C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

storing my Corvette outside...dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2012, 01:36 PM
L98auto
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Default storing my Corvette outside...dilemma

I apologize if this post runs a liitle long. I have an '86 with about 94000 on the clock. The car is in very good shape with original paint and interior. The car was handed down to me by my father who recently surcumbed to lung cancer. While not my dream Vette, it has a tremendous amount of sentimental value to me. He always wanted a Vette and bought this one when I was about 12. I'm 35 now. Its always been a member of the family. During my ownership, the car basically sat because I worked in a bad part of the city where cars were routinely vandalized. Now I have moved and got a new job to which I can finally drive the Corvette. Unfortunately, I no longer have garage space for the car and I can't afford a storage unit.

How much damage does letting a car sit out inflict? Would a car cover help? I don't want the paint to get scratched badly. I don't mind the cost of a good cover IF it will protect the car properly. Some family members are suggesting I just sell the car, that its just an object. To a degree, they're right. I just don't want to slowly kill the car by having it sit out. Very torn. I plan on another move in 3 years time and fully intend on a two-car garage at that time.
Old 09-23-2012, 01:47 PM
VeryUnoriginal
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I have to store my '93 outside also. Just buy a quality car cover (make sure it's for outdoor use). It'll be fine with the car cover under it. Of course if someone is really intent on vandalizing it, they'll do it whether it's covered or not. Hope all goes well!
Old 09-23-2012, 01:53 PM
ScottMA64
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Sorry about your dad. As far as storing outside I would probably do the same thing rv'ers do. Put steel wool in the exhaust pipes, moth ***** in the engine bay and dryer sheets in the interior. Need to keep those critters out of the car!

Scott
Old 09-23-2012, 01:54 PM
AirForceOne!
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Sorry for your loss! I would keep it if I were you since it has tremendous sentimental value! Yes, you could sell it, but I think you would regret it in the long run! Buy a good quality cover for it.

Where do you live?
Old 09-23-2012, 02:20 PM
ghoastrider1
Le Mans Master

Received 265 Likes on 240 Posts

good post, I have to do the same...wife is fighting lung cancer now.
Old 09-23-2012, 02:31 PM
VeryUnoriginal
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ghoastrider1
good post, I have to do the same...wife is fighting lung cancer now.
Originally Posted by L98auto
The car was handed down to me by my father who recently surcumbed to lung cancer
My thoughts are out to both of you and your families. A very close family member of mine went through a lot a little over a year ago with ovarian cancer.

Old 09-23-2012, 04:08 PM
L98auto
Instructor

Thanks for the replies. Yeah, cancer sucks bad. My dad was my best friend. We went to Corvettes at Carlisle every year in that '86. So, a car cover will help. Can anyone recommend a good one? I do get some wind at my house from time to time. From what little I've read, a floppy cover blowing around in the wind is what actually scratches the paint. I assume there might be a way to tie them down tight.
Old 09-23-2012, 05:20 PM
AirForceOne!
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

How much are you looking to spend? There are tons of them on the market, just remember you get what you pay for. Here's a nice one I'm thinking of getting even though I park mine inside.

http://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb....Z5Z5Z50000050F
Old 09-23-2012, 10:24 PM
93Rubie
Safety Car

Received 185 Likes on 129 Posts

Get the best one you can afford, Corvette Central/Ecklers, etc...has lots of them to choose from. Get one with a tie down/cable lock so you can secure the cover to the car. Also, make sure it has a good elastic hem at the bottom so flapping is minimized.

I agree on the steel wool, mothballs, etc....take the battery out as well.
Make sure it is squeaky clean and has fresh wax on the paint, no dirt on paint, no dirt on cover=no scratches.
Old 09-23-2012, 11:49 PM
Hephaestus
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You might consider a temporary garage. I bought mine here: http://www.portablegaragedepot.com/index.cfm

I selected the round style and find it's very nice. It cost me a total of $680 for it, but half of that was for shipping (I live in CO). For the cost of an exceptionally nice cover, I believe you'd do better with one of these.
Old 09-23-2012, 11:57 PM
NuckinFutz93
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I personally use California car covers. I like the superweave covers, but they make great covers for just about any budget.
Old 09-24-2012, 12:00 AM
Frizlefrak
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 93Rubie
Get the best one you can afford, Corvette Central/Ecklers, etc...has lots of them to choose from. Get one with a tie down/cable lock so you can secure the cover to the car. Also, make sure it has a good elastic hem at the bottom so flapping is minimized.
I have to leave one of my cars outside. I have a good quality cover on it to keep the sun from killing the paint and interior, and it's worked so far. Do use a locking cable, or your expensive car cover won't be there long. Mine was on two weeks before someone (unsuccessfully) tried to heist it.

Wax the car, use a good outdoor cover, all will be well.
Old 09-24-2012, 05:23 AM
L98auto
Instructor

Ecklers has a Silverguard by Coverking for 135. It looks nice but I really don't know a thing about covers. I'm glad to hear they work. I'm willing to spend up to 200 (maybe more if justified).
Old 09-24-2012, 05:52 AM
Katherinejjm
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get the best one you can afford, Corvette Central/Ecklers, etc.

Old 09-24-2012, 07:08 AM
bac22
Le Mans Master

Received 186 Likes on 163 Posts

A nice car cover will not scratch paint and you can tie them down as most car covers come with tie down holes on the bottom. I've been storing my 96 outside in NE winters since I got it and it still looks great.

The only thing that I hate about a car cover is you have to put it on a clean car, so every time you drive you it, you will need to wash the car before using the cover...that's usually the main reason people complain about scratches. Also if you're storing it outside for long amounts of time keep an eye out for mice.

And definitely buy a top of the line cover, they can't be beat. Also, not sure if you live in a snow belt, but during the winter, I suggest brushing the snow off after a good storm. The reason being is if you get freezing rain later with the snow on the cover it really starts putting a lot of weight on to the car.
Old 09-24-2012, 08:00 AM
Raidmagic
Melting Slicks

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Are you going to be letting it sit alot or driving it on a daily basis? You can buy one of those canvas garages from sams for about $250.
Old 09-24-2012, 08:31 AM
Frizlefrak
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Raidmagic
Are you going to be letting it sit alot or driving it on a daily basis? You can buy one of those canvas garages from sams for about $250.
Which isn't much more than a quality cover. Ensure you anchor it down good if you live in a windy area.

Get notified of new replies

To storing my Corvette outside...dilemma

Old 09-24-2012, 11:32 PM
CE1
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Used California Car Cover for 6 yrs now ..GREAT! superweave...............
Old 09-25-2012, 05:18 AM
SQUIRMIN VERMIN 84
Drifting

Location: Supreme Soviet Peace-Loving Pipple's Kollektive of Seattle Wa
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

About $200 gets you a 10'X20' tent. Anchour it down for windy season and put a good car cover on the car.
Mine last about 3 years..

Old 09-25-2012, 07:34 AM
gerardvg
Melting Slicks

Received 188 Likes on 169 Posts

For only 3 years don't feel too bad, wax her regularly and try to keep her out of the sun.... the ultra violet light is the worst thing apart from not driving her regularly

Quick Reply: storing my Corvette outside...dilemma