yesnod:
Old 06-04-2002, 08:57 PM
Lv2Driv
Drifting

that is funny Goodbye Girl :lol:
we initially wanted to get a 82 collectors for the wife. what we found was this car in great shape....the owner of the dealership was later chased out of town (later arrested) for selling hot vettes on his lot... seems he knew some people with the Hells Angels and was getting cars from them.... ours was legit thank goodness...
he let it go for 11k 6 years ago when others were asking 14-17 in our area. it had 50k on the odometer. the original owner lived in town and got it regularily serviced at the local chevy dealership. i got all of its service records from them. not funny though.
(duh, that is obvious
:rolleyes: )

[Modified by Lv2Driv, 6:58 PM 6/4/2002]
Old 06-04-2002, 08:58 PM
INaband
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
CI 7-8 Veteran

Yeah, mine was a personal toy for a DODGE dealer sales manager :yesnod: turns out another friend sold him my car, when the sales manager bought mine. Also he then got a 95 c4 convert automatic. I had only looked for 3 days and had test drove one when mine came out in a newspaper ad. Talk about finding one fast, but I loved mine and other people were also looking at it and I knew it would be sold fast.
Old 06-04-2002, 10:00 PM
Route66dan
Instructor

Hope to see ya around OKC at a Vette meet or something. This is a good place for Vette enthusiasts.
danny :yesnod:
Old 06-04-2002, 11:43 PM
rbvette1
Racer

Default Re: Any funny stories about your corvette purchase? (Route66dan)

It was March 17th when I traded my 84' for the 87' I have now. The car had not been prepped yet and as part of the deal I made sure they did so before I would take delivery, As I drove the car out of the Service shop one of the mechanics looked at me and asked "Are you married" I said no "No" and his response was "You will be soon". Well a little more than nine months later on Dec 20th I walked down the aisle with my beautiful bride. It's been 5yrs now since I bought the car, We are still married, The car is paid for and we may buy other Vettes in the future but we will never sell this one. :cheers:
Old 06-05-2002, 12:01 AM
thrills
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Moderatrix
Cruise-In IV Veteran

96YellowC4, my story for vette #1 is similar to yours. We decided to get a vette and went for something around $10K which was 84-87s at the time. Whenever WE called it was always "yeah the car is in great shape" only to get there and find it was :U We must have looked at 20 cars and called on close to 50! We exhausted all the ads except two. I made appointments to see the last two, a black 84 at a dealer and a blue 85 through an individual. We went to the dealer and this car was NICE! 1000% nicer than anything we'd seen. We called the other guy and he said "don't buy that car until you've seen mine"

Being skeptical and having been burned, we put a deposit on the 84. Just for the heck of it, we still went to see the 85. When we got to his house he told us all about the Corvette Pinball connection, turned on the pinball game and said "this is the car" when the game revved up. Then he took us to another room and showed us the poster. We both looked at him incredulous and said "the car looks like THAT?" He assured us that it did indeed look that good and we looked at it and were sold :cheers: We simply told the dealer we could not get the financing and we had already told them we would NOT use their financing. They returned out depost and we got our 85 :)

As for the Ruby, we watched the paper for months. This was the ONLY one I called on and as soon as I saw it, I KNEW it was my car :D
Old 06-05-2002, 12:18 AM
Shark ssn591
Pro

Funny huh... well those of you that can find humor in this story, you know what "marital stress" is

My 15 year old son & I left to get some "carpet tape" for the '85 Ranger destined to be his. After buying the tape we cruised near our church to see if a certain C-4 I had my eye on was still available.

Well it was, the owner was more motivated than last time I talked to him & we basically closed a deal for 8K. (a mere coincidence it is the day after my Birthday).

We get home & I break the news to the wife..I don't really know how to describe it but... she was not (and still is not) pleased.....
My wife of 22 years immediately called in re-inforcements....MY MOM
Generally my mom makes it clear the BRIDE is right, the son is just as wrong as Dad....But in this case the tables were turned... My mom sez..." you know he always wanted one (Vette), I only wish Dad & I could have afforded to get him one, I am glad he finally bought one I hope he is happy.

