C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

new vett owner opti spark msd

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2012, 12:37 PM
redvett22
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new vett owner opti spark msd

hey every one im new to the fourm as well as a first time vett owner. i just bought a 1994 corvette 6 speed and just wondered if anyone has any good or bad things to say about the msd opti spark. i bought my car with 80000 miles on it a month ago and had to have the dealer replace the opti spak then the water pump went out so i replaced it my self but i was thinking about upgrading to the msd as i got a h 36 mod 4 code when the water pump went out. so i think the opti went bad due to the water pump leaking. i love this car and they are a blast to drive im hooked on vetts. Thanks for any help
Old 05-05-2012, 02:16 PM
mfi
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I hear good things about them now..I went with a Petris one.
Old 05-05-2012, 02:34 PM
94z07fx3
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

FWIW "h" = historical "c" = current. any drivability issues with that code?

IMO MSD opti is a very nice looking part. I don't think they perform or last any longer than stock. Also IMO vacuum vent isn't worth the effort over open vent.

Regardless of brand secure the rotor screws with red loctite before install.
Old 05-05-2012, 04:16 PM
redvett22
Intermediate

94z07fx3 no to the drivability issues but every once and a while after a longer cruze some times it will not want to start it will just crank over. i was under good acceleration in second gear when the ses light came on but it didnt run abnormal. i got home and it had a c 12 code in mod 1 and the h 36 in the mod 4. let it sit for a while with the batt. unpluged and it started right up. Thanks on the input on the msd opti .
Old 05-05-2012, 04:48 PM
94z07fx3
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When it will crank but won't start is time for diagnosis. It is either missing spark (easy to check with a spark test tool ($5 at harbor freight) or timing light etc. or it is missing fuel easy to check with a fuel pressure tester (NOT the one from harbor freight!) I told the guy at O'reiley's that HF sold them for $41 and he sold me a much nicer one for $41.99

If it's missing spark then go down the opti diagnosis road.
Old 05-05-2012, 05:23 PM
redvett22
Intermediate

thanks for the info i will check in to that stuff this has been a little bit of a headach for me but it will get there.
Old 05-05-2012, 05:45 PM
C4315
Intermediate

http://store.prestoliteperformance.c...stributor.html

WHAT ABOUT THE ACCELL OPTI SPARK ?
looks good
Old 05-06-2012, 08:12 AM
mfi
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Have not heard good things about that one...for the money the Petris one I bought seemed the best deal. Its a real delco opti with his own design vented cap and vent harness, a real GM harness..check out his site at Petris engineering. he's very well know in the vette community, gives seminars, etc.
Old 05-06-2012, 09:55 AM
C4315
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mfi
Have not heard good things about that one...for the money the Petris one I bought seemed the best deal. Its a real delco opti with his own design vented cap and vent harness, a real GM harness..check out his site at Petris engineering. he's very well know in the vette community, gives seminars, etc.
thanks for the info, will look right now.
this was always the weakest point of the LT1 engine
there's the multi coil semi alternative (still needs the opti spark to remain installed though) from Delteq that can help.
but it's a design flaw in the LT1 IMHO. vs the ZR1 Lotus engine
or even the L98.
Old 05-06-2012, 06:20 PM
pacat
Instructor

Originally Posted by 94z07fx3
FWIW "h" = historical "c" = current. any drivability issues with that code?

IMO MSD opti is a very nice looking part. I don't think they perform or last any longer than stock. Also IMO vacuum vent isn't worth the effort over open vent.

Regardless of brand secure the rotor screws with red loctite before install.
Yes, loctite those rotor screws. I installed a MSD Opti on my 93. Less then 6,000 miles later I started to have problems with the engine missing and hard starts. Pulled the Opti to find the rotor loose wobbling around under the cap. Some damage was done to the rotor and cap. I removed the opti and sent it back to MSD. They replaced it free of charge.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:14 PM
mtwoolford
Melting Slicks

Received 194 Likes on 180 Posts

I've read Corvette Forum regularily for several years now. I can truthfully say the forum is full of threads / posts where people have experienced less than satisfactory service from MSD units and all the while paying a premium for it. I would say "keep your GM car all GM". JMO
Old 05-08-2012, 10:13 PM
RACER 1993
Racer

When my distributor went bad it had about 80,000 miles on it. I bought a new water pump and found a roll pin that would fit tightly in the weep hole on the pump. I drove the pin in about a quarter of an inch and put a small drain hose on the pump. Ty rap the hose out of the way and out near the radiator. If the pump starts weeping it should not leak on the distributor again.
Old 05-09-2012, 10:50 AM
cappe
Intermediate

have a 92. 86K miles had a leak in a hose that sprayed coolant replaced and went for drive after and had a horrible skip at all throttle positions and even backfired. got her home and started researching opti prices and reputations. spoke with a buddy who said to park the car for a couple of days, let the opti dry out and drive again. have had no problems for almost a year still running great no codes no starting issues no skipping.

Get notified of new replies

To new vett owner opti spark msd

Quick Reply: new vett owner opti spark msd