C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Pennsylvania DMV Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2012, 04:58 PM
skylarkul
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Pennsylvania DMV Question

I just sold my Ruby to a very nice couple from PA. They want to get "classic" plates. Apparently, PA requires an appraisal in order to get classic plates. I've already discovered at least one other really weird requirement for registering a car from out of state. Is anyone out there familiar with this process and, do you know if this is required to be by a licensed appraier?

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

Les
Old 04-07-2012, 05:52 PM
silverja
Drifting

Received 132 Likes on 80 Posts

Default Some Info

Here is some info:

http://www.pacode.com/secure/data/06...chap67toc.html

There is no requirement to have an appraisal.
Old 04-07-2012, 05:57 PM
brian_ndms
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Word to the wise. I live in PA and have own two Vettes and one Porsche. If they register it is as a classic they will only be able to drive it from sunrise to sunset. I think they still have to inspect the the car also.
Old 04-07-2012, 06:34 PM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

Originally Posted by brian_ndms
Word to the wise. I live in PA and have own two Vettes and one Porsche. If they register it is as a classic they will only be able to drive it from sunrise to sunset. I think they still have to inspect the the car also.
No, that is incorrect. Classic and Antique registered autos are allowed to be operated at night with approved lights.
To acquire Classic Plates in PA you need to take four pictures one of each side, there is a form to fill out and have the title. The fee is about one hundred dollars and can be accomplished at any place that handles motor vehicle licensing and title transfers. Antique vehicles do not need to be inspected. Classic vehicles need inspected.
I have both, Antique (1961 Olds) and Classic (1985 Dodge Convertible).
Old 04-07-2012, 07:02 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 7,025 Likes on 4,828 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

I agree with Larry when I got antique plates on my Chevelle I just needed to have the four pictures. And the car must look stock to get them. No need for a appraisal
Old 04-07-2012, 07:09 PM
PLRX
Team Owner

Received 501 Likes on 342 Posts
Co-winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C4 of Year
2016 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

J.U.S. is from PA. He may chime in soon.
Old 04-07-2012, 08:30 PM
brian_ndms
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was under the impression that with these type of tags you were not able to drive after dusk. I apologize for the error on my part.
Old 04-07-2012, 09:04 PM
FOURSPEEDVETTE
Safety Car

Received 224 Likes on 156 Posts

The only limitations in Pennsylavania with Classic or Antique plates are that the vehicle cannot be used for daily driving such as going to work or shopping everyday. It can be used for pleasure driving, (meaning not everyday use) auto club functions, parades, and car shows or events. With Classic plates in Pa. (car must be at least 15 years old) the car will need state inspections every year. Meaning they can track how many miles you've driven it! With Antique plates(car must be 25 years old) no inspection is needed!
Old 04-08-2012, 10:45 AM
Steve59
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

Also on Antique tags, you do not need a yearly registration renewal and you OWN the tag. Which means you can sell it/transfer it to another owner with a qualifying car. I have an old antique "Purple tag", which I believe is now becoming rare. The new tags have the same colors as the regular tags.
Old 04-08-2012, 12:43 PM
ED77KATR
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Steve59
Also on Antique tags, you do not need a yearly registration renewal and you OWN the tag. Which means you can sell it/transfer it to another owner with a qualifying car. I have an old antique "Purple tag", which I believe is now becoming rare. The new tags have the same colors as the regular tags.
Still have my Purple tag too. Moved to jersey in 2004. That tag is the nicest tag I ever saw. Plain & simple PA HISTORIC VEHICLE.. The new PA tag is ugly and looks too much like regular tag. Also has a beatup model T on it.. If your a Chevy guy its insulting.
Old 04-08-2012, 01:14 PM
FOURSPEEDVETTE
Safety Car

Received 224 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by ED77KATR
Still have my Purple tag too. Moved to jersey in 2004. That tag is the nicest tag I ever saw. Plain & simple PA HISTORIC VEHICLE.. The new PA tag is ugly and looks too much like regular tag. Also has a beatup model T on it.. If your a Chevy guy its insulting.
I have one of those fugly looking tags with the model T on it. I saw one of these type plates that actually had a picture of the car on the tag that matched his car. I'd love to have it done with my 85 C4. Anyone know how it's done?
Old 04-08-2012, 06:17 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,270 Likes on 2,031 Posts

I'm guessing the confusion here is the insurance requirements for "classic" vehicles. There's no appraisal requirement for sure for the tag but there are severe restrictions to the vehicles use after the registration. Most has to do with the "equipment" that was part of the original manufacture.

Classic "insurance" would certainly require an appraisal if the owner was attempting to place an "established value" policy on the car. Some of those policies have very limiting vehicle usage binders also!

Here's a PADMV FACT SHEET: http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/pdotforms...ets/fs-ant.pdf

and an application: http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/pdotforms/mv_forms/mv-11.pdf
Old 04-08-2012, 06:28 PM
C7-Beast
Safety Car

Received 331 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
Classic "insurance" would certainly require an appraisal if the owner was attempting to place an "established value" policy on the car. Some of those policies have very limiting vehicle usage binders also!
Not always true. I just purchased a 1993 Ruby and I called Hagerty and they asked for some pictures and that was it. I originally put agreed upon value as 10K but they called me and said book value was higher and I should consider a higher agreed upon value. I told them my 93 was a reconstructed vehicle and that is why I only put 10K on it. They said they would still raise it to book value so I did and it cost me an additional 40 bucks per year to have 15K agreed upon value. No appraisal was even asked for during this process.
Old 04-08-2012, 06:34 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,270 Likes on 2,031 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike02Z
Not always true. I just purchased a 1993 Ruby and I called Hagerty and they asked for some pictures and that was it. I originally put agreed upon value as 10K but they called me and said book value was higher and I should consider a higher agreed upon value. I told them my 93 was a reconstructed vehicle and that is why I only put 10K on it. They said they would still raise it to book value so I did and it cost me an additional 40 bucks per year to have 15K agreed upon value. No appraisal was even asked for during this process.
I didn't need to for my '90My ZR-1 either BUT you and I don't know what the "pay" was nor do we know what "established" value they buyer was attempting to establish if that is the issue!

I'd say we've established the fact though that an appraisal isn't required for the registration!
Old 04-08-2012, 07:15 PM
skylarkul
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks everyone. As usual, your comments are most helpful and, I've forwarded them on.
Old 04-08-2012, 09:38 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 7,025 Likes on 4,828 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by FOURSPEEDVETTE
I have one of those fugly looking tags with the model T on it. I saw one of these type plates that actually had a picture of the car on the tag that matched his car. I'd love to have it done with my 85 C4. Anyone know how it's done?
I have seen that too. the people I talked to that have done this told me that all they did was take a picture of there car re-size it to the size of the plate, and then have it laminated and taped it too the plate.

Get notified of new replies

To Pennsylvania DMV Question

Quick Reply: Pennsylvania DMV Question