I'm thinkin see honey...this is good , the wife is sayin' your mom is losing it.

To get to the point...We have not bought a NEW car since 1986, and bought them with a check, the Corvette was no exception.
After over 8 months of, how shall I say it, an over abundance of Marital Stress, I changed my ways and bought her a new $20K car.

For months I'd "bragged" to my buddies I got this sweet Vette w/ 60K miles for 8k, well in reality a $1500 trip to Toronto & a $20K car for the wife..

The '88 coupe cost me a mere 30K. but hey... I like the car, & even though she still "hates that *&^% car and everything it stands for" The Vette is my Birthday present to me.
Old 06-05-2002, 12:52 AM
ZR1991
Drifting

Default Re: Any funny stories about your corvette purchase? (Shark ssn591)

Only people who love these cars can go through such maneuvers to get them. Same here, but with a bunch of luck.

A few years ago, I decided I wanted a C4, and preferably red with tan interior. I had the Cobra at the time, and since it is the only Cobra around here, I had hung out with the Corvette club! As to the ZR1, I knew of its existance, but had never actually studied it or seen it.

Well, I pulled into the regular Corvette show at Hooters with the Cobra, and retired to the bar with some Corvette guys, one of whom I had very high regard (trust) for. I let him know I was just at the point of getting ready to look, and would he help. He took my details, and said yes, he had his "fingers" on all the ones within a couple hundred mile. Great, we went back to the show, and that was it.

Week later, I got a call. Of course it was him. He said "I know a guy that has one he MUST get rid of for health reasons. It's ZR1, and he lives a couple hundred miles away, but I told him to bring it for you to see."

WOW.

Couple hours later, a nice guy arrives, and has this marvelous red/tan ZR1, 1991, 13k miles. Needs it sold immediatly. My friend ( secretary) and I drove it for a half hour while the owner cooled his heels at our shop.

Came back in, and said, "here's a deposit". He said, that wasn't necessary. We said, no, you don't understand the deposit is for good faith. Here is another check for the balance (that's when I could still buy things), and you need to be at such and such notary tomorrow, and we're done... Now how are you going to get home?

End of story is the deal wemt fine, three years later I still love the car, I mean really love the car. I didn't mention this before, but I had just had an amputation of my left leg, and my friend and I made a special little pad to make the clutch seem "higher", and otherwise the car is stock and I drive it quite well (thank you!)

So here is the most perfect car I have ever owned, my first Corveyye ever, first one to even ride in as an adult, I didn't even look at or test drive another car, and this one was the perfect choice!

Time are much tougher right now, because of the medical situation I have, and the cost of the litigation, but we are hunkered down, determind to hold on to the Vette and the Cobra, because when this is all over, we will always remember how we enjoy these cars when everything else is so scarey.

That's a true story, and probably more than necessary for this thread (tho I don't mind sharing the info), but I just wanted every body to think a minute about how the cars we love can have real, even if subtle, effects on our lives.

Damn, it was fun buying that car! Can' wait til the day when I can do it again!

Regards to all who love and appreciate their cars,
Old 06-05-2002, 07:30 AM
Carroll B
Drifting

I met the dealer at the local Wendys. Bought two chicken dinners and gave the man a check for $5K for a car I had never seen. He had the car delivered to his dealership one week later. The full story is on my home page.
Old 06-05-2002, 08:10 AM
squeaky g
Safety Car

I found my 79 on the internet, it was the same color combo I had 20 years earlier, but sold to buy our first house, and always wanted another. I looked at it twice with the wife, she said we couldn';t afford it, but knew it was a good deal and I loved it. Behind the scenes she bought it, got it over to a storage locker near us, had the fluid, belts hoses changed out and had the car detailed. She gave me the keys on Christmas eve! :cool:
The 94 was a :cool: story also. She calls me at work from her job, and says a guy we know has to sell his 94 Vert, and will give us a good price on it so lets go see it after work. He opens the storage garage, takes off the cover and she says you are buying that beautiful Vette. Now I
've got a great C3 and C4.
Old 06-05-2002, 09:36 AM
rcdk
Instructor

I was originally looking for a Formula or TA. I found lots of those in my price range that I liked, but my wife wasn't really into that idea.

