'96 HVAC Access

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 01:22 AM
BigRedPig
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '96 HVAC Access

Hi all,

I just purchased my car a few months ago and have run into the dreaded HVAC problems that plague the 1996 Vettes. Actually, the problem was present upon purchase but didn't bother me until I drove it out to school here in sunny Arizona. Although I'm new to the forums, I did my research on how to fix it; coming to the conclusion that the soft rubber hoses on the HVAC unit that collapse under vacuum need to be cut back a bit to alleviate the problem (or so that's what I'm led to believe). My own problem arose when I removed the lower dash to get to the "box." I got the dash off, but the dang mood lighting didn't want to come out for the life of it. My question (albeit slightly stupid) to you knowledge guru's is this: to take the lighting out, do I just need to apply more force (for I was afraid of breaking the older plastic)? If the inevitable end is that I need to break the light to get under there, is there somewhere to get a replacement. Thanks in advance for the help, and please chime in if my methodology on the original problem is off-base.
Old 09-08-2012, 08:47 PM
LannyL81
Melting Slicks

Received 106 Likes on 71 Posts

First off...welcome to the world of 96 CEs.

Now best thing to do is to remove the connector on the back of the lite. And remove the two screws holding the OBDII connector and slide it through the opening.
Be sure to remove the two torqx screws on the end of the panel that faces the door.

Where in Arizona are you? If in Tucson going to UofA....you could always bring your car over and we can take care of this little ole problem. I have very small TFE tubing that fits inside the soft rubber ends in the vacuum connector that takes care of this problem once and for all. Have done the repair to two '96's.

Oh and just in case you do not know...the really hard part is yet to come....getting the vacuum connector unmated.

Have fun.
Old 09-09-2012, 12:12 AM
Silver96ce
Drifting

Received 60 Likes on 53 Posts

I found the easiest way to remove the connector on the HVAC programmer was to use a set of long reach long nose pliers. I just reached up grabbed the connector on the sides and wriggled it off in a few seconds.
Old 09-09-2012, 11:52 PM
BigRedPig
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LannyL81
First off...welcome to the world of 96 CEs.

Now best thing to do is to remove the connector on the back of the lite. And remove the two screws holding the OBDII connector and slide it through the opening.
Be sure to remove the two torqx screws on the end of the panel that faces the door.

Where in Arizona are you? If in Tucson going to UofA....you could always bring your car over and we can take care of this little ole problem. I have very small TFE tubing that fits inside the soft rubber ends in the vacuum connector that takes care of this problem once and for all. Have done the repair to two '96's.

Oh and just in case you do not know...the really hard part is yet to come....getting the vacuum connector unmated.

Have fun.
Alright, I'll try that tomorrow then. It just seemed that the connector on the back of the light was old, and brittle. Guess I just have to apply the proper pressure. Unfortunately for me, I'm up here in Tempe going to ASU for my sophomore year. Something about a c4 daily driver completely self-funded makes me happy to drive to class every day even without the top vent . Oh well, soon enough I'll have it fixed.

Thanks for the advice too Silver96ce, I'll remember that when I get back there.

Get notified of new replies

To '96 HVAC Access

Quick Reply: '96 HVAC Access