Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Painting My '89 Vette: What's the Problem?

Old 08-05-2012, 09:38 PM
ckwhite
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Painting My '89 Vette: What's the Problem?

My '89 Corvette has been painted more than once, but it was left outside all the time, never waxed, so the paint has faded. I want to have it re-painted, so I took it over to my local paint shop - who did a great paint job on my other car - and asked them to give me an estimate. The owner checked the car over and told mne he "doesn't really want to paint it". He pointed out a few small places where the fiberglass needs some repair (I knew about those), but his main concern was "moisture in the fiberglass that is making the existing paint bubble (he pointed out some tiny, bubble-like blemishes)". Says if he paints it, that "moisture" in the glass may make the new paint bubble, too".

I've never heard of moisture being held in fiberglass, before. It seems to me that if the body gets a proper prep-job - that takes off most of the existing paint, there shouldn't be any problems. What do you think of this "moisture in the fiberglass - bubbles idea"?
Craig
Old 08-05-2012, 10:51 PM
Leftoverture
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't know about the moisture...I do know you need to find another body shop. One that works on Vettes.
Old 08-05-2012, 11:11 PM
ckwhite
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default These Guys....

....have painted a lot of vettes. That's why what they say bothers me. What do they know that I don't? But your suggestion is good - I will try a few other shops.
Old 08-05-2012, 11:12 PM
Kmcoldcars
Melting Slicks

Received 285 Likes on 134 Posts

The litt5le bubbles are from improper prep before painting. The only way to get rid of them is to get the paint off the car. Find another painter who knows how to paint plastic Corvettes as the problem is not "moisture in the fiberglass".
Old 08-05-2012, 11:19 PM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Received 1,663 Likes on 1,023 Posts

Originally Posted by Kmcoldcars
The litt5le bubbles are from improper prep before painting. The only way to get rid of them is to get the paint off the car. Find another painter who knows how to paint plastic Corvettes as the problem is not "moisture in the fiberglass".

Get notified of new replies

To Painting My '89 Vette: What's the Problem?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Painting My '89 Vette: What's the Problem?