Then I went to see one and they had a vette on the lot. It was high miles and in pretty bad shape, but my wife went over and sat in it. She looked up at me and said, "This is what I want." (Funny thing is that it was going to be and is my car.)

So I switched my search to Corvettes, which I had never even considered because we just had a baby. Called on a bunch, but my wife did not like the coupes, and manual convertibles are hard to find. Found an ad for an LT4 at a dealer and called. He wanted way too much and blew me off. :mad I actually had a couple of dealers try the "You're not worthy" approach.

I kept looking, but about a week later that dealer called me and said, "Come on down and lets see if we can make a deal." So on Valentine's day, I took my wife and 6 month old daughter to spend three hours haggling on a car that seats two.

I drove it home that night. :cool:
Old 06-05-2002, 09:44 AM
IMXCITD
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 307 Likes on 290 Posts

Default Re: Any funny stories about your corvette purchase? (rcdk)

Cool story! :)
Old 06-05-2002, 09:59 AM
Bones LT1
Pro

Default Re: Any funny stories about your corvette purchase? (Shark ssn591)

Same thing here only I had to split the down on a Mercedes.
I mentioned to a friend that I wanted to sell my 87 C-4 and my friend says I'll buy it. Opps it was gone. 2 months later another friend says he wanted to sells his LT-1.
I said I'll buy it. Opps another Corvette.
My first friend sold my 87 now he wants my 93.
Around and around where she stops nobody knows.
No-one has had a problem with either car and were all still friends.
The friend I bought my 93 from is looking for a C-5. Here it goes again.
Old 06-05-2002, 10:21 AM
96YellowC4
Advanced

Always fun to hear about everyone's adventures! Keep 'em coming! :D

Get notified of new replies

To Any funny stories about your corvette purchase?

Old 06-05-2002, 10:29 AM
LayZ
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

i think it's funny now so does the wife. I told her i was "looking" when in reality i already bought. So when she saw it in the driveway i slept in it that night. It was very ugly, Your allowed one huge blunder in a marrage i just made mine early.
Old 06-05-2002, 12:20 PM
84number2083
Pro

My story isn't really funny, but more typical (hope there's not too many car dealers offended by this). Back in 1986 I had been looking casually for a while to trade my almost new Camaro for a vette. I finally got serious and saw an 82 in the paper at this areas "corvette dealer" Chevy dealer. I took it for a ride and was fairly impressed but not thrilled completely. I told the dealer what I wanted for my Camaro and we started negotiating. They played the old "I have to talk to the manager" game with me for 4 solid hours, I went through 2 assistant managers and the big kahuna with them taking turns trying to beat me up with their lines of "I won't make any money", "you can't compare a Camaro to a Vette (true, I know)", and "for $XXX you can be driving this car tomorrow". Well, after waiting one last time for the assistant manager to talk to the manager I peaked into the classifieds one more time and saw an 84 for sale at another dealership. Hmmmm....they came in (for some reason needing 3 guys this time all at once) and made me a final offer to which I said...I'll let you know, I'm going to go look at an 84 (which was only $2,000 more than the 82 and obviously a much more technologically advanced machine, as the ads said) and they were not happy :mad Well, if they hadn't of jerked me around for 4 hours they would have had a sale. I went to the other dealer, took a 5 minute test drive and took 5 minutes to make a deal...and I've owned my 84 ever since.
Old 06-05-2002, 12:42 PM
Raskell5
Instructor

I bought my Vette 3 days before the birth of my 3rd daughter. Knowing that we aren't going to have any more kids and that I won't have a son to carry on the name, I guess that I got to moping around. I honestly couldn't believe it when the wife told me to "pull the trigger" and buy it. :)
Now I have another baby and my favorite car. Life can't get much better than this. :cheers:

Quick Reply: Any funny stories about your corvette purchase?