Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2012, 03:49 PM
ckwhite
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
I decided the same thing once

10 yrs 2 paint shops 3 rearends motors trannies and 80k later I can finally drive it ....
$80K????!! Holy cats! Hope that doesn't happen to me! Mine drives great, now; the BIG bucks will be the body and paint. When it's all done, I'm guessing I'll have >$20K in my $3,500 car. (LOL)
Old 09-08-2012, 03:52 PM
gunnerjuju
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts

Not daily driver but I driver it as often as I can. Just in the last 2 weeks I've out over 800 miles.
Old 09-08-2012, 04:32 PM
anciano
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Your question reminds me of an old line about Harley-Davidson motorcycles: "Eighty percent of all Harleys ever manufactured are still on the road. The other 20 percent made it home."
Old 09-08-2012, 04:54 PM
Frizlefrak
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by anciano
Your question reminds me of an old line about Harley-Davidson motorcycles: "Eighty percent of all Harleys ever manufactured are still on the road. The other 20 percent made it home."
Old 09-08-2012, 05:04 PM
S.D.M.F
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ouch! That's a harsh line about Harleys. I guess some lines catch on for a reason. That did remind me of a time I was driving home after work and seen a C4 broke down on the side of the road. I pulled over to see if the driver needed any help. He had already called AAA and said they were sending a flatbed over. I stuck around until the flatbed arrived. We talked about the our cars. At the time I had an '84 he had a clean looking '91. I know I really didn't do anything but I know how bad it sucks just waiting around stuck on the side of the road by yourself.
Old 09-08-2012, 05:53 PM
AirForceOne!
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I drive mine as often as the weather permits too! I work 4 on 4 off, so I get to drive mine a little more than just the common weekender!
Old 09-08-2012, 06:20 PM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

Originally Posted by WW7
When I bought my 89 is was in pretty sad shape.. The only thing that actually looked good was the paint...After all new interior, new engine, new trans, whole new suspension, and replacing anything else that looked original, I now consider my car to be in excellent shape.. And I only had to spend $22,000 to do it.....I must be a fool.....WW
This is the price to restore. Now when you see that beautiful low mileage original with an asking price in the mid twenties, don't knock it.
Old 09-08-2012, 06:55 PM
BigRedPig
Advanced

While only owning mine for a very limited period of time (around 2 months), I've seemed to notice the same thing. I see a handful of c5 and c6 vettes a week, and maybe only another c4 every two weeks.

Mine though, she's a daily driver. Picked her up with 43,000 miles and have put near 3,000 more on her in the last 2 months. She was kind during the Michigan to Arizona trip, to say the least .
Old 09-08-2012, 08:56 PM
Hephaestus
Instructor

I bought my low mileage '95 (7500 miles) last year and now have about 15k on it. It's been great! I drive it daily to work when the weather is nice, and that means I drive it quite a bit.

I don't mind driving it daily to work because I work on an AFB, so there's no worries about people messing with it while I'm on the job... I have NO regrets buying it. I look forward to the drive every day!
Old 09-08-2012, 10:38 PM
RollaMo-LT4
Race Director

Received 142 Likes on 117 Posts
2021 C4 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

On that note, we just made it home about 15 minutes ago.
Took the Harley and went to Branson, MO (Silver Dollar City) for the day.
About a 300 mile round trip.

Yep, did it on the Harley.

By the way, I saw 4 C4's on the road today.
Old 09-09-2012, 12:18 AM
S.D.M.F
Pro

Originally Posted by RollaMo-LT4
By the way, I saw 4 C4's on the road today.
Nice! I don't think I'll be seeing many "weekend cars" around here anytime soon. It won't quit freaking raining. I normally don't mind a little rain, but every other day is ridiculous.
Old 09-09-2012, 01:59 AM
Frizlefrak
Race Director

Move out here. You'll appreciate rain more than you can ever imagine.

It's rained the last two days....I love it. But it has kept the Vette in the garage. They melt in the rain, you know.
Old 09-09-2012, 07:54 AM
jim spitzer
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

I put 6,000 miles on my car in the last year. I even let it stay outside. In fact its outside now and we have a bad storm that poped up overnite. I now have 34,800 miles on it. I wonder if the dealer will forget about time and honor my 36,000 mile warranty. LOL.
I drive mine 3 days a week. I'm off work Fri. Sat. and Sun. Now sometimes my 17 year old takes it to school. (I dont know why he wants to do that) But he is a safe driver and I have a comfort level with him. He's in the 12 grade and also a full time college student. He wants his AS before he finishes high school.
Old 09-09-2012, 07:58 AM
blr33439
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

I drive mine every chance I get. Most of the time I am changing something so it sits in the garage. I spent the last couple years designing my headlights. Now it is time for some bodywork and paint. Then I may focus on interior upgrades. C4s are not new and therefore many require a lot of upkeep.
Old 09-09-2012, 08:37 AM
S.D.M.F
Pro

Originally Posted by blr33439
I drive mine every chance I get. Most of the time I am changing something so it sits in the garage. I spent the last couple years designing my headlights. Now it is time for some bodywork and paint. Then I may focus on interior upgrades. C4s are not new and therefore many require a lot of upkeep.
I used to keep up with your thread on the design process of those lights, then I got caught up in the O.T section of the forum.

