Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Here you go... C4 w/hitch bike rack pics.

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 11:36 AM
StuK
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Here you go... C4 w/hitch bike rack pics.

I've seen some posts regarding this but, never did find any pics of the Curt C4 hitch with a bike rack so, here you go if you're looking!

Took all day to do. Had to pull the aft exhaust and drop the spare to get in there but, working on your back drilling holes with smoking hot aluminum shavings falling on you wasn't fun. Getting a straight hole through several layers of aluminum wasn't fun either but! I'm headed out to ride now!

Old 05-28-2012, 12:20 PM
JrRifleCoach
Team Owner

Location: Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
Received 640 Likes on 444 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Why don't you just ride the frickin' thing around the field there in front of your house?
Save you a lot of work and fuel.

Old 05-28-2012, 12:25 PM
StuK
Instructor

No wild pigs, poisonous snakes, jumps, chiggers, coyotes across the street. I dig riding where the wild things are!
Old 05-28-2012, 12:33 PM
JrRifleCoach
Team Owner

Location: Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
Received 640 Likes on 444 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

CHiggers! Now there's a fun time!
Old 05-28-2012, 03:25 PM
jakers
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Default Ride on...

I like to cycle myself! I prefer Eddy Merckx, Cannondale and Santa Cruz's myself. I also believe my 02 Yukon is better for transporting the bikes than my 94 Vette. On the other hand; if the Vette is your only option for getting to the Mountain Bike trails... then go for it. Come to think of it, the roads to my local trails would be a hoot in the Vette!

Ride On, Bike or Vette
Old 05-28-2012, 04:27 PM
astepup
Melting Slicks

Received 1,805 Likes on 668 Posts

I'm liking the AMC Javelin in the driveway. Project car?

astepup said that
Old 05-28-2012, 04:31 PM
Sweet 90
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by astepup

astepup said that
Me too
Not a fan of the bike rack on a Vette, but you gotta do what you gotta do
Old 05-28-2012, 04:43 PM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

Received 619 Likes on 497 Posts

Nice C4. I see that Porshce 914 in the garage.
Old 05-28-2012, 05:16 PM
mcm95403
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 223 Likes on 145 Posts

astepup said that
That's what I was thinking. OP, more info on the Javelin please
Old 05-28-2012, 05:22 PM
dukeallen
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

astepup said that
It really says something when your vette is probably the least coolest car you own
Old 05-28-2012, 05:27 PM
Sweet 90
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by dukeallen
It really says something when your vette is probably the least coolest car you own
Ouch!!
Old 05-28-2012, 05:31 PM
kimmer
Le Mans Master

Received 60 Likes on 41 Posts
C4 of the Year Finalist

Please tell me you are also using it to pull a tire trailer.
Old 05-28-2012, 06:08 PM
StuK
Instructor

I'm a big fan of old cars (anything really, The bicycle is a '97 Cannondale Super V Carbon rear... old top of the line & cool!) and especially (excuse my lingo) Bastard Cars that most folks don't like or appreciate.

If I had $100K today I would buy up every cheap C4 I could get and sit on them for 10 or 20 years. That 914 is the Porsche bastard that VW nor Porsche really claim yet this one is set up to wipe out 911's on the autocross.

The C4 is unbelievable that it's the least favorite of the Vette's. I think it's the most rad Vette with the killer clamshell hood, very definite 80's hard sculpted lines on the dash and digital dash. Not knocking any other Vette series but, I honestly do personally dig those features on the C4 and they are unique.

1968 Javelin- Pop used to drag race 2 of his '68 AMX's back when I was a little midget around '69- '70 back in El Paso and think he drove the Uncle Sam factory drag car as well for a bit. He traded one of the AMX's for a 1970 Javelin SST which my Mom drove until around '76. I just picked up the Jav about a month ago and will start restoration on it soon (kind of a childhood memory thing plus Jav's are such beautiful car when done up right)... already doing planning for it. It will be Scarab Gold (orig color) with 2 black stripes up the middle. Has a 343 in it now and is not running.

1974 Porsche 914 was bought in '76 by my Dad from a doctors wife in El Paso. It's up on stands for clutch when I feel like getting under there and pulling the transaxle out. Rebuilt the dual Dellorto's again a month ago.

Anyway! I just got sidetracked into car history!

I guess on the bike on the Vette, I want to drive the Vette daily. It's either that or the 914 for the bike rack. Plus, I'm gonna be the only Vette anywhere I go parked in a sea of trucks, SUV's and VW's with roof racks. I guess I dig standing out?? Psychological problem on my end?

Don't worry, I don't trash my stuff. I actually appreciate everything I have and clean everything probably too much. Might wear the paint off of the vette if I am not careful from washing too much! Same on my old bike on the back. I'll ride the crap out of it and then wash and lube it before I put it away, then re-lube before riding again if much time passes between rides.

Nothing beats old, clean, well taken care of/ restored and appreciated by it's owners... stuff!

I took a couple pics of the hitch after I got back from riding an hour ago. I'll post them in a few minutes just in case someone wants to see how bad it looks with just the hitch. It's doesn't look bad at all in my opinion. It's so compact normal people would probably miss it.

