C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Gauging interest: C4 carbon fiber hood

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 09:00 PM
95wht6spd
Le Mans Master

Received 271 Likes on 211 Posts

Default Gauging interest: C4 carbon fiber hood

I contacted Quick Z06 from Corvette Creationz (Forum vendor) who makes a lot of body parts for C5/6s about doing a CF hood for a C4. He said he has thought about it before, but would need a hood for measurements etc. to make a mold. His other products are pretty reasonably priced, compared to a lot of others with similar products.

Our hoods weigh around 75#s, and I figure a CF version would only be about 25#s (also since high on car, would lower CG). Plus you could leave unpainted or some spots unpainted for a more modern look.

There are only a few out there now and they are very expensive, and/or race versions (no underside attachments etc.)
I was thinking it would be nice to have some top side louvers on each side of hood too, for heat extraction, like the one's Greenwood offers.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-g...ood-vents.html

I really like the Sledgehammer style vents that cut downward on the 1st page of above link.

Or something like these:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-g...-racing-2.html

Anyway, how many people would be interested in something like this if it was reasonably priced? What would you be willing to pay?

Vote here: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-p...like-best.html

Last edited by 95wht6spd; 08-13-2012 at 01:12 PM. Reason: added poll link
Old 08-08-2012, 09:13 PM
Impala Balko
Melting Slicks

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Exotic muscle makes one for the street and race and you can get it stock setup or raised cowl... They claim it weighs 28.5 lbs for $2,500 for the street version.

http://emracingcorp.com/scripts/prod...?idproduct=477
Old 08-09-2012, 01:56 AM
0Quik Z06
Former Vendor

Received 411 Likes on 280 Posts

Hey guys. As mentioned I had thought about doing some stuff for the C4, but I will admit, I don't know much about them. We can get a hood made if there is interest for them. For comparison (and I do know that the C4 hoods are huge) but most of our hoods are in the $6-800 range in carbon. If we did make one it would be available in carbon and fiberglass. I would just need to know what style was wanted and if anyone has a spare hood we could use for the mold. What I normally do for someone willing to give me a hood, is once we get the first piece produced I would give them the first hood we make in carbon for free.

Here's a few pictures of other hoods we make.

Old 08-09-2012, 02:58 AM
professorX
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that last silver c-5 hood would look sick on a c-4 application and in all honesty 6-800$ is resonable. I see aftermarket camaro hoods going for that price.
Old 08-09-2012, 09:00 AM
RedLS1GTO
Race Director

Received 42 Likes on 9 Posts

I've worked with carbon fiber in the past and $600-$800 seems awfully low for a good quality piece that large.

I am not knocking your product in the least. I have never even seen one in person and am most definitely NOT going to criticize something that I don't have first hand knowledge of.

All carbon fiber is not equal as I'm sure you know. All you have to do is look at a wavy, yellowed, flimsy, junk looking rice rocket hood on a Civic compared to the roof of the new ZR1 to see that first hand.

The original question...

What would you be willing to pay?
...depends entirely on the quality of the product received. There are some hoods out there that are easily worth the multiple thousand dollar price tag and some that aren't worth $50.

In your case, what materials/processes are you using? Some additional info would go a long way towards folks being able to make an informed decision.

Again, since people here seem to be touchy from time to time, I am not at all knocking this company. I am asking since I have never seen any of their products and would like to have the relevant information before commenting.
Old 08-09-2012, 09:04 AM
LilR3dCorvette
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St: Jude Donor '10

Pending answers to several questions rolling around in my head (would the CF be clear-coated? would we need hood pins/need to drill for hood pins? etc), I would be interested in one for my '89 track vette.
Old 08-09-2012, 11:51 AM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

I'll take a high rise version.
Old 08-09-2012, 01:04 PM
miker2
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 383vett
I'll take a high rise version.
me too. want room for a magnacharger on the lq4.
Old 08-10-2012, 10:28 AM
rickyrj1
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I know of several C4 ZR-1 guys who would be down for a CF hood. I beleive if you can stay within the 1k price range give or take a few $ guys could justify the desire to have a killer lookin hood
Old 08-10-2012, 12:02 PM
95wht6spd
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by rickyrj1
I know of several C4 ZR-1 guys who would be down for a CF hood. I beleive if you can stay within the 1k price range give or take a few $ guys could justify the desire to have a killer lookin hood
Old 08-10-2012, 01:41 PM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

