C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Drunk Mustang driver...

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 11:26 PM
Louiseven
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Drunk Mustang driver...

My 86 resto-project car was hit by a drunk driver early morning March 18. Leaving work at 1:40 AM the nigh before was St. Patty's day!
The guy hit me three times then hit a Toyota Prius and ran. Long story I went after him got the license number. Cops,insurance, blah,blah! LAPD was too busy to go after him and are now telling me and my insurance company they are behind on their paper work 6 months!
I will need a new bumper, quarter panel and passenger door, headlight motor.

Meanwhile, a friend loaned me her C6 to drive today!!! Pretty fun but, I must say other than the obvious extra HP and modern electronics the C6 is not that drastically different.

Happy and safe motoring all, keep waving!!!
Old 04-16-2012, 11:49 PM
desertmike1
Melting Slicks

Received 50 Likes on 49 Posts

sorry to hear this I hope it has a good ending!
Old 04-16-2012, 11:55 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Went through something similar to you in L.A. too few months back
They would not come out and do a report..so I made it in to their place and still wouldnt write one. Time before last same thing.

When I caught 2 guys trying to steal my truck TWICE in teh same night same thing. Yet they get pissed when you take the law into your hands and YOU go to jail.
Bottom line they are lazy....same as any state/co./city worker. Ask me how I know. Its bad.

Hope things work out for you!
Old 04-16-2012, 11:57 PM
RockG
Instructor

that really sucks, hope it all ends well... x2
Old 04-17-2012, 11:25 AM
bac22
Le Mans Master

Received 186 Likes on 163 Posts

6 months?!?!?! Seriously...you need to bitch up a storm with your district city rep! It's amazing how quickly someone whose job is based on being voted into office will respond to a complaint. May not get you anywhere fast, but gotta start somewhere!
Old 04-17-2012, 11:34 AM
alexmurphy
Instructor

I don't mean to hate on cops or anything, but a lot of times they just don't care. My friend's 93 chevy S10 was stolen from the city and the cops did nothing. The cop literally showed up, listened to what my friend had to say, wrote NOTHING down, and said "I'll get to work on that" and drove off. Don't expect the police to find your guy. If you want him to pay back, you have to find him yourself (while keeping the law in mind)
Old 04-17-2012, 11:47 AM
Klondike
Race Director

Received 110 Likes on 89 Posts

Same thing happened To my Bro-in-law. He finally went over to the guys house one night, and took a fire ax to the jerks car. Knocked a big hole in the roof above the driver seat & smashed the A-pillar so bad, I don't think the door would even open any more! Lucky he didn't get shot in that neighborhood... but I think he got his point across.
Old 04-17-2012, 12:03 PM
dukeallen
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Many years ago I had a Camaro that was vandalized, graffiti sprayed all over it. The cop came over, listened to my story, handed me a pamphlet on "Victims rights" and left.
I knew who did it...and he knows not to ever do it again.
The only good thing is my Dad was a painter and got the crap off without leaving any marks and no need to respray.
Old 04-17-2012, 07:05 PM
Chuck Tribolet
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Make sure your insurance company has all the specifics on the perp.

Chuck
Old 04-17-2012, 11:33 PM
Railroadman
Team Owner

Received 5,010 Likes on 2,529 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

It's amazing and sad we have come to the point that cops won't even go after a hit-and-run driver when you give them the plate number and everything.

But run an aftermarket exhaust that does not comply with the smog dictates and you'll be pounding rocks in the hot sun!

<------Not a fan of Kalifornia!
Old 04-19-2012, 10:29 PM
Rastan
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

LAPD are hollywood cops! They are only good for high profile cases, and beating the black man down! I'll say it to there face. Good luck with your vette bro.
Old 05-23-2012, 10:07 PM
Louiseven
Instructor

Default Update

....So the "owner" of the Mustang that hit me claims her car was stolen the night the guy crashed into my Vette a total three times! There were possibly 4 occupants in the car. I saw three for sure including a woman who took over after the the drunk jerk to decided to ditch the car and it's passengers and stagger down the street. I mentioned to the LAPD traffic detectives I would never have thought that a car thief would try to drive off with a car he and she had stolen and then crashed. Conveniently the car was never reported stolen and was miraculously found by the registered owner at a garage without police help!
Of course the the registered owner does not have insurance or a even a drivers license. LAPD has decided to investigate no further and my insurance company State Farm is giving me the low ball. They consider my car a total loss. I can keep it and take an even lower amount and also get a salvaged title. Thanks for {reading} listening!
Old 05-23-2012, 10:12 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Then they tell us not to take the law into our own hands.
They sure dont if they can avoid it!!

