Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Flickering / pulsating digital dash

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 03:29 PM
dukeallen
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad to hear you just had a screw loose!
Old 05-28-2014, 06:39 PM
vslaughter
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am having a similar issue with with the dash lights constantly pulsating. It seems to slowly be getting worse as days go by. It is slightly more noticeable when idling in park and even more noticeable idling in drive. It also feels like I have a slight misfire or hiccup at idle. Every time I press the brake pedal (driving or in park) the dash flickers very dim one time and returns to a lightly pulsating. The same effect you get when you turn on the A/C in your house. Also, this has only happened once, I was driving (at night, 22 mile trip) I was approaching my destination the last couple of times I pressed the brake the headlights and everything got extremely dim and my car almost died. I haven't done any type of diagnostics yet. Here is what I do know....

The in-dash volt meter is reading pretty consistently between 13.7 & 14.3 at all times.
The connections to the battery and alternator are clean and solid.
Old 05-28-2014, 07:04 PM
MyOtherCar
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

finding a bad connector on the negative post was good for you, but I'm pretty sure you were on the right track with the alternator being suspect.

Something about ooutput diodes, what I recollect. Weren't all your lights flickering, tail lights in particular noticeable? You see that occurring at times on a passing auto; all the exterior lights would be flickering.

Alternator, good choice for investigation
Old 05-29-2014, 02:28 PM
eaglevision993
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If all connections are tight, the alternator itself may be the problem.
I would replace the alternator and see if the problem goes away. If not, it might be some ground issue in the dash itself.

But bad alternator diodes are the most common problem causing the flicker.
Old 05-29-2014, 05:11 PM
Smokeysvette
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by eaglevision993
ok, UPDATE and SOLUTION!!!!

Finally after some days I found the time to dig into the matter: I rechecked the battery and alternator again to no avail...

Then I disassembled the digital dash, cleaned it, resoldered everything, added the additional ground wire per batee.com´s instructions and.....nothing....same.

Today I did not plan to work on, just wanted to get something to eat and as I tried to start the engine: totally dead. Everything came on as I put the ignition on but as I went to start the engine every electric device just quit.

No lights, no crank, no dash...

I disconnected the battery and reconnection solves the problem for 2 more cranks then again totally dead while trying to start.

Long story short, I kept a closer look at the battery cables and the negative clamp was the problem. Not the screw that holds it to the battery but the part where the thick cable goes into the clamp itself. The screws were lose!

So the car had an intermittend ground and that is what caused all the problems above!

No more flickering, starts fine, stable voltage.
Problem solved, at least I hope so...

Thanks for all your help and input. At least I now know how the digital dash looks and works inside....

Best regards
Benjamin
Glad your Vette's up and running with no flickering. Funny thing though, mine did the same thing yesterday! mine turned out to be the connection at the alternator. Looking at it,it looked great. But took it apart and cleaned the thick red wire connection and put a little die-electric grease on it as I assembled it back. Now all is well.
Old 06-16-2015, 05:29 PM
LovingMyC4
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by eaglevision993
ok, UPDATE and SOLUTION!!!!

Finally after some days I found the time to dig into the matter: I rechecked the battery and alternator again to no avail...

Then I disassembled the digital dash, cleaned it, resoldered everything, added the additional ground wire per batee.com´s instructions and.....nothing....same.

Today I did not plan to work on, just wanted to get something to eat and as I tried to start the engine: totally dead. Everything came on as I put the ignition on but as I went to start the engine every electric device just quit.

No lights, no crank, no dash...

I disconnected the battery and reconnection solves the problem for 2 more cranks then again totally dead while trying to start.

Long story short, I kept a closer look at the battery cables and the negative clamp was the problem. Not the screw that holds it to the battery but the part where the thick cable goes into the clamp itself. The screws were lose!

So the car had an intermittend ground and that is what caused all the problems above!

No more flickering, starts fine, stable voltage.
Problem solved, at least I hope so...

Thanks for all your help and input. At least I now know how the digital dash looks and works inside....

Best regards
Benjamin
Thank you for posting the solution. My C4 started doing this last night. Once the bad weather has passed I will check my negative terminal. I was worried that my alternator was going out. I will give this a try first
Old 06-17-2015, 12:20 AM
Crossed Flags Fan
Melting Slicks

Received 493 Likes on 276 Posts

^^^ interesting, keep us posted ^^^
Old 06-17-2015, 01:00 AM
DinoBob
Melting Slicks

Received 366 Likes on 207 Posts

Good job.
Old 09-14-2015, 11:37 AM
mc05
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how do you remove cluster 94 c4
Old 09-14-2015, 01:55 PM
tbirdsps
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I've heard told that on the 90-92 L98 vettes that the ground at the distributor can cause it.
Old 09-14-2015, 04:33 PM
Smokeysvette
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by tbirdsps
I've heard told that on the 90-92 L98 vettes that the ground at the distributor can cause it.
Could be true in the 90-91 but in '92 the Corvette went to the LT1 engine.
Old 05-20-2021, 09:12 PM
Jackson007
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1985 Cvette

Originally Posted by sk1faninpa
some times the dash lights will be on,and when it's real hot they are out with the turn signal lights on. then you can be driving and they come on, was thinking of replacing or send it in for repairs. has anybody have the same problems with there dash lights?
My dash lights are doing the same thing. My car is also dieing after driving for 5-10 miles down the road. Starts right back up immediately and idles perfect but wants to act like the engine is about to die again until it acts like the fuel pump has quit. I just replaced the fuel pump.

Quick Reply: Flickering / pulsating digital dash