Is my 1989 C4 Corvette Really a "Greenwood"/

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 12:52 PM
ckwhite
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Is my 1989 C4 Corvette Really a "Greenwood"/

Seller knew almost nothing about this car, but he did tell me that a previous owner had told him it was a "Greenwood Corvette". It does have non-stock rocker panels and a wing - no front air dam, but are those really Greenwood modifications or did the guy just tack on a couple aftermarket parts? Otherwise, the car is entirely stock. I've checked the Greenwood sites and photos of Greenwood 'vettes and can't come to a conclusion. Could use some input...! (Not sure the pics I posted will load, if not, see my "Garage".

[IMG]http://forums.corvetteforum.com/photopost/showphoto.php/photo/92460/cat/500/ppuser/415497[IMG]

Last edited by ckwhite; 07-13-2012 at 12:54 PM. Reason: add comment about pics
Old 07-13-2012, 02:47 PM
DHobbs
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ckwhite
Seller knew almost nothing about this car, but he did tell me that a previous owner had told him it was a "Greenwood Corvette". It does have non-stock rocker panels and a wing - no front air dam, but are those really Greenwood modifications or did the guy just tack on a couple aftermarket parts? Otherwise, the car is entirely stock. I've checked the Greenwood sites and photos of Greenwood 'vettes and can't come to a conclusion. Could use some input...! (Not sure the pics I posted will load, if not, see my "Garage".

[IMG]http://forums.corvetteforum.com/photopost/showphoto.php/photo/92460/cat/500/ppuser/415497[IMG]
That has the same body kit as my REAL Greenwood. I cant know for sure since i dont think it says greenwood on the spoiler but you can rest to sure yours looks exactly like mine only your stripe makes a big difference.

I have my original window sticker and the original greenwood book and all the cool greenwood things that came with it in 1985

Edit: That is a sweet looking car though!!

Last edited by DHobbs; 07-13-2012 at 02:52 PM.
Old 07-17-2012, 10:24 PM
ckwhite
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Greenwood Sticker? Book?

Gawd. I have nothing like that (Greenwood original sticker OR book). Of course, there was NO owners manual or sticker or ANY information that came with the car. I've sent away to the Corvette Museum for copies of the sticker and build list. Do you think those documents will show whether it's a Greenwood or not (?)
Old 07-18-2012, 09:20 AM
bb62
Safety Car

Received 361 Likes on 216 Posts

Jeez.... No Corvette EVER came with the Greenwood tack-ons from the factory. You will never find the word Greenwood on any widnow sticker or official GM document. The only aftermarket tuner that ever had an official (meaning on the order sheet) relationship with the Corvette is Callaway.
Old 07-18-2012, 10:27 AM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

Greenwood actually did build cars, rather than just supply kits

http://www.greenwoodcorvettes.com/Home.html

Old 07-18-2012, 11:57 AM
bitsa85
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bb62
Jeez.... No Corvette EVER came with the Greenwood tack-ons from the factory. You will never find the word Greenwood on any widnow sticker or official GM document. The only aftermarket tuner that ever had an official (meaning on the order sheet) relationship with the Corvette is Callaway.

There is no such thing as a "Greenwood Edition".The bodykits were purchased and installed aftermarket (ie. there is no Greenwood RPO)
RPO B2K is the Callaway Twin Turbo which is the only GM authorized non factory modification.That being said I like the Greenwood kits and so I installed one on my car but it is not a "Greenwood edition" Vette.
Old 07-18-2012, 12:27 PM
ckwhite
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

OK, so - The thread remains open for input. Some folks say there is a "Greenwood Book" and something on the window sticker, and others who say there's "nothing that says Greenwood on the car and in the paperwork". Another thing I noticed is that some of the Greenwood spoilers have the word Greenwood embossed on the edges and mine don't. I can also buy a trim kit - just like the one I have - with rocker panels and a wing from MAM or Ecklers, online. So, I'm sort of beginning to doubt it really IS a Greenwood. Any more input would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by ckwhite; 07-18-2012 at 12:29 PM. Reason: Grammar
Old 07-18-2012, 02:03 PM
bb62
Safety Car

Received 361 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by ckwhite
OK, so - The thread remains open for input. Some folks say there is a "Greenwood Book" and something on the window sticker, and others who say there's "nothing that says Greenwood on the car and in the paperwork". Another thing I noticed is that some of the Greenwood spoilers have the word Greenwood embossed on the edges and mine don't. I can also buy a trim kit - just like the one I have - with rocker panels and a wing from MAM or Ecklers, online. So, I'm sort of beginning to doubt it really IS a Greenwood. Any more input would be greatly appreciated!
Sounds like you need to do some research into what came with these cars (and what didn't). Here's a website for you to start your quest:

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/...89/89prod.html
Old 07-18-2012, 02:28 PM
Vette Daddy
Le Mans Master

Received 95 Likes on 45 Posts

Purely aftermarket. Never came from BG that way...ever...
Old 07-25-2012, 08:20 AM
Greenwood-Robban
Advanced

You can stop searching for documents etc because that isn´t a Greenwood kit. Most likely your car is equipped with a "knock off" from ACi.

The real genuine Greenwood rearwing ALWAYS have three "legs" to support the wing aswell as the Greenwood text molded into the sides of the wing. It is the same rear wing for both the Aero and Motorsports kit. I believe it has to do with your copyright laws. The ACi wing on your car is a copy of the Greenwood wing but without the "leg" in the middle of the wing. I guess removing that third leg makes it "legal" for ACi to produce because it is not an exact copy of Greenwoods...Correct me if i´m wrong.

As for the side skirts and quarter panels, these are 100% copies of the Greenwood ones. You are missing the fronstspoiler which should be included in the "Aero" kit, but i guess you know that already

Compare your rearwing to mine and you will see what i am talking about with the three legs:

If you have more questions, don´t hesitate. I did research for over two years of finding the genuine original Greenwood parts to import to Sweden for my car and along the way i got very educated about the Greenwood kits and the copies and knock offs that was and is still produced

Anyways, nice to see that you are going to restore it, i am glad for that

/ Robert

Last edited by Greenwood-Robban; 07-25-2012 at 08:23 AM.
Old 07-25-2012, 01:21 PM
ckwhite
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Thanks.....

.....for the information. I had pretty well come to the conclusion that my kit was a knockoff, aftermarket job. You are right. Mine does not have the third wing support, nor does it have the "Greenwood" impression on it. This car has been abused in the past by someone. I think the front air dam was originally installed on the car, but destroyed, later, by some idiot who tried to drive over something too high. When I got the car on the rack, I saw that both the front frame member and oil pan had been dented; therefore, my conclusion about the front dam.
Old 08-07-2012, 11:17 PM
36AUBURN

I just purchased my 3rd Vette in 35 yrs., and I was told that it has Greenwood package by the dealer, but after seeing what the real McCoy looks like, I assume I have a aftermarket package also....Does not matter to me since it looks so great with the package I have on it.

Get notified of new replies

To Is my 1989 C4 Corvette Really a "Greenwood"/

Quick Reply: Is my 1989 C4 Corvette Really a "Greenwood"/