C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Need advice about c4 purchase

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 02:35 PM
Fever72
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need advice about c4 purchase

I am considering buying a 93 6spd with around 34K miles. I have not seen the car in person but from pictures it appears to be in very good shape. It is listed from a dealer and has the upgraded sport seats but no ride control. They are asking around $12K. The carfax says a couple of owners and it was only driven a few thousand miles during the past ten years...not sure if that is good or bad. Do you all think that is a fair price? Also, I could pay cash for this car but if I would save my money I could buy a C5 for not a whole lot more. What would you do?
Old 09-27-2012, 03:30 PM
kimmer
Le Mans Master

Received 60 Likes on 41 Posts
C4 of the Year Finalist

Imo 9000-1000 would be about right if it's a really clean good running car needing nothing. As far as the c5 goes it's up to you what you like best. The c5's in the range you'r talking about are usually high mile cars. I was thinking about a c5 but after looking at a few I decided I like the way my c4 is set up and want to keep it.

Last edited by kimmer; 09-28-2012 at 02:21 PM.
Old 09-27-2012, 05:00 PM
ckwhite
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do you have any photos of it: outside, interiors, engine compartment?
Old 09-28-2012, 01:40 PM
samcook86
Cruising

Originally Posted by Fever72
I am considering buying a 93 6spd with around 34K miles. I have not seen the car in person but from pictures it appears to be in very good shape. It is listed from a dealer and has the upgraded sport seats but no ride control. They are asking around $12K. The carfax says a couple of owners and it was only driven a few thousand miles during the past ten years...not sure if that is good or bad. Do you all think that is a fair price? Also, I could pay cash for this car but if I would save my money I could buy a C5 for not a whole lot more. What would you do?
i have a 93 6spd vert.

things you NEED to know about these cars.
a replacement oem flywheel will cost anywhere in the range of 1200$ to 2400$. they did a weird dual mass setup on these cars with the 6spd zf6 transmissions. you can do a conversion that will cost about 1000$ if you do the work yourself, but your going to get a bunch of noise from the transmission after the fact.
so make sure the clutch is strong.

ask when the last tune up was. the rotor and cap is kinda pricey. see if they will do a tune up before you buy.

it is better that the car doesn't have the ride control. they break and are a pain and very expensive to replace (about 240$ a shock where ive seen). without it you can put just standard shocks on it for a very reasonable price.

12$ sounds like a dealer price to me. i got mine (of course with 90xxx miles on it) for 4800. granted i had to put a new clutch in it and new u joints replace a halfshaft, but i did all the work myself so it was worth it. i think you could get them down a couple thousand if you don't mind haggling. thats the name of the game when you go to a dealer right?

personally i would save my money and get a c5. but if you can get them to come down in price it would be a good deal.
good luck vette shopping!
Old 09-28-2012, 02:05 PM
higgyburners
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy
St. Jude Donor '15,'19

that price sound right for a dealer, you could always work on them a little.
Old 09-28-2012, 02:11 PM
92ragtop
Melting Slicks

Received 203 Likes on 117 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods)
2015 C4 of Year Finalist

For a premium price like that, it should have relatively new tires...check the date codes.
Check all the weather stripping. It's $$ to replace.
Even with low miles, you want to see the condition of the seats, especially the drivers bolster.
Make sure the Bose radio unit works, along with all 4 speakers. Chances are that some component is kaput.
Old 09-28-2012, 02:20 PM
JeffnSharyn
Advanced

Make sure the heater works. The heater-core is a bear to replace & expensive should you wish to have it installed. I also recommend replacing all of the 19 year old heater hoses.
Old 09-28-2012, 03:40 PM
blr33439
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

I paid $15k for this ZR1 with 38k miles and a ton of upgrades. $12k is not unreasonable, but the car should be nearly flawless and garage kept.

Old 09-28-2012, 04:13 PM
Fever72
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by samcook86
i have a 93 6spd vert.

things you NEED to know about these cars.
a replacement oem flywheel will cost anywhere in the range of 1200$ to 2400$. they did a weird dual mass setup on these cars with the 6spd zf6 transmissions. you can do a conversion that will cost about 1000$ if you do the work yourself, but your going to get a bunch of noise from the transmission after the fact.
so make sure the clutch is strong.

ask when the last tune up was. the rotor and cap is kinda pricey. see if they will do a tune up before you buy.

it is better that the car doesn't have the ride control. they break and are a pain and very expensive to replace (about 240$ a shock where ive seen). without it you can put just standard shocks on it for a very reasonable price.

12$ sounds like a dealer price to me. i got mine (of course with 90xxx miles on it) for 4800. granted i had to put a new clutch in it and new u joints replace a halfshaft, but i did all the work myself so it was worth it. i think you could get them down a couple thousand if you don't mind haggling. thats the name of the game when you go to a dealer right?

personally i would save my money and get a c5. but if you can get them to come down in price it would be a good deal.
good luck vette shopping!
Thanks for the specifics I did not know about the clutch issue and will pay close attention to it.$10k was the top price in my mind and i will look at it in a few days too busy right now. Thanks for all the feedback guys. I know everyone says the C5 is more refined but I love the looks and feel of the C4

Last edited by Fever72; 09-28-2012 at 04:19 PM.
Old 09-28-2012, 04:29 PM
JeffnSharyn
Advanced

I looked at the C5 & C6, but the C4 for me is a better choice. Sometimes "more refined" doesn't always mean better.
Old 09-28-2012, 05:16 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

For that price that car better be absolutely perfect and mop the floor, too.
Ride control just one less thing to buy parts for when they break
Old 09-28-2012, 06:22 PM
AirForceOne!
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

You really need to see the car in person so you can look it over really good! Then take it for a long test drive and make sure everything works, a/c, heater, radio, lights, antenna, windows, wipers, basically everything! If everything checks out and you I would probably spend $10 grand at the most.
Old 09-29-2012, 01:43 AM
#70SM2
Racer

Default C4'

Originally Posted by Fever72
Forget the C5 or 6 .. The C4 still has lowest co-efficient drag ratio. It rocks & rolls, but kicks serious ***. With efficient mods, it is world class 'SuperCar' .. many do not believe me, but have on YouTube .. Beating million doller Ferarri's and 'Ford GT' .. There is no car in world for price that can compete with C4 Corvette. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tomfs8zyYgM

Get notified of new replies

To Need advice about c4 purchase

Quick Reply: Need advice about c4 purchase