Thinking about C4 Headlight Project

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 09:15 PM
blr33439
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking about C4 Headlight Project

I am debating whether to work on a new headlight project. I know many people like the flip headlights, but want better performance. Hella now makes a DOT Bi-halogen headlamp that I believe will work in place of the original headlamp unit. It will take a little modifying, but I believe the project time will be minimal. I have a couple options for the retrofit.

A: Build a complete new unit with a sleeker cover - very expensive, probably $1000++

B: Build a retrofit kit with a insert cover - Moderate price - $500-700

C: Build just a bracket with lights - Medium price $450-550 but not as finished in appearance

Here are some pictures of the headlamp I am considering. It is made by Hella and very high in performance. There is also a DOT HID version of this headlamp, but I am not sure if it is worth the price:
Name:  C4_headlight_example.jpg
Views: 1045
Size:  56.3 KB

Name:  C4_headlight_projector.jpg
Views: 987
Size:  48.1 KB
Old 09-27-2012, 10:12 AM
darlis@att.net
Navigator

If you do this would you sell your headlight motors, I need drivers side?
Old 09-27-2012, 10:13 AM
darlis@att.net
Navigator

Any chance you would sell your drivers side headllight motor? can reach me at email darlis@att.net
Old 09-27-2012, 11:08 AM
blakngold4life
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

One headlight idea that I have been messing with, but wont have the overhead to produce multiple units for a long time, is to make a lower opening headlight like a forum member is doing for the C5 http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-g...hread-3-a.html
Instead of having a flat top to them like on the C5, I was going to use the same shape from the current cover or even curve it to the lights themselves. My personal plan of attack is to find the lights I am going to use, "chop" the covers, create a fiberglass bezel to hold them together and make that a solid piece. Then use the existing headlight motor to operate it. With your connections and materials you may be able to accomplish something similar at a relatively low cost.
Old 09-27-2012, 04:21 PM
rocco16
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by blr33439
I know many people like the flip headlights, but want better performance.
In that case, the easiest way to good performance is a set of Hella H4 headlights with 100/80W Philips H4 bulbs. Not very exotic, and you won't get many oohs and ahhs at the next Vette group gathering, but they put out some great lighting.

Larry
Old 09-27-2012, 07:07 PM
blr33439
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by blakngold4life
One headlight idea that I have been messing with, but wont have the overhead to produce multiple units for a long time, is to make a lower opening headlight like a forum member is doing for the C5 http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-g...hread-3-a.html
Instead of having a flat top to them like on the C5, I was going to use the same shape from the current cover or even curve it to the lights themselves. My personal plan of attack is to find the lights I am going to use, "chop" the covers, create a fiberglass bezel to hold them together and make that a solid piece. Then use the existing headlight motor to operate it. With your connections and materials you may be able to accomplish something similar at a relatively low cost.
The problem with adjusting the covers is that the frame fills most of the area under the covers. I looked for a simple solution, but the frame is incorporated into the rotating point. I can design an entirely new frame which would allow a much lower profile, but that would most likely require a large injection mold. I have also considered the possibility of a reduced number of welded frames, but I will wait until after I have laser scanned and made some CAD adjustments to decide. I am still leaning towards a modified cover that accounts for the round projector light. I like the idea of adjusting the pivot stop to obtain a sleaker look. I may incorporate that in the design. Depending on how I make the bracket, I could look into cutting the original frame to obtain a lower profile. I am also interested in any ideas out there including photoshop pictures. My last design came out very well because of the feedback I received.

As for the Hella H4s, they are better than stock, but I would not place them in the same category as the Hella projector models.
Old 09-27-2012, 10:38 PM
93Rubie
Safety Car

Received 185 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by rocco16
In that case, the easiest way to good performance is a set of Hella H4 headlights with 100/80W Philips H4 bulbs. Not very exotic, and you won't get many oohs and ahhs at the next Vette group gathering, but they put out some great lighting.

Larry
Old 09-28-2012, 12:26 AM
1analguy
Pro

Received 68 Likes on 34 Posts

Back in the late '90s when I was still driving my '96 semi-regularly, I had a set of Cibie H4 Euro-housings in the car and they made all the difference in the world. When I stored the car, I removed them and put the stock "candles" back in. Now, with the readily-available whiter H4 bulbs...I'm considering re-installing them. The stock units just seem useless, now that I'm used to the H.I.D.s in my other vehicles.
Old 09-28-2012, 12:34 AM
1analguy
Pro

Are these the ones that you're referring to?

http://www.myhellalights.com/index.p...90mm-bi-xenon/

This will be quite a project, but the results will be worth it, even if you stop at just the one set for yourself...
Old 09-28-2012, 04:54 AM
gerardvg
Melting Slicks

Received 188 Likes on 169 Posts

I have 55watt hi/lo HID lights with the H4 holders that fit the H4 headlight in my vette, they are fantastic a quick simple upgrade and you get to keep the flip up lights .
Old 09-28-2012, 04:33 PM
blr33439
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 1analguy
Are these the ones that you're referring to?

http://www.myhellalights.com/index.p...90mm-bi-xenon/

This will be quite a project, but the results will be worth it, even if you stop at just the one set for yourself...
Yes. I am starting with the halogen style which run about $150 per side so $300 in headlamps alone. The HID version is about $1000 per set. They are DOT certified, but I don't think $1000 is reasonable even for high quality DOT HIDs. I am considering doing some research and then following with my own DOT certification. It would end up at about half that price.

