C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Zaino Power Plus Auto

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 08:23 PM
wmjosjr
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Zaino Power Plus Auto

See post 44 in the attached link. Shows you something about the guy I'm dealing with, Tommy Zaino, Power Plus in Staten Island, NY.

http://www.detailingbliss.com/forum/...uragloss-5.htm

My 2008 C-6 Corvette was in a crash last fall at the racetrack therefore there was no insurance involved. Though I was skeptical about having it repaired, Tom Zaino, who owns Power Plus Auto in Staten Island convinced me that he could do the repairs and even had all the parts needed in his possession. As I soon found out, that was an outright lie. My car was in his shop for 3-1/2 months and no parts ever materialized, only excuses. Yet he took three cash payments from me in the amount of $10,000 within 2 weeks. In my opinion, he lied about the parts just to get the keys and my commitment to do the job. Once the vehicle was dismantled (in spite of me asking him not to do so until he had the parts) he threatened me that my car would sit idle in his shop unless I gave him more money. That was not part of the contract. Since no progress was ever made after all this time, I had no choice but to have the car towed from his shop. I am fighting to get my money back. He even sold one of my rims which was worth $1,100 without consulting with me. My advice to anyone considering this shop is to go somewhere else. This guy will schmooze you to death with one lie after another. I truly believe that he never intended to repair my vehicle. So don't fall for his nice guy persona. I have never done anything like this before but felt so strongly about the unethical dealings of Tom Zaino that I wanted to warn others of his lies and trickery, especially the Corvette family. He was referred to me by a personal friend, so I let my guard down a bit and never expected this to happen.

Last edited by wmjosjr; 06-24-2012 at 11:23 AM. Reason: New link attached.
Old 06-15-2012, 09:12 PM
BigDR
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Theft

Selling your property (rim) is theft. Call the cops or talk to the DA. That is not a civil matter. Put him in cuffs and he will cough up your money or find a way to get it.
Old 06-15-2012, 09:25 PM
zr-1 guy
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

dude musta took business lessons from hennesey
Old 06-15-2012, 09:47 PM
JackDidley
Race Director

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts

Time to lawyer up.
Old 06-15-2012, 10:09 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Sounds like the typical bodyshop loser. Thieves most of them in my opinon. Go after him!!

Thats fraud and theft, buddy!
Old 06-16-2012, 06:04 AM
ZONER-95
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Total Human Scumbag!....go after him.....
Old 06-16-2012, 07:39 AM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

Yep! I've got a sorry C3 in my driveway - rescued from just such a joint here in IL. (Fortunately, it isn't my car, but one belonging to a Corvette brother; sat in the shop for almost 3 years to fix ye ol battery drainng problem. Torn completely apart - cut wires abound! Reminds me of a situation I got tangled up with over a motor, back in the day.)

Not the first time this game as appeared here: take some cash, take the car apart, then ask for more cash (still no work done, aside from dismantling). Then when owner is fed up and tows it off (in pieces) scamer charges huge $$ for labor to dissassemble, AND storage! But, I agree...selling parts off your car...is out and out theft!!

All you may need is a letter from a layer to land in his mailbox that explains "a few things". Also, the DA's office might be interested too. But, what really twists the tail of these kind of rip-off joints is to contact one of those consumer advocates that many local TV stations have. They helped me out one time over a screwing I almost took over a Jeep Cheokee at a dealership with a scumbag service manager.

Good luck. I'm headded out to the driveway today to fix or re-wire (if necessary) my friend's 81 coupe - a casualty of a shop just like the one you are dealing with, apparently.

P.
Old 06-17-2012, 02:36 PM
SunCr
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Even if your insurance policy excludes "racing" it may not exclude theft (and being embezzled over vehicle repairs is a type of theft); so if you have Comprehensive Coverage, report it to your Carrier and let them figure it out. In the interim, file a police report (which is usually required under Comp Coverage).
Old 06-17-2012, 02:43 PM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

I had a 76 camaro When I was a kid. I left it in my Moms driveway because it would not start. It had all new interior rebuilt engine and trans. She though she would be nice and let a guy who offered to fix it take it to his shop. They sold it in peices and when I called the cops it mysteriously diapered and so did the guy they said had stolen stuff out of the car. I found it later at a impound yard. It had been abandoned in a parking lot and the junk yard legally owns it now because I could not afford the storage fees. This is what our laws do.. protect those who know how to abuse it.

