Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ Vendor Directory
Search
C4 General Discussion
General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!

Corvette Store

C7 Parts & Accessories
C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
C4 Parts & Accessories
C3 Parts & Accessories
C2 Parts & Accessories
C1 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads

Vendor Directory

Old 08-09-2012, 11:53 PM   #1
mazdaverx7
CF Senior Member

Dave Jones mazdaverx7
Default LT1 runs, but runs rough..

on my 94 6spd coupe, i originally was led to believe the opti spark unit was bad, so i replaced it. the engine did not run and after some trial and error, i replaced the ICM and the engine fired right up! its running a little rough and feels slightly down on power under acceleration. it has a solid idle but i can tell that there is a miss. the right side converter was glowing almost white and then after sitting for a minute with the engine off, glowing red after my first test drive. i have not checked the timing and did not check for crossed plug wires as i have to be up at 5am for work and its late, lol. any ideas other than timing or crossed wires as to why the engine may run rough and cause the right converter to glow white?
mazdaverx7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 02:43 PM   #2
stag15m4

The converter converts unburned hydrocarbons, so I would think that a spark plug is not firing correctly. It may even be cracked porcelain that causes the plug to arc prior to sparking in the combustion chamber.

The plugs are just a guess. I'm not a mechanic, but it makes sense to me.. The catalytic converter is working too hard and getting super hot. Either there is a cylinder that is not firing or the converter is stopped up.
stag15m4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 04:18 PM   #3
sailorsteve
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Any codes?
sailorsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 08:54 PM   #4
93Rubie
CF Senior Member

You have a miss fire fix it before you damage the cats (causing other problems). That raw unburnt fuel is overheating the cats, which can and will cause them to melt down, creating a potential blockage.

Spark checkers are cheap. Inline off the coil and at every plug wire. If all ok, and good strong spark there. You may have bad plugs.
93Rubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 09:17 PM   #5
mazdaverx7
CF Senior Member

Dave Jones mazdaverx7

the issue after i got the engine started ended up being crossed plug wires on the opti. i took the time to replace the plugs and wires on the right side of the engine and the engine started and ran perfectly! i hope to get to the left side of the engine and replace the plugs and wires on that side as well. gotta figure out how to get to the wires on the opti on the left side of the engine..today was my first real drive in my new 94 and i can tell you its one hell of an AWESOME car!!! what an improvement over my 84! now, if the clutch weren't slipping, i could really feel how well the car accelerates!
Old 08-10-2012, 09:31 PM   #6
Frizlefrak
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazdaverx7 View Post
today was my first real drive in my new 94 and i can tell you its one hell of an AWESOME car!!! what an improvement over my 84! now, if the clutch weren't slipping, i could really feel how well the car accelerates!
Yeah...I went from an 84 to a 95. Felt the same to 4K rpm....after that, the LT1 is like night and day difference. Fix the damn clutch and enjoy the thing.
Frizlefrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 09:35 PM   #7
mazdaverx7
CF Senior Member

Dave Jones mazdaverx7

gonna have to research to find the best clutch at a reasonable price. i don't want to cheap out and risk shattering the friction surface on a cheap disc during some spirited driving..
Old 08-10-2012, 09:35 PM

Go Back   Corvette Forum > C4 Corvettes, 1984 - 1996 > C4 General Discussion
Reload this Page LT1 runs, but runs rough..