The main item for discussion is how to change the housings and cover. The goal is to improve looks and performance while keeping the cost low. I already designed a fixed position kit for those that don't like flip lights. A new, more streamlined cover is easy(I can actually have that finished fast enough to embarrass most companies). The real question, is what changes to make to the structure that allow for the new headlamps and cover while also keeping the cost low. I don't want to go over $600 for the kit, $700 HID and it must be profitable in low numbers. What makes things difficult is that the 90mm Bi-halogen lights are more expensive than the 60mm single beams($300 vs $200).
Old 09-28-2012, 04:43 PM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

Received 173 Likes on 149 Posts

Would you be making the Light bucket slim so it is not sticking up as high when the lights are on?

CorvettetHID Offers a projector basically in an OEM sized housing. so something slim would be cool

I also see CorvetteHID sells your first design
Old 09-28-2012, 05:08 PM
blr33439
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by -=Jeff=-
Would you be making the Light bucket slim so it is not sticking up as high when the lights are on?

CorvettetHID Offers a projector basically in an OEM sized housing. so something slim would be cool

I also see CorvetteHID sells your first design
The goal is to make the 90mm Bi-xenon fit with good adjustability and make a lower profile cover. The difficulty is in the frame for the system. Here is a picture of the C4 system without the cover.
Name:  P1020251.jpg
Views: 1006
Size:  56.7 KB
As you can see, the frame is in two parts, the main frame that rotates and an additional support section to hold the flat cover. Modifying the support section to be lower profile would be simple. Modifying the main frame is the difficult part because it is a mechanical portion of the system. I could completely redesign the entire system, but that would be expensive due to mold costs. I am leaning toward designing a new mounting section and an upgraded slimer cover. It would require cutting the original frame, but I think most people are capable.

A few mentioned adjusting the rotation like some of the C5 designs, but that will not work due to the way the C4 system rotates. Reducing the degrees of rotation would cause the back section to remain above the hood line.

If most people are happy with the stock cover and would be good with just a simple coverplate over the lights, I could probably keep the cost below $500 Halogen and $600 HID.
Old 09-29-2012, 08:05 AM
gerardvg
Melting Slicks

I got my HID 55 watt hi/lo kit on ebay to suit H4 type lights for around $80. It came complete with relay, ballast's HID lights and wiring harness.
Old 09-29-2012, 08:24 AM
JW Motorsports
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 265 Likes on 253 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17,'19,'22

Originally Posted by blakngold4life
That would be my vote.

Oh yeah we make those
Old 09-29-2012, 09:01 AM
blr33439
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by JW@JWMotoring.com
That would be my vote.

Oh yeah we make those
Great as an idea, but not so much in practice. Do you actually have engineers. A quick inspection shows that the C4 and C5 have different methods of operation. The C5 raises and lowers making a range adjustment simple. I am considering making a light upgrade for the C5 setup in the next couple months and it will be well below the $800 mark. The C4 rotates about 180 degrees. To make a lower opening design would cause the rear portion to stick up.
Old 09-30-2012, 03:00 AM
1analguy
Pro

Originally Posted by gerardvg
I got my HID 55 watt hi/lo kit on ebay to suit H4 type lights for around $80. It came complete with relay, ballast's HID lights and wiring harness.
This is the most cost-effective and efficient way to convert your car's headlights into eye-searing flood lights...

Get notified of new replies

To Thinking about C4 Headlight Project

Old 09-30-2012, 04:13 AM
gerardvg
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 1analguy
This is the most cost-effective and efficient way to convert your car's headlights into eye-searing flood lights...
Well maybe with some kits, but these come with the correct h4 type cut outs so when aimed correctly there is no problem. Mine are correctly aimed.

I have been driving with these for some months day and night and they are also aimed slightly down so as to not blind other motorists. I have never been "flashed" by other drivers as the normal beam does not shine that high (will only partly illuminate the bumper of a car in front).

Yes i do agree if unwary people install them "removing the special cut outs" they can be a problem especially in 4x4 type vehicles. There are warnings on the kit to check your headlight aim.
If removing those cut outs then you will need a projector type light so you don't blind people.

Old 09-30-2012, 05:37 AM
gerardvg
Melting Slicks

As you can see they look as H4 lights do just brighter. (sorry they were taken with a mobile phone)

Last edited by gerardvg; 09-30-2012 at 05:45 AM.
Old 09-30-2012, 02:33 PM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

Quick Reply: Thinking about C4 Headlight Project