C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

95 Security System went wacky.

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 09:40 PM
RonRock
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 95 Security System went wacky.

My 95 acted up on me yesterday. I drove it for about a 50 mile run around town in the afternoon. Parked and removed the keys and fob. I heard the doors lock and horn toot when I got out of range with the fob.

About 6 hours later the horn starts honking honk, honk, honk,,,,,I ran out and grabbed the keys and fob. Unlock and horn shuts off. Walk away and doors lock, horn toots. Again about 6 hours later (4 AM this time) same thing, honk, honk, honk,,,,, So I run out, unlock door and horn stops. I then disconnect the battery. Neighbors are not going to be happy if this keeps up.

So how do I start diagnosing what is wrong with my security system?
Old 03-10-2012, 08:49 AM
markKlein
Melting Slicks

Received 106 Likes on 91 Posts

Silly question, but how do you know that someone wasn't messing with it? I suppose it could be a problem developing in the PKE receiver, but it seems strange that the unlock/lock function still seems fine. Did you check the FSM for troubleshooting help?
Old 03-10-2012, 09:04 AM
RonRock
