C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Need advise

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2012, 09:44 AM
c-4guy
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need advise

Getting ready to replace the water pump on my 96 LT1, and I am wondering if i should replace the opti rather than maybe have to go back into the same area and do it later. The car has 73000 miles on it and runs fine . Anyone have any advise on this.. I know the opti is expensive , but paying the labor to have almost the same thing done again is expensive as well.. Thanks
Old 08-17-2012, 12:41 PM
IndyTim
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Unless the water pump really took a dump on the opti, I would leave it alone. It seems quite the challenge to find good opti-sparks for the 96 anymore. I believe I would change the plug wires, though.
Old 08-17-2012, 12:42 PM
Motsiv2
Racer

Personally, I would. I had the opposite experience. The Opti went out at 55,000 miles, so I changed the water pump at the same time.
Old 08-17-2012, 01:01 PM
zr1fred
Race Director

Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by IndyTim
Unless the water pump really took a dump on the opti, I would leave it alone. It seems quite the challenge to find good opti-sparks for the 96 anymore. I believe I would change the plug wires, though.
Old 08-17-2012, 01:42 PM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Received 1,766 Likes on 1,063 Posts

Originally Posted by zr1fred
Old 08-17-2012, 10:37 PM
'94 torchred
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by c-4guy
Getting ready to replace the water pump on my 96 LT1, and I am wondering if i should replace the opti rather than maybe have to go back into the same area and do it later. The car has 73000 miles on it and runs fine . Anyone have any advise on this.. I know the opti is expensive , but paying the labor to have almost the same thing done again is expensive as well.. Thanks

Had my '94 (53k) in for possible coolant leak. Found bad water pump. Chevy guy suggested replace Opti while in there and avoid same labor costs later. Went for it ........ runs great; no regrets. P.S. Replacement was AC Delco Opti which from what I have learned is still not vented. There is a replacement Opti that is discussed on this site that is vented. I just did not have the time to pursue that idea. Good luck.
Old 08-17-2012, 11:13 PM
Klondike
Race Director

Received 110 Likes on 89 Posts

You can just replace the cap and rotor if the opti still runs OK and you'll save a bunch of money. 70 K on the rotor & cap is a lot of high voltage rotations in there, but If the electronics are OK, you don't need to replace the whole thing. Taking the cap off you can see what the rotor and cap terminals look like for wear, and see if there is any crudd down inside the Opti without having to remove it from the front of the engine.
P.S. you can get a vented cap and hoses to replace your non vented cap, it'll fit.
Old 08-18-2012, 04:20 AM
tahoemedic
Instructor

If it ain't broke, don't fix it! 94-newer optis are vented and don't wear out due to condensation like the earlier models so unless there is physical damage to the coil/plug wire connections or the optical disc, leave it alone. Also to avoid any chance of flooding it during your wp swap, drain the coolant down low, remove the knock sensors and drain into a clean pan if you plan to reuse your coolant.

Get notified of new replies

To Need advise

Quick Reply: Need advise