C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Removable Front Plate

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2012, 07:02 PM
blakngold4life
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Removable Front Plate

No one likes the look of the front plates, in VA its not an option. I tried the fold down license plate bracket, but to me it seemed very ugly and out of place on the C4 not to mention highly visible when folded down. So, I decided to make a bracket with a pull pin which I could easily remove for shows and track days but leave up for street driving, or at least have in the car. I know, the filler plate is removable and I could do the same but soon I will be filing in that area so that will no longer be an option. Let me know what you think. If anyone is interested I may make more over the summer.

Old 03-18-2012, 12:50 PM
littlesk8cracker
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

pretty sweet idea. im in jersey so im also plauged with needing a front plate
Old 03-18-2012, 03:46 PM
summerst
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 20 Posts

Maybe we should "get political" and start a write-in campaign to Gov. MacDonald (VA) and the governors of other states with a two tag requirement to save taxpayer's dollars and drop the front tag. The only time the police look at the front tag on one of my cars is when I am driving my Corvette. Seems like such a waste. I have a court date next month to show the judge that I put my front tag back on. The state police officer that pulled me over told me that it had to be a photograph, not one played back on a camera phone which is an idiotic statement as you are not allowed to have camera phones in Va courthouses to begin with.
Old 03-18-2012, 04:43 PM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

The state police officer that pulled me over told me that it had to be a photograph, ...
Ummm, so are you going to tape the tag to the front end, snap a pic for the court and toss the tag after the pic...
Old 03-18-2012, 05:32 PM
blakngold4life
Pro

Originally Posted by summerst
Maybe we should "get political" and start a write-in campaign to Gov. MacDonald (VA) and the governors of other states with a two tag requirement to save taxpayer's dollars and drop the front tag.
People have been trying that for years, I figure its not going to happen so I have to do what I can to get around it.
Old 03-18-2012, 07:57 PM
summerst
Racer

Originally Posted by blakngold4life
People have been trying that for years, I figure its not going to happen so I have to do what I can to get around it.
Well, for what its worth, I sent a message to the VA Governor. Here is the website for contacting him:

http://www.governor.virginia.gov/abo...ctgovernor.cfm

I am sure that there is something similar for Christie in New Jersey and the other states that have the same useless outdated requirement.

Got a quick reponse. Macdonald's office seemed receptive to the idea but suggested that I kick it down to my state representative which I intend to do.

I sent the following message to my Delegate and Senator down in Richmond:

"At least 19 states do not require vehicles to display two license plates. Virginia still requires two plates. This adds an extra burden on the state and its taxpaying citizens to produce two plates instead of one and adds to the cost of a new car as most do not come with an integrated front tag bracket. It is also a burden for people moving to Virginia from a single plate state that have to scamble to find a front tag bracket. Its time for Virginia to move into the 21st century and jettison the two plate requirement and use the money saved to repair our roads. Ask around why we have a two tag requirement -- you wont get a good answer as there isn't one. You may hear that its always been that way but that is not good enough. The police do just fine in the 19 states that only have a rear tag. Most of the time the front tag gets damaged and requires replacement before the end of its useful life and our state replaces them for FREE if you pick them up at the DMV. Besides driving the states costs up, this increases the number of people in line at the DMV and adds to their workload which they use to justify more positions."

If you want your voice heard (in VA) go to this website. IT will find your Delagate and Senator and you can message them right from the site:
http://conview.state.va.us/whosmy.nsf/main?openform

Last edited by summerst; 03-19-2012 at 01:02 PM.
Old 03-19-2012, 02:06 PM
blakngold4life
Pro

I really dont see the legislation changing, state troopers like them and to the law that matters more than some guys with sports cars wanting the front end to have an unimpaired look. This is why I designed this removable bracket, have it when you want and don't have it when you don't want it. The small attachment bolted to the car is almost invisible unless you are looking for it, and even then it looks better than the front plate.
Old 03-19-2012, 04:15 PM
summerst
Racer

Originally Posted by blakngold4life
I really dont see the legislation changing, state troopers like them and to the law that matters more than some guys with sports cars wanting the front end to have an unimpaired look. This is why I designed this removable bracket, have it when you want and don't have it when you don't want it. The small attachment bolted to the car is almost invisible unless you are looking for it, and even then it looks better than the front plate.
If the state police were so gung ho about a front tag the fine should be more than $25. Plus its not a moving violation. Hardly worth pulling someone over unless they were looking for something else which I got the feeling he was. I have been driving C4s in Va since 2000 and this is the first time I was pulled over for no front tag. I am partially guilty as I drove right by the State Police Station which the policeman may have thought was a taunt by me. Actually, I was driving by the station as it was on the way to my kid's doctor's office where I was picking up a prescription. As for your bracket, I think its just fine. At the moment, I am back to a front tag. I guess I will live with it until I retire to Florida or Delaware which are both ONE TAG STATES.
Old 03-19-2012, 05:52 PM
rocco16
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 131 Posts

I'd like to see a picture with the adapter and license plate in place.
Old 03-19-2012, 05:58 PM
blakngold4life
Pro

Originally Posted by rocco16
I'd like to see a picture with the adapter and license plate in place.
Posted in the first two pics, I can try and get some further away or other angles this weekend.
Old 03-19-2012, 06:02 PM
rocco16
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 131 Posts

Hmmmmmmmm..... Plate in the normal location looks better.

But I give you an A for effort.

Old 03-20-2012, 10:52 PM
KYbaldguysC4
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rocco16
Hmmmmmmmm..... Plate in the normal location looks better.

But I give you an A for effort.

Don in Kentucky
Old 03-20-2012, 11:17 PM
The Plastic Lizard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In VA can't you get an antique plate if ou drive the car only to shows or "occasional pleasure driving"?

If its not a dd then you could do it. I think with antique plates you don't have to display but 1....depending how you interpret The statute below....

Notwithstanding the provisions of §§ 46.2-711 and 46.2-715, antique motor vehicles may display single license plates if the original manufacturer's design of the antique motor vehicles allows for the use of only single license plates or if the license plate was originally issued in one of the following years and is displayed in accordance with the provisions of subsection B of this section: 1906, 1907, 1908, 1909, 1945, or 1946.

Last edited by The Plastic Lizard; 03-20-2012 at 11:23 PM.
Old 03-20-2012, 11:57 PM
Smokeysvette
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

The car has to be twenty five years old here in Texas and then you can apply for antique tags.... And..... You just get one plate!

I still drive without a front plate and have never been pulled over.
A lot of times it's all about how your acting when the cop see's you or, if you out cruising late at night. They just primarily use the no front plate deal as a tool to pull you over if they suspect something or you out of place. At least that my take and I used to ride along with the Dallas Police Department all the time.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:26 AM
blakngold4life
Pro

I've thought about going for antique plates, even though the car is not a dd I do drive 200+ miles to shows or track days almost every weekend of the summer. I don't want to limit myself to what I can do just because I have a different plate.
Old 03-21-2012, 12:01 PM
mickey5
Drifting

Received 138 Likes on 110 Posts

I too live in Joisey which as noted previously requires 2 plates. I just placed the front cover over the plate with 2 screws and figure I'll just tell the cop I forgot to take it off after the last car show. Then jump out with my trusty srewdriver and take it off.
i've never been stopped for this infraction so I don't know if it will be accepted with just a scolding.

Get notified of new replies

To Removable Front Plate

Quick Reply: Removable Front Plate