C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Single post lift for storage

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 03:49 PM
vetteset8087
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Single post lift for storage

Does anybody have any exerience with single post lifts ? My addiction has gown bigger than my parking area and now I want to double stack my cars using a lift. I'm looking at a single post lift to put one car on lift it up then park another car underneath it. My plan now is to put in a 24' wide X 41' long 10' high metal carport then get a single post lift. I'm looking at this type of lift http://www.derekweaver.com/update/W-...ct.aspx?id=238

Because I don't know which side to put it on and this one is mobil and it's an open platform so I can use it to work on cars too. What I don't want to do is buy a lift that might drop one car on top of the other and destroy both of them.

My concrete pad is 23'X40' 3-1/2" thick reinforced concrete and I will be parking an 80 Vette and a 92 Vette on it.
Old 10-02-2012, 07:33 PM
MyOtherCar
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Of all the people I know that have lifts in their personal garages, none of them have a single pole lift. That may or not say something about the popularity of such, or maybe no one is familiar with them.

I have lifts, a two post and a four post, and I can tell you that I would never use a lift that was not bolted to the floor. And in such case, each of my lifts as well as those I know of, have concrete footers installed under the lifting points prior to the concrete floor being poured.

Why wouldn't you install a four post lift? They cost the same, can work in a 9' ceiling area, and are a lot sturdier than that offereing.

Just sayin, you know.......
Old 10-02-2012, 09:16 PM
vetteset8087
Instructor

I can't use a 4 post lift because of the way I have to park my other cars. 2 of the posts will make it almost impossible to get my other cars out and difficult at best to get cars onto the lift. I thought about a fixed 2 post lift but one of the posts will block off the back parking area. I can't put the lift in the back of the parking area because it will be visible from the street that runs behind my property. I think the city will get upset and cause me problems and it will look pretty ghetto. I wish I had enuff room to put a 2 or 4 post lift in but if I did I would have the room I need to park my cars without a lift.

I guess I could divorce my wife that will leave an empty parking spot and I might be able to figure out a way to park one on her side of the bedroom .... Hhahaha..... Does the fact that I even thought about that mean that I've gone overboard with my car addiction ?
Old 10-02-2012, 11:15 PM
Churchkey
Melting Slicks

Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts

Worked all kinds of lifts, single post & front/rear hydraulic in ground at a dealership. Had a single post hydraulic in ground installed @ one shop in the 70's. 2 post above ground non clear floor span & a 2 post asymmetrical lift at another shop. Had a 4 post with the wheel kit for easy moving, good lift for storage, PITA for anything more than an oil change. The 2 post asymmetrical lift was the most user friendly. Am considering having one installed in the near future.

Just looking at he pallet lift gives me "the *******", its not something I would work under.

Get a good lift. Suggest closing off the back of the carport. If zoning will not allow it how about using treated wood lattice to close it off & plant climbing vines. It would then be a landscape feature not a building wall or permanent structure.

Good luck & think SAFETY.

Originally Posted by vetteset8087
I guess I could divorce my wife that will leave an empty parking spot and I might be able to figure out a way to park one on her side of the bedroom .... Hhahaha..... Does the fact that I even thought about that mean that I've gone overboard with my car addiction ?
Not from my point of view. Took me 2 years to build a new DIY shop afer relocating. 3 motorcycles, a fresh engine & trans + seats for the 57 Chevy build all lived in the family room during that time. If I had sliding doors in that room the 57 Chevy might have been in there also. The Mrs. made covers for all of it to match the drapes.
Old 10-03-2012, 06:56 AM
dclafleur
Le Mans Master

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by MyOtherCar
Of all the people I know that have lifts in their personal garages, none of them have a single pole lift. That may or not say something about the popularity of such, or maybe no one is familiar with them.

I have lifts, a two post and a four post, and I can tell you that I would never use a lift that was not bolted to the floor. And in such case, each of my lifts as well as those I know of, have concrete footers installed under the lifting points prior to the concrete floor being poured.

Why wouldn't you install a four post lift? They cost the same, can work in a 9' ceiling area, and are a lot sturdier than that offereing.

Just sayin, you know.......
I'm wanting to put a lift in my shop, I just don't know where to start..
Old 10-03-2012, 10:53 AM
Klondike
Race Director

Received 110 Likes on 89 Posts

I would be afraid of the possibility of off center loading that would affect the center of balance. I saw one of a similar style, suddenly just 'sipt out' from under the car and dropped it on it's side against the other car in the garage. Two damaged cars and a problem to untangle from inside a garage. I'm scared of them.
Old 10-03-2012, 10:59 AM
vetteset8087
Instructor

Ok I think I figured out how to make a 4 post lift work. Does anybody have advice on a good 4 post lift for parking and service. I don't need the best high dollar lift it will mostly be used for storage and occasional undercar work. I was looking at this website http://www.bestbuyautoequipment.com/...ifts-s/290.htm price is important so if anybody knows where to find a good price on a good unit please let me know
Old 10-03-2012, 11:12 AM
vetteset8087
Instructor

MYothercar..... When I saw the end of your post where it says "You Know" I had to look to see who you are. My friends and I say that to each other joking around but it has a different meaning. We use it as a take off from this joke.

A guy has been going to this store everday for years and every time he left the store there was a parrot sitting by the door and everyday as he left the store the parrot would say " Hey F##k you" after years of having the bird say "Hey F##K you " everytime he left he was tired of it. He went and talked to the store manager and told him that everytime he left the store the parrot would say "Hey F##K You " and he was sick of it. The store manager told him he would have a talk with the parrot and take care of it. The next day the guy goes into the store does his shopping and is walking out the door the parrot sees him and says ...... HEY ....... You know..... hahhaaha
Old 10-03-2012, 11:21 AM
Sweet 90
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Klondike
I would be afraid of the possibility of off center loading that would affect the center of balance. I saw one of a similar style, suddenly just 'sipt out' from under the car and dropped it on it's side against the other car in the garage. Two damaged cars and a problem to untangle from inside a garage. I'm scared of them.

Old 10-03-2012, 12:11 PM
96 Vette CE
Banned Loser
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: They say you learn from your mistakes, I must be a genius
Received 248 Likes on 114 Posts
2017 Corvette of the Year
2016 C4 of Year Finalist
Creator of the "Original" whining and crying thread
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by Sweet 90

I think I'll stick with my Kwiklift.
Old 10-03-2012, 12:27 PM
vetteset8087
Instructor

Kwiklift is out of business !!
Old 10-03-2012, 02:13 PM
96 Vette CE
Banned Loser
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: They say you learn from your mistakes, I must be a genius
Received 248 Likes on 114 Posts
2017 Corvette of the Year
2016 C4 of Year Finalist
Creator of the "Original" whining and crying thread
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by vetteset8087
Kwiklift is out of business !!

Plenty of used ones out there for sale. There are a couple for sale here in the for sale section as we speak.

Get notified of new replies

To Single post lift for storage

Quick Reply: Single post lift for storage