Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Aloha from a noobie in the Sandwich Islands ...

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 10:09 AM
hismiths
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aloha from a noobie in the Sandwich Islands ...

Recently purchased (rescured?) a '95 coupe that has been sitting under a mango tree in Holualoa, Kona, HI. Am new to the 'Vette, both car and culture, so please treat a noobie nice. I confess to never having had the hots for a Corvette, except that I HAVE lusted for a '54 Blue Flame six model since they were new. This car was in obvious need of rescue, and the price was certainly right, so I flew in the face of logic (and my long-suffering spouse's better judgement) and bought it on the spot.

In addition to our usual rain and brutal sun, the cockroaches and geckos have been lunching on the westherstripping. I am assuming it needs all the window and glass top rubber replaces, windshield seems fine.

Other 'wants' are a latch clip for the PAX side hood latch, and headlight actuator kits (the headlights go berserk when you turn the car on, but can't rise to the occasion). Also looking for a reasonably priced used or 'fill the hole' radio stack as the car was looted when it was parked. Don't need a tape deck, CD player would be nice, but not high on priority.

I don't know the value in attempting to keep this car authentic and historically accurate. I subscribe to the Russian proverb P"erfection is the enemy of good enough", and just want a fun island cruiser. Curious as to how to tackle scabby wheels, no serious oxidation, but scruffy and clearcoat peeling/discolored ... it DOES have all four center caps tho' ... yay! Also the glass top is solid but crazed.

I'm no stranger to messing about with cars and trucks, and have rebuilt and flown a couple of small planes, so I'm sorta confident that I can ressurect this car, with the help of those who have been before. I'll post some pics when I'm off portable device.
Old 08-14-2012, 02:33 PM
TTA579
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hismiths
Recently purchased (rescured?) a '95 coupe that has been sitting under a mango tree in Holualoa, Kona, HI. Am new to the 'Vette, both car and culture, so please treat a noobie nice. I confess to never having had the hots for a Corvette, except that I HAVE lusted for a '54 Blue Flame six model since they were new. This car was in obvious need of rescue, and the price was certainly right, so I flew in the face of logic (and my long-suffering spouse's better judgement) and bought it on the spot.

In addition to our usual rain and brutal sun, the cockroaches and geckos have been lunching on the westherstripping. I am assuming it needs all the window and glass top rubber replaces, windshield seems fine.

Other 'wants' are a latch clip for the PAX side hood latch, and headlight actuator kits (the headlights go berserk when you turn the car on, but can't rise to the occasion). Also looking for a reasonably priced used or 'fill the hole' radio stack as the car was looted when it was parked. Don't need a tape deck, CD player would be nice, but not high on priority.

I don't know the value in attempting to keep this car authentic and historically accurate. I subscribe to the Russian proverb P"erfection is the enemy of good enough", and just want a fun island cruiser. Curious as to how to tackle scabby wheels, no serious oxidation, but scruffy and clearcoat peeling/discolored ... it DOES have all four center caps tho' ... yay! Also the glass top is solid but crazed.

I'm no stranger to messing about with cars and trucks, and have rebuilt and flown a couple of small planes, so I'm sorta confident that I can ressurect this car, with the help of those who have been before. I'll post some pics when I'm off portable device.
Aloha! I spend a lot of time on Maui at my parents' place and I wish I had my Corvette every time. Maybe one day I ship it out there if I ever buy a newer one.

I have a good working single DIN Kenwood CD player (with aux input if you have an ipod) with the appropriate mounting bracket for an '89 (not sure if it's compatible with your '95) I'll happily send to you for the price of shipping (from LA). You will still need the wiring harness adapter.

It's a C4, so "restoration value" is pretty low, but rarity of certain vehicles where you live is a wild card in that equation. More importantly should be the "fun" value. Take that targa off and go cruise the beautiful weather.
Old 08-14-2012, 03:00 PM
BlackbirdZ07
Safety Car

Received 199 Likes on 128 Posts

Welcome! Sounds like you have a fun project!

Most of the issues that you list are pretty common C4 issues... the crazing plexiglass top (nothing you can do), the peeling clear coat on the wheels (strip and polish), the disintegrating headlight bushings (rebuild headlight motors- easy afternoon DIY job), and the weatherstrip that starts to deteriorate the minute it leaves the factory (replace with aftermarket). You're right, if you do a search here on the forum you'll find answers and advice on these issues.

If the car originally had the the optional Bose AM/FM/Cassette/CD, it will have special amplified speakers (the capacitors in the amps usually go bad so the amps need to be rebuilt--many people go aftermarket at that point). If it does not have the Bose speakers, I have a base (no CD) 1994-96 radio unit you can have for the cost of shipping.

A couple other general tips: get a factory service manual, it will be money well spent-- check the parts for sale forum (post a WTB) or search ebay. Do NOT clean your engine with a hose-- the optispark distributor does not like to get wet.

There's really no point to keeping it original... just fix it up and have fun with it! I look forward to seeing the pictures. Good luck!
Old 08-14-2012, 03:06 PM
RetiredSFC 97
Team Owner

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10, '14

I wanta see pics
Old 08-14-2012, 03:22 PM
dukeallen
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RetiredSFC 97
I wanta see pics
What he said. And pics of the car too
Old 08-14-2012, 05:58 PM
mrmtrtrnd
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Glad you rescued that 95 and like the others will be looking for pictures.

Old 08-16-2012, 12:21 PM
mtwoolford
Melting Slicks

Received 194 Likes on 180 Posts

get a factory service manual...it will pay for itself many times over.

I don't know about shipping costs to the Sandwich Isles but I typically mail order most everything except for mundane generic chevy stuff I can find at the local parts store.

Before doing (almost) anything research it on this forum and the internet..both are godsends. Also I keep a drawer in my filing cabinet with tech articles and parts sources for those "next" and "someday" projects. On these C4's "research" is (the cheaper by far) half of the battle; it can and will save you thousands of dollars.

As a source of good, down to earth, realistic advice, order a copy
of "101 Projects for Your Corvette 1984-1996" by Richard Newton, published by motorbooks workshop.

And lastly...and I speak from experience..., keep the wife happy. I don't see anything that could make a woman happier than being chauffered around Kona in the evening with the top off, unless of course, she's the one behind the wheel. Having the wife find a diamond tennis bracelet in the console could help a lot too.
Old 08-16-2012, 04:10 PM
Coupe89
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06

Dont know how many times you have to bomb the car but thoses cockroaches are hard to get rid of.

My wifes cousin let us user there van it had roaches in it
I've tried everything... Mabe the Big island roaches arent as strong as the ones in Oahu

Get notified of new replies

To Aloha from a noobie in the Sandwich Islands ...

Quick Reply: Aloha from a noobie in the Sandwich Islands ...