C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Looking for thoughts/opinions on F-Body/Y-Body friendship friction

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2012, 02:00 PM
KYC4
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Looking for thoughts/opinions on F-Body/Y-Body friendship friction

Please pardon me if this is a bit long-winded but I'd appreciate some perspective on this situation. Some of you may recall that I purchased my first Corvette last fall. It's an '84 that needs to be resurrected, if you will.

My friend has always been very partial to the F-Body (as have I) and he in particular has never cared for 'vettes. IF anything there has always been a mild distain to his temperment regarding Zora's baby. And although I like 'vettes my heart has (and is) always stuck on Trans Ams. But the C4 I have seems to have coincided with a change in my outlook on acquiring the TA of my dreams. I've just come to the conclusion that I'd rather enjoy what I have been blessed with rather than pine for something that, in over 20 years of F-Body ownership, has never come to pass. And I am 100% fine with this both in my heart and mind.

As I've poked around my C4 and studied it more and more I have found myself getting very attached to her. It reminds me of a particular TA that I owned and was extremely attached to. It was sitting in a field and was given to me when I had nothing. I was working at a friend's shop and traded labor and time for parts and working on getting it running. Ity was also my (own) first engine rebuild and swap. But I had to sell the car when it was just on the road due to a move my wife and I had to make. This TA was VERY hard to let go of and was the only car I honestly have ever shed tears for when it drove away. The C4 has some eerie similarities and I am more and more liking the challenge ahead of me. IN short, I've become intrinsically attached to my C4.

But, without saying as much, my friend clearly feels that I've somehow 'sold out'. And I get that cruising together while driving F-Bodys, with other F-Body friends, is a fun and unique time. But really should it not be about just having the chance to spend time cruising regardless of whether I'm in an F-Body or a Y-Body? In my mind it is. In my friend's it's obvious that it's not. And I know for him that part of it is the stereotypical view that Corvette owners are good for nothing more than putting gas in and waxing their cars. We've all joked about that once in awhile even amongst ourselves as Corvette owners but we do know better. But beyond this I know my good friend just feels that the F-Body has always gotten the short end of the 'respect' stick and that sticks in his craw pretty hard. And that chip on his F-Body shoulder seems to be taking the polish off of any interest, enthusiasm and support he might have for my C4 resurrection.

So, what's a guy to do here? I could use some honest and thoughtful opinions, folks. It's slowly becoming a painful thorn in sharing our healthy respect for all things GM and may prove to be a devisive point in the enthusiast part of our friendship. And that I cannot fathom especially over something like this.

Sincerely,

Lee

Last edited by KYC4; 06-16-2012 at 02:21 PM.
Old 06-16-2012, 03:16 PM
jsol72
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lee,

I can only speak from my own personal experience. In my case, at 27 years old i am a certifiable car geek. I owned a 1991 Z28 in high school before moving on and restoring a 1972 Ford Bronco. I have a 1971 Superbee in my parents garage (that we will get started on some day!), and am currently enjoying my 1993 Corvette. I have owned Dodge trucks, Chevy trucks, you name it. I too have friends who are very one sided when it comes to vehicles (as it seems alot of people are). They are constantly giving me a hard time when it comes to my cars. They always ask me why i cant be satisfied. My response to them has always been that it is not that i am unsatisfied, but my love and respect for cars (particularly american made V8 muscle/sports cars/trucks) is what drives me to want to try and experience all the cars i drooled over reading about when i was a kid. I have admiration for them all.

I think the thing you need to try to get your friend to realize (unless this is completely off base), is that it isnt that you are selling out; rather trying something different and new. You respect and admiration for the FBodies isnt gone, i can tell. It sounds like there may be a little hint of jealousy on your friend's end; if that is the case that will be a tough thing to make go away; it is what it is. As for the FBodies getting the short end of the stick so to speak; to me that is just the natural order of things. Trans Ams, Camaros; they ARE NOT Corvettes; but nor were they intended to be, and that is not a knock against them in any way, it just is what it is. For me, if owning my '91 Z did anything it forged my respect for them; i love those things. Let's face it, everyone has preferences. But when i see a nice ride, its a nice ride regardless if it is a Corvette, or a Mustang; my car addiction knows no boundaries.

