Old 05-28-2012, 10:24 PM
1800Wing
Flatulent Dwarf
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Sweet 90
Has to be the baffle.
ps: You weren't missing any bolts when you reinstalled the oil pan I trust
Nice to see one name I recognize here.....

later, tiny
Old 05-28-2012, 11:08 PM
Klondike
Race Director

Received 110 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by WW7
Here's something that I don't think was mentioned yet.. The oil level indicator in the side of the pan is supposed to be removed before taking the pan off. Its also suppose to be put back in after the pan is on..If you put it back in before installing the pan you could of either bent the oil level indicator or the oil pickup tube..Just thought I would mention this.......WW
There's something else I didn't know! It's good to look over the shoulders around here. You never know what you'll see.
Old 06-04-2012, 11:26 PM
csthews
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

After a week of wondering, I finally had a chance to get the car back in the garage and find out what was wrong. First, I pulled the starter and and flywheel cover. I could see where something was rubbing on the inside surface, so I took a shot that this was it. I reinstalled the starter without the cover and gave it a start...no banging. I straightened out the cover as good as i could and reinstalled. So far, so good.

Oil pressure looks good. I guess I should feel ok. Of course, I'm still wondering if that was it, or if something in the oil pan just got knocked out of the way. I checked the flywheel and the only thing I could see that could possibly rub was what I think is a balance weight. Still not sure. I might drop the oil pan just to make sure.
Old 06-04-2012, 11:39 PM
csthews
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Below is a photo of the cover. The contact area is on the upper right hand side.

I also found this little item on the oil pump inlet screen. There was also a small piece of aluminum on it. Anyone have any idea what this can be? I'm guessing it is off of an oil filter, but I'm not sure it could have ended up in the oil pan.

Old 03-03-2022, 04:16 PM
Starlene
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clanking noise after pull pan change

Originally Posted by csthews
Just changed my oil pan gasket on my '95 LT1. When I start it up, I can hear a loud banging noise coming from under the car. I don't hear anything when I just bump the engine. I only hear the noise when the engine runs. I'm hoping that the shield between the oil pan and flywheel is the culprit (maybe keeping the drive gear in contact with the flywheel????). When I pulled the oil pan, I found it hanging on by one screw (not even the right bolt for the hole at that). When I reassembled everything, I tried to put it back the way I thought it should go. That is the only thing that I can remember not putting back the way I found it.

Just wondering if anyone has any other ideas before I get back under the car.

Oh yeah...so far, no leak, but the car really hasn't run long enough to test.
Remove the transmission dust shield adjacent to the oil pan. Straighten it out. Even if you think that isn't the problem!
Put it back on.
Start engine.
It worked for me.
Old 03-03-2022, 08:32 PM
Railroadman
Team Owner

Received 5,008 Likes on 2,528 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

OK, you're joking, right? I think since it's a 10-year old thread, the problem is solved by now.
The following users liked this post:
Crossed Flags Fan (03-04-2022)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Loud clanging after changing oil pan gasket