Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

serious discussion on hood vents

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 02:06 AM
mazdaverx7
Le Mans Master

Received 558 Likes on 399 Posts

my 84 came with hood vents. previous owner said he could see the heat radiating out of the vents while stopped in traffic and that they seriously cut down on under hood temps:

they are directly over the wheel well protectors and cannot be seen once the hood is raised:

Old 08-13-2013, 03:42 AM
gerardvg
Melting Slicks

Received 188 Likes on 169 Posts

You have to be careful you do not become a police magnet, most countries have laws against vents or holes cut out of the hood.
If you get an oil leak be it transmission or engine oil the windshield will be covered in oil, that is a safety issue not to mention any fumes that can be sucked into the car.
That is why turbo scoops are sealed and face to the front of the car so there is no risk of anything being sprayed onto the windshield.
Old 08-13-2013, 09:22 AM
Midnight 85
Le Mans Master

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified

Originally Posted by gerardvg
You have to be careful you do not become a police magnet, most countries have laws against vents or holes cut out of the hood.
If you get an oil leak be it transmission or engine oil the windshield will be covered in oil, that is a safety issue not to mention any fumes that can be sucked into the car.
That is why turbo scoops are sealed and face to the front of the car so there is no risk of anything being sprayed onto the windshield.
You become a police magnet the minute you climb into a Corvette.
Old 04-22-2014, 05:50 PM
KentsOkay
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anybody have a good under hood shot of what the drip trays look like? I'm thinking of picking up some cheap fleabay vents then modify them to my purpose. I was going to use a infrared thermometer to try and figure out the best placement on the hood (insert vent where the most obvious hotspot is?). I just know I don't want to be dumping water on my ECU

Looking for function AND form here.

Quick Reply: serious discussion on hood vents