sorry to hear about your loss....LA is full of garbage that did that to you. Too full.
Old 05-23-2012, 10:18 PM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Louiseven
....So the "owner" of the Mustang that hit me claims her car was stolen the night the guy crashed into my Vette a total three times! There were possibly 4 occupants in the car. I saw three for sure including a woman who took over after the the drunk jerk to decided to ditch the car and it's passengers and stagger down the street. I mentioned to the LAPD traffic detectives I would never have thought that a car thief would try to drive off with a car he and she had stolen and then crashed. Conveniently the car was never reported stolen and was miraculously found by the registered owner at a garage without police help!
Of course the the registered owner does not have insurance or a even a drivers license. LAPD has decided to investigate no further and my insurance company State Farm is giving me the low ball. They consider my car a total loss. I can keep it and take an even lower amount and also get a salvaged title. Thanks for {reading} listening!
Don'tlet them low ball you. The laws a different here and there but here they have to give you what it would take to replace your vehicle with a similar vehicle. Make sure you edumacate yourself.
Old 06-23-2012, 11:49 PM
Louiseven
Instructor

Default Last Update

Originally Posted by ch@0s
Don'tlet them low ball you. The laws a different here and there but here they have to give you what it would take to replace your vehicle with a similar vehicle. Make sure you edumacate yourself.
Not here...of course!

I had to take a low ball amount money from my insurance company and next week I must re-register my car as a salvage title. Will post pics later of the damage. Time to move on and continue the business of restoring my car as planned. Now I just have a few extra parts to replace.
Old 06-24-2012, 08:25 AM
Tommy T-Bone
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14

I would be tempted to take out a classified ad saying, something like. If you have any information on a (blankity balank) Mustang, tag number, please call (local tip hotline). Information wanted in connection with a hit and run accident In March of this year.

The fact that the cops don't care and the perp doesn't care make no difference. Maybe some of their friends and neighbors would read it and rib him or gossip about what a scumbag he is. Let everyone know he's an asshat. Of course everything you do in this world nowadays has possible legal ramifications.
Old 06-24-2012, 01:46 PM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Louiseven
Not here...of course!

I had to take a low ball amount money from my insurance company and next week I must re-register my car as a salvage title. Will post pics later of the damage. Time to move on and continue the business of restoring my car as planned. Now I just have a few extra parts to replace.
Sorry to hear that. GL with it

Get notified of new replies

To Drunk Mustang driver...

Old 06-25-2012, 01:37 PM
Klondike
Race Director

Received 110 Likes on 89 Posts

If they have no insurance, is there any legal way you can have their car impounded or taken from them and sold to help reimburse you damages? I hate it when scumbags don't play by the rules that all the rest of us have to pay for. They bust stuff up and just walk away free..WTF!!!
Old 06-25-2012, 01:48 PM
bangbgC6
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Klondike
If they have no insurance, is there any legal way you can have their car impounded or taken from them and sold to help reimburse you damages? I hate it when scumbags don't play by the rules that all the rest of us have to pay for. They bust stuff up and just walk away free..WTF!!!
You would think that NOT complying with the law would open that avenue as a way to get compensation for damages like this.

Sadly the Mustang is probably a POS since the RO didn't bother to insure it, and not worth enough to cover Louisevens' damages.

They SHOULD be able to impound to keep an uninsured vehicle off the road.
Old 06-28-2012, 03:39 AM
Louiseven
Instructor

Thanks all, your words are appreciated. The most I could do at this point is to litigate through small claims court. Honestly, it would be just a big hassle to win nothing more than a judgment. Enforcing the judgement to pay would be nil. Not dealing with honest folks in the first place.
The plan is to get the new windshield put in this Friday. While I am there I will pick up a few other parts. Other than the windshield the other damage is cosmetic. I am going to continue working on important engine matters previous to the negligent act. I refuse to call it an accident! Drive safe everyone be well.

Quick Reply: Drunk Mustang driver...