I have tip my hat to you sir for taking the time to design and actually create a product not only for yourself but for everyone else to enjoy. I'll be honest when I first seen them I was a little iffy on the styling, but the more I see the lights on other peoples' cars I start to like them a little more. Heck I may end up buying a set from you whenever my headlight motors quit working.

That is a very good looking C4 you've got there.
Old 09-09-2012, 08:42 AM
CHARGED UP
Racer

St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by S.D.M.F
I don't know if it's just the area I live in or other reasons. On average I see maybe 1 or 2 C4s a month versus a handful of C5/C6s in just a week. I know as far as production numbers go the C4 is out numbered by only the C3. Anyone got any ideas on this?
Main reason is bumper to bumper traffic daily and secondary is lack of room . Weekends, holidays and an occasional evening blast have just worked better for me . I think this is true for all vets.
Old 09-09-2012, 09:28 AM
Chris44m
Drifting

Received 323 Likes on 213 Posts
2021 C4 of the Year - Modified Finalist

I dont see to many C-4's on the road either, and the ones i do, are usually the same vettes i see all the time.

I've now owned my 89 convertible for over 5 years...and admit I drive the car less every year... I have put a couple hundred bucks in the car...water pump..oil sending unit...and a few O2 sensors...and its run fairly well for years...

This year the car has injector problems..and i havent got that fixed yet.. probably due to the ethenol additive...so I havent driven it at all this summer...

I plan on ordering the new injectors this fall and installing them..at my leisure..but for the money spent this car has been a great weekend warrior for many yrs.

I dont ever plan on getting rid of it....and i am hard pressed to figure out how in the world i could possibly spend $20,000 bucks to restore the thing?

The price of a BRAND NEW turn key TPI engine is a mere 7k?? and interior can be done for a couple grand...and thats almost everything new?

refurbished rims...125 a piece down in Carlisle?? and Id pretty much have a brand new vette? other than a few blemishes the cars a fairly nice 20 ft car..

The dollars I see mentioned to re-do these cars seems a bit on the high side.... ?

C

Get notified of new replies

To Why aren't there more C4s on the road?

Old 09-09-2012, 09:54 AM
S.D.M.F
Pro

If someone plans on keeping their car for many,many years then spending $20k to restore it is completely justified.I know some people would say "you can go buy a brand new or newer car for that much money". Personally I don't see what difference it matters whether someone buys new as possible or buys and restores. If they like what they have then that's all that matters.

My C4 isn't any where near perfect, my driver side muffler fell off due to rust and a bump in the road a couple of days ago. This October will be a year of owning it and I have replaced the radiator and had the transmission rebuilt. Hated to spend the money but its the best daily driver I've ever had. I just love the way it feels on the road. It makes the morning drive to work so much better.

And of course there are times when you just have to count your losses then get rid of the car all together. That was the case when I had with '84 Vette. It seemed like the more money I put into it the worse it got.
Old 09-09-2012, 05:49 PM
urbie4
1st Gear

I drive mine a lot. It's a '96, and I inherited it from my Mom, who died in 2008 after driving the 'Vette 'til she was 77. (As a result, it's got a few paint dings and so forth, from when she'd trade paint with the garage doorway on the way in and out -- hey, at least she could still drive!). After that, it sat in the garage for 4-5 years, probably not driven at all and started rarely, if ever. So there were quite a few "issues," shall we say, when I put it back on the road about a year ago. However, they're pretty much worked out now, and it's running well.

I don't drive it in snow, but if it's raining, we simply engage the wipers and press on!

Urb

Last edited by urbie4; 09-09-2012 at 05:59 PM.
Old 09-09-2012, 05:56 PM
Frizlefrak
Race Director

OK, hadn't seen one in a few weeks....today on the 601 Freeway....a faded red ...... pink would be more accurate.....'84 or '85 (no center brake light, black wheel centers) was bouncing down the road. I say bouncing, because what was left of his rear shocks had retired some time ago, and on every expansion joint, he was being treated to 4-5 vertical thrusts

Even a $20 set of Gabriel shocks would have been a blessing for this poor thing. It was almost comical.

Quick Reply: Why aren't there more C4s on the road?