Last edited by ch@0s; 06-17-2012 at 02:46 PM.
Old 06-17-2012, 05:10 PM
wmjosjr
Instructor

Originally Posted by zr-1 guy
dude musta took business lessons from hennesey
Thank's. I see you must of had some issues of your own.
Old 06-17-2012, 05:11 PM
wmjosjr
Instructor

Originally Posted by BigDR
Selling your property (rim) is theft. Call the cops or talk to the DA. That is not a civil matter. Put him in cuffs and he will cough up your money or find a way to get it.
Thank you.
Old 06-17-2012, 05:14 PM
wmjosjr
Instructor

Originally Posted by ZONER-95
Total Human Scumbag!....go after him.....
I am thanks, with the help from you guy's.
Old 06-17-2012, 05:17 PM
wmjosjr
Instructor

Originally Posted by Paul Workman
Yep! I've got a sorry C3 in my driveway - rescued from just such a joint here in IL. (Fortunately, it isn't my car, but one belonging to a Corvette brother; sat in the shop for almost 3 years to fix ye ol battery drainng problem. Torn completely apart - cut wires abound! Reminds me of a situation I got tangled up with over a motor, back in the day.)

Not the first time this game as appeared here: take some cash, take the car apart, then ask for more cash (still no work done, aside from dismantling). Then when owner is fed up and tows it off (in pieces) scamer charges huge $$ for labor to dissassemble, AND storage! But, I agree...selling parts off your car...is out and out theft!!

All you may need is a letter from a layer to land in his mailbox that explains "a few things". Also, the DA's office might be interested too. But, what really twists the tail of these kind of rip-off joints is to contact one of those consumer advocates that many local TV stations have. They helped me out one time over a screwing I almost took over a Jeep Cheokee at a dealership with a scumbag service manager.

Good luck. I'm headded out to the driveway today to fix or re-wire (if necessary) my friend's 81 coupe - a casualty of a shop just like the one you are dealing with, apparently.

P.
I see you had your fair share of problems to. Good luck in the future.
Old 06-17-2012, 05:19 PM
wmjosjr
Instructor

Originally Posted by SunCr
Even if your insurance policy excludes "racing" it may not exclude theft (and being embezzled over vehicle repairs is a type of theft); so if you have Comprehensive Coverage, report it to your Carrier and let them figure it out. In the interim, file a police report (which is usually required under Comp Coverage).
Something to look into. Thanks
Old 06-17-2012, 05:20 PM
wmjosjr
Instructor

Originally Posted by ch@0s
I had a 76 camaro When I was a kid. I left it in my Moms driveway because it would not start. It had all new interior rebuilt engine and trans. She though she would be nice and let a guy who offered to fix it take it to his shop. They sold it in peices and when I called the cops it mysteriously diapered and so did the guy they said had stolen stuff out of the car. I found it later at a impound yard. It had been abandoned in a parking lot and the junk yard legally owns it now because I could not afford the storage fees. This is what our laws do.. protect those who know how to abuse it.
I feel your Pain.
Old 06-17-2012, 05:22 PM
wmjosjr
Instructor

Originally Posted by JackDidley
Time to lawyer up.
Thanks.
Old 06-17-2012, 05:26 PM
wmjosjr
Instructor

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
Sounds like the typical bodyshop loser. Thieves most of them in my opinon. Go after him!!

Thats fraud and theft, buddy!
I agree. And I will!

Last edited by wmjosjr; 06-17-2012 at 05:38 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Zaino Power Plus Auto

Old 06-17-2012, 05:31 PM
gunnerjuju
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts

gunnerjuju
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts

Karma & the DA will solve your problems. I feel really bad for you and thank you or the heads up
Old 06-17-2012, 05:38 PM
wmjosjr
Instructor

Originally Posted by gunnerjuju

Quick Reply: Zaino Power Plus Auto