Intro and Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2012, 09:26 PM
Peabrain
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intro and Question

Hey Vette Lovers,

Been lurking in this forum for a couple months now and I finally decided to make an account and introduce myself...

Ps. I know there is an intro thread already but I felt it was more appropriate to create mine here because I really only frequent the C4 section of this forum and would like to get to know C4 owners as well as hopefully some of you guys can answer my question

But before that,
A little about me

20 years old
Reside in Toronto, Canada
Love Vettes with a passion but especially C4s

Now to my question,

I have wanted to get a C4 for a few years now, well maybe a little longer than a few, ever since my Father took me to corvette weekend year after year in Wasaga Beach (Ontario Vette owners should know this event) when I was a child, Ive wanted one

Now Ive never owned a car before, I have my driving license and occasionally drive my parents car when I really need to, other than that, I take the bus and subway to school and work (living in the city the transit system is pretty good)

My question is, what are your thoughts on buying a C4 vette as a first car? Most of my peers are buying or have already bought little toyotas and hondas as daily drivers, which is the norm. If I bought a C4 I would not drive it as a daily driver but more on the weekends and 1 or 2 nights during the week and take the bus the rest of the time. My family and friends think im crazy (except for my dad) for even thinking about doing this but the love of driving and owning a vette means more to me than having the convenience and reliability of a daily driver beater

In a nutshell, am I crazy for wanting to give up a reliable, convenient, cheap daily driver which I would drive everywhere, for a C4, that I would enjoy, love to drive, and cherish But have to take the bus until I can afford to keep the vette and have a daily driver?

Also, keep in mind, I have taken transit for most of my life, and I dont mind it at all
Old 09-16-2012, 10:31 PM
jesters94
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
2016 C4 of the Year Finalist
2015 C4 of the Year Finalist

Default Welcome

I know several people on here that drive their Corvette on a daily basis. With that said, you are not crazy for wanting one as a first car, especially if you don't plan on driving it much. Just make sure you get one that has been well taken care of!!

Good luck with your search.
Old 09-16-2012, 11:41 PM
92ragtop
Melting Slicks

Received 203 Likes on 117 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods)
2015 C4 of Year Finalist

My advice is to get a beater car first, and drive that for a while before you step up to a vette. You'd feel a whole lot worse cracking up a nice car than a beater. I'm not trying to be a downer, but statistics show that new drivers have a lot more crashes than more experienced drivers. Get a few thousand miles under your belt, and use that time to save some $ and find just the right C4.
Old 09-16-2012, 11:44 PM
corvetteronw
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 247 Likes on 200 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Get a copy of the newest Dec '12 Corvette Magazine. They have a good article on what Corvette to buy for under $10,000 with several good tips.
Living in Ontario you will have to deal with snowy/icy roads from late December through mid March so you probably should use mass transit during those months.
You can drive the car in snow with some restraint but soing so will make the undercarriage and engine compartment look nasty.
Take a look at the Detroit Metro Craigslist for some decent buys. When you find a likely candidate have someone who knows C4s go look at it with you.
I say go for it! You will be making memories to last a lifetime.
Check out this one. It is in fact the very car that is featured in the above-mentioned Corvette Magazine article! Talk about a small world.
http://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/cto/3268011385.html
Old 09-17-2012, 12:16 AM
PLRX
Team Owner

Received 501 Likes on 342 Posts
Co-winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C4 of Year
2016 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Is it snowing?
Old 09-17-2012, 09:40 AM
Peabrain
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the response everyone!

92Ragtop: Like I mentioned before I have my license, I have been driving my parents car when I need to since I was 16, so I already have many miles under my belt, crashing the car isnt a worry at all. I am very confident in my driving abilities but I understand your concern.

Jesters94: I absoultely agree with finding one that has been babied. And I'm glad to know Im not the only one!

Corvetteronw: Im gonna have to check out that article, thanks for the heads up. And yes, I dont plan on driving it in the winter, it would be garaged. Love the yellow on that vette but that milage is rather high I feel, even though the price reflects that.

PLRX: It is not snowing in Toronto yet. Its actually really warm right now, but its starting to cool down pretty rapidily as the weeks progress closer to October
Old 09-17-2012, 10:04 AM
markKlein
Melting Slicks

Received 105 Likes on 90 Posts

Sounds like a great fit to me. Take transit most of the time, and use the Vette for weekend/pleasure trips.

Get notified of new replies

To Intro and Question

Quick Reply: Intro and Question