Not mine but, hope it looks this good when I am done:

Last edited by StuK; 05-28-2012 at 06:23 PM. Reason: I am the lizard king
Old 05-28-2012, 06:34 PM
StuK
Instructor

Originally Posted by jakers
I like to cycle myself! I prefer Eddy Merckx, Cannondale and Santa Cruz's myself. I also believe my 02 Yukon is better for transporting the bikes than my 94 Vette. On the other hand; if the Vette is your only option for getting to the Mountain Bike trails... then go for it. Come to think of it, the roads to my local trails would be a hoot in the Vette!

Ride On, Bike or Vette
Not Familiar with Eddy Merckx. Alway liked Cannondale and had a couple Specialized. Got my wife a late 90's GT Full susp last summer and restored it. Beautiful bike now although a little heavy. I need to polish the Super V soon. Sweat on the alum frame discolors it a little bit.

When I started getting the urge to do this, I was going to get a spare targa roof for the Porsche to mount a track style bike rack and then thought about the same thing for the vette. In the end, I figured it was cheaper to get the hitch and probably safer for everything (bikes, cars and vintage roof hardware) to go with the hitch since I had the bike rack already.

So far I am happy! (looks and function yes...not with the install time and difficulty)

Anyway, good to meet you amigo! Are you still riding these days?

Last edited by StuK; 05-28-2012 at 06:49 PM.
Old 05-28-2012, 06:56 PM
mrmtrtrnd
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

You have some cool old cars. I drove a 914 back in the day when it was new and loved that little car. Good looking 88 and if you want a bike rack on it who gives a xxxx what others think. Good luck with those project cars.

Last edited by mrmtrtrnd; 05-28-2012 at 07:00 PM.
Old 05-28-2012, 07:44 PM
StuK
Instructor

Originally Posted by mrmtrtrnd
You have some cool old cars. I drove a 914 back in the day when it was new and loved that little car. Good looking 88 and if you want a bike rack on it who gives a xxxx what others think. Good luck with those project cars.
Thanks Mr! Opinions are alright above and everyone is different. I would probably say something if I saw a C4 with 22 inch rims (that would be the ultimate in tacky).

I am different than most people on here probably that multiple cars have always been my thing. I bought a cheap house so I would have the cash for my heroine... I mean multiple car experience habit which is just me. I have had around 150 cars in my 30 years since I bought my first VW Baja for $300 in H.S.. Six months later my buddy sold me his TR7 with a Buick V6 implant for $50 when he left for the Army and pretty much combined with all of the hotrods my pop has had and still has, it's affected me to kind of play with cars like a single young dude plays with females. I have a really killer wife so, females for me are a non issue and I do the cars instead. Unfortunately, I rarely keep them for very long after I have "played with them" for a while.

I am trying to stick with this batch though. I might have sold the Vette to get something utility to get me back to the trails with my bike but, decided to make the vette do the job because it's really a b*tchin' car and I want to keep it.

Crappy thing is I got my daughter a used Mitata about 5 weeks ago and while driving it to fix it up for her, that dang car was fun to drive as well and I wanted one of those too. It's a sickness. The ultimate symbol/tool of real freedom on a world of fake freedom. Oh yea, wife almost slapped me when I mentioned I wanted a Miata too. She's cool most of the time!

I seriously like the fact that a few people on here have diverse tastes in other makes and models and know what you guys are looking at (how many people would know what an AMC Javelin even was?)

One car I would put up a fight to get if I could would be a mid 70's Lotus Esprit like in the James Bond flick Spy Who Loved Me. I would have to modify my garage for a car lift in that case. That would be a rad one to add to the toy box!
Old 05-28-2012, 07:57 PM
IAFF alumni
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by StuK
Nothing beats old, clean, well taken care of/ restored and appreciated by it's owners... stuff!
I'm with you brother.

Get notified of new replies

To Here you go... C4 w/hitch bike rack pics.

Old 05-28-2012, 09:43 PM
mrmtrtrnd
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

I wouldn't like a vette with 22" rims and most likely would tell the person it's not for me but if he likes it do it and don't look back. I don't like everything other owners do with their cars but I like variety in cars. I like to see what others are doing and sometimes I see something I don't like but I'm glad the owner posted pictures so I know what not to do.
If I had a wife that like cars as much as me I would have a bunch of project cars in my garage and driveway also. There is one oldie I've been looking at, a 69 AMX with a 390 and four speed. You just don't see many of those like so many other oldies.
Old 05-28-2012, 09:53 PM
StuK
Instructor

Originally Posted by mrmtrtrnd
There is one oldie I've been looking at, a 69 AMX with a 390 and four speed. You just don't see many of those like so many other oldies.
Oh man, I want one of those too if I could afford one. You wouldn't believe how much these Javs and AMX's are going for these days. Heck, maybe you already know but, I jumped on this Jav because finding an AMX is pretty hard to do... Locally I mean. I am sure they come up when you aren't looking for them and miss that one is for sale but, yea.... You get that car and you are the MAN!

Check this out... My pop and one of the AMX's I crawled around in the back of before seatbelt laws :

http://www.southwestdrags.com/nostal...m/unclesam.htm
Old 05-28-2012, 11:49 PM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

now ya need one 'o them bull ball hangers

Quick Reply: Here you go... C4 w/hitch bike rack pics.