I beleive if you can stay within the 1k price range give or take a few $ guys could justify the desire to have a killer lookin hood

I would go for a a 2" rise and would probably paint the hood but leave a carbon stripe in the center and underside exposed. I will bring you my hood right now for a free one. Anyone traveling from Texas to CA with enought trunk space let me know please.
I think you should also look into refurbishing Targa tops with carbon fiber inserts.

Last edited by ch@0s; 08-10-2012 at 01:46 PM.
Old 08-10-2012, 04:26 PM
MarkBychowski
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by ch@0s
I think you should also look into refurbishing Targa tops with carbon fiber inserts.
Not to hijack, but I'd be all over that! I even have two cracked tops with good frames I'd be happy to send over
Old 08-10-2012, 05:16 PM
Calderone
Le Mans Master

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

For that kind of weight savings and price i'm all for it ! i would like a stock style
that i can paint body color later.
Old 08-10-2012, 06:46 PM
Lupo
Navigator

My fiance says I need to wait until I finish college to buy my C4 (another year), but I would defintely be interested in with vents for around 1K
Old 08-10-2012, 06:58 PM
0Quik Z06
Former Vendor

Hey guys, sorry for the late reply. I'll just be straight forward with you guys. The manufacturer I use makes decent quality parts. Im not saying they are high end, but they aren't bottom of the barrel either, which is why we can keep our prices reasonable. What I do with them is make sure though that whenever a part is produced it's to my satisfaction. I don't let them make a part and say here that it were done with it. If I need to get stuff made over we get it done. I've been a vendor on here for several years and have sold a lot of carbon parts over the years and have a lot of happy customers. We can really make any style you guys want (high rise with vents etc) It would just need to be something the majority wants. I can also get stuff wrapped in carbon, but the company I use for that does make high end stuff so it's not cheap. I say that because someone mentioned getting a top wrapped in carbon. For something like that you'd be looking at $1K.

To give you an idea here are a few other pictures of stuff we make in carbon.

Old 08-10-2012, 08:05 PM
LT5corsa
1994 Admiral Blue ZZZZZR1
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 97 Likes on 41 Posts
Northeast Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

If you could do $1k shipped, I can think of MANY Z owners (including myself) that would be interested!

Sending you a PM!

David
Old 08-10-2012, 08:54 PM
Impala Balko
Melting Slicks

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Id like a stock style c4 hood especially for $1,000.... Is there anything else you can make possibly genders (gill pannels), mirrors or the mirror deflectors, GS flares, Corvette bumper letter inserts, or interior trim.

Last edited by Impala Balko; 08-10-2012 at 09:03 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Gauging interest: C4 carbon fiber hood

Old 08-10-2012, 09:13 PM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

I wasn't talking about getting the top wrapped in carbon. I was talking about replacing the Lexan insert with a carbon fiber insert. Removing the Lexan from the frame and replacing it with CF.
Old 08-10-2012, 11:08 PM
95wht6spd
Le Mans Master

I wasn't talking about getting the top wrapped in carbon. I was talking about replacing the Lexan insert with a carbon fiber insert. Removing the Lexan from the frame and replacing it with CF.
For that I would just use di-noc CF look overlay. Some of the C5 guys have done it to their tops and it looks good and low cost.
Old 08-11-2012, 01:43 AM
0Quik Z06
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Impala Balko
Id like a stock style c4 hood especially for $1,000.... Is there anything else you can make possibly genders (gill pannels), mirrors or the mirror deflectors, GS flares, Corvette bumper letter inserts, or interior trim.
We can pretty much make anything in carbon and fiberglass.

They can do that as well, but it's a bit more expensive.

Quick Reply: Gauging interest: C4 carbon fiber hood