Bottom line though, your friend needs to get over it

Hopefully this all works out for you.

- Jaeson
Old 06-16-2012, 05:53 PM
Jon Hekking
Race Director

Received 241 Likes on 128 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C3 of Year Finalist (stock)

Why do you care what anyone else thinks? I never understood that. Let him have his Trans Ams, if you want another get it. A person is not measured by the car he drives. If they were, we would all be under the control of C6 owners, just ask one
Old 06-16-2012, 08:17 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Is he paying your bills? Who cares, like Jon said.

A sellout....please. Its a Chevy no?

C4s are a lot of bang for the buck

Love Camaros also but they are just too much these days (love the Gen1/2)
Old 06-16-2012, 08:24 PM
Eakster
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 'F-body mate' is the one that put me onto vettes - wasn't even looking at them at the time. He's helped educate me in all things American GM and himself drives a 06 GTO also. He loves F-bodies - sold his LS1 to get the goat but still drives his LT every day. His Dad owns a shop we work in and is all about old Fords. Has a gorgeous early Torino. They introduced me to the Fabulous Fords Forever show. We have a great time hanging out drinking beers turning wrenches, talking cars..

Your friend sounds very insecure and not much of a friend imo.. there are genuinely cool 'car guy' people out there.. Maybe time to move on

Last edited by Eakster; 06-16-2012 at 08:27 PM.
Old 06-16-2012, 09:02 PM
cuengineer
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Hard to imagine a car guy being that contrary and serious about it. I am used to being teased about my cars (and teasing others back about their characteristics) but it is just in fun. I enjoy all of my vehicles (Corvette, Camaro, Jaguar, Mercedes, Buicks, Trans Am, Avalanche, etc.). They each have their place and the situation where I prefer driving them. Having said that, the Vette gets the most attention because it makes me just feel good whenever I drive it even though it doesn't ride the best, isn't the quietest, doesn't have a lot more power, isn't as unique, etc. compared to various others. But it is just fun, and I love the handling! Sounds to me like the guy is just plain jealous.
Old 06-16-2012, 09:16 PM
2002BlackMN6
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A true car guy will appreciate all...for me, one of my dream cars is an 89 TTA...that, or a 4th gen WS6, or a built Fox body even....I really enjoy my C5, and I really have only the garage space for one toy car, but maybe in the future....

Seriously, your friend needs to get over the fact that just because some Corvette owners are jerks and not real "car guys", doesn't mean they all are like that.
Old 06-16-2012, 09:29 PM
mike100
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

I've had an example from the first 3 generations of F-body and am glad I had them, but I don't really want to go back for any kind of sentimental reasons. Especially due to prices on the early ones! I owned those cars and can tell you they aren't worth the Barrett Jackson type prices.

I remember the first time I ever was really scared in a car (as a passenger) it was in an 86 C4 with good tires on it. 2.79 gears and slow as dogshit on the 0-60, but boy would it take corners about 20 mph faster than my 3rd gen. Then the first time I ever drove a vette it was a 91 ZR-1 (new). I have never owned a Camaro since I sold the 92 Z-28 back in 1997 or so.

I still had the same mentality in the late 90's and early 2000's- vettes are too expensive and not even on my radar...then the C6-Z06 and a couple of years later the LS3 came along in the base coupe. long story short- C4's got real cheap and I bought one for a DD- really liked it.

I sometime desire a 3.8l 4rd gen as I did test drive one at a dealership once. I no longer want an F-body for speed, but for cruising or daily driving. I never had the 4th gen and would like to own a V6 5 speed someday. The other vettes i currently have kind of make owning a Z-28 or SS kind of unnecessary.
Old 06-16-2012, 10:22 PM
KYC4
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 39 Posts

Thank you everyone for your thoughts on this. We've known each other for over 10 years now. But I just feel a lack of solid support/enthusiasm from him regarding the 'vette and that is a real bummer. I have not lost my love of F-Bodys at all (I have a 4th Gen V6 car for my DD and my mother and I co-own an '02 WS6 TA). I just was always hung up on having to own a TA and now that the C4 is here I am just excited about bringing it back and having something like it. And so are our mutual friends. They see and understand why I am more and more attached to the 'vette.

