C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Oil Leak

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2012, 08:42 PM
mrvideosawyer
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default oil leak

all back together and started on first crank - the Corvette God was good to me -

Jim "thank goodness that's over" Sawyer
Old 09-28-2012, 10:28 PM
mrvideosawyer
Advanced

Okay got the car to start and run on first crank but how do I reset service engine light now? (light came on when car was dying from oil satuation of opti spark) Everything has been replaced so I should be good to go - excapt for light comming on
Old 09-29-2012, 02:00 AM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Received 1,771 Likes on 1,066 Posts

Originally Posted by mrvideosawyer
Okay got the car to start and run on first crank but how do I reset service engine light now? (light came on when car was dying from oil satuation of opti spark) Everything has been replaced so I should be good to go - excapt for light comming on
Assuming the battery was disconnected during the recent repair, that would have cleared the codes and no light should be present. Did you try to start the car before you had all the sensors/wires reconnected? If not, you have a new code or codes that you need to retrieve and trouble-shoot.
Old 09-29-2012, 11:54 AM
mrvideosawyer
Advanced

Default oil leak

ooops,

My bad - I DID not take off battery while doing repairs - I know, I know should of, would of, could of - but I did not disconnect battery.

On another note, before I started car, ALL wires hoses etc. were hooked up - with no parts left on bench. The service engine light came on BEFORE I started repairs when car was sputtering and finaly not working on side of road. So I think it is a code that was stored BEFORE Corvette engine tear down 101 started.

Is there a way to just clear codes and start fresh. I saw on forum if I disconect battery and turn on headlight switch (?) it would clear codes. I gave trhat a whirl to no avail.

Thanks in advance for ANY input.

Jim "service engine soon" Sawyer
Old 09-30-2012, 11:23 AM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by mrvideosawyer
ooops,

My bad - I DID not take off battery while doing repairs - I know, I know should of, would of, could of - but I did not disconnect battery.

On another note, before I started car, ALL wires hoses etc. were hooked up - with no parts left on bench. The service engine light came on BEFORE I started repairs when car was sputtering and finaly not working on side of road. So I think it is a code that was stored BEFORE Corvette engine tear down 101 started.

Is there a way to just clear codes and start fresh. I saw on forum if I disconect battery and turn on headlight switch (?) it would clear codes. I gave trhat a whirl to no avail.

Thanks in advance for ANY input.

Jim "service engine soon" Sawyer
Just pull the PCM fuse and that'll clear the codes. You can also clear them via by grounding the correct pins in the Diagnostic Connector (don't recall which ones off the top of my head, but it's been posted many times) and then paging through the menu using the Fuel / Gauges keys. Module 4.0 is the PCM. Lastly, you can also clear them by disconnecting the battery...although that takes your radio and clock settings out as well. I'd just pull the fuse in the main fuse panel (passenger side of the dash board).
Old 10-01-2012, 07:47 PM
LannyL81
Melting Slicks

Received 106 Likes on 71 Posts

Disconnecting the battery will not work on a '95....you will need to get a OBDI/II code reader/scanner....to reset the PCM. AutoZone and other places will come out to your vehicle, pull the code and clear them...for free.
I ended-up just buying a code scanner off of ebay...have used it many times and on other cars.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:07 PM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by LannyL81
Disconnecting the battery will not work on a '95....you will need to get a OBDI/II code reader/scanner....to reset the PCM. AutoZone and other places will come out to your vehicle, pull the code and clear them...for free.
I ended-up just buying a code scanner off of ebay...have used it many times and on other cars.
Works on every other year, including the OBD II 1996. Kinda doubt they went backwards...
Old 10-27-2012, 12:43 PM
mrvideosawyer
Advanced

Default oil leak

Okay here is the deal - codes cannot be reset by pulling a fuze - not happening. They need to be reset by a obd1 code reader, plain and simple.

I took my car to Speed Secrets in Snohomish Wa and it took Ellis Grove about 2 sec to find the prob. Vacum line lose

JIm Sawyer

Got the car running agin yahoooooo

Quick Reply: Oil Leak