Later,

Lee
Old 06-17-2012, 01:01 AM
Caboboy
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22
'23-'24

I think they call it some kind of body part envy.......
Old 06-17-2012, 11:17 AM
Frizlefrak
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Find new friends.

Seriously....if someone isn't sharing in your joy in life (in whatever aspect) why keep them around? Someone else will.

Enjoy your Vette Lee.
Old 06-17-2012, 12:06 PM
H P Bushrod

Received 109 Likes on 84 Posts
CI 5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
Is he paying your bills? Who cares, like Jon said.

A sellout....please. Its a Chevy no?

C4s are a lot of bang for the buck

Love Camaros also but they are just too much these days (love the Gen1/2)
Originally Posted by Frizlefrak
Find new friends.

Seriously....if someone isn't sharing in your joy in life (in whatever aspect) why keep them around? Someone else will.

Enjoy your Vette Lee.

Couldn't have said it better. Enjoy!
Old 06-17-2012, 01:16 PM
ps374
Melting Slicks

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

I have had a 67 SS Camaro, 79 Trans Am and 85 Z28. I would take my 84 Corvette over all of them with out a second thought. None of the other cars has the feel or handling ability of the Corvette IMO. The other cars were sporty. The Corvette is a sports car. I will say more people lusted after the Trans AM. Maybe because it was a Smokey and the Bandit look alike but it could not handle as well as the Corvette and as nice as it was seeing the shaker scoop it just did not excite like the Corvette. The 67 Camaro was the fastest of the bunch in straight line performance but dangerous to drive into a fast turn. It could get you killed real easy. I would go with the Corvette. I never found a car quite as exciting as driving a Corvette.
Old 06-17-2012, 01:33 PM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Find new friends.

Enjoy your Vette Lee.

X2 A true friend would be happy for you. In my experience true car guys like all cars.
Old 06-17-2012, 02:13 PM
Frizlefrak
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by ch@0s

X2 A true friend would be happy for you. In my experience true car guys like all cars.

Word.

I've actually had people ask why I own both Chevy's and Fords. Silly question IMHO....I'm a car guy. I like anything interesting, even a handful of imports.
Old 06-17-2012, 02:35 PM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

Word.

I've actually had people ask why I own both Chevy's and Fords. Silly question IMHO....I'm a car guy. I like anything interesting, even a handful of imports.
I have been tossing around the Idea of swapping an LS in a Fox body. Then join a Mustang forum
Old 06-17-2012, 08:45 PM
dukeallen
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have been tossing around the Idea of swapping an LS in a Fox body. Then join a Mustang forum
I also hang out in some Camaro and Mustang forums. There was a guy the other day that wanted to do that exact swap and was asking for tips in the 3rd gen forums. Was that you or did he beat you to it?

Get notified of new replies

To Looking for thoughts/opinions on F-Body/Y-Body friendship friction

Old 06-17-2012, 08:47 PM
PLRX
Team Owner

Received 501 Likes on 342 Posts
Co-winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C4 of Year
2016 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Sounds like "your friend" knows how to push your buttons. That's not a friend, that's an a**hole.
Old 06-17-2012, 09:56 PM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by dukeallen
I also hang out in some Camaro and Mustang forums. There was a guy the other day that wanted to do that exact swap and was asking for tips in the 3rd gen forums. Was that you or did he beat you to it?
Wasn't me.. it is a popular and from what I hear an easy swap. I bet the response was priceless.
Old 06-17-2012, 10:10 PM
Bandit's C4
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Central PA Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Word.

Altho will draw the line....Prius!

Quick Reply: Looking for thoughts/opinions on F-Body/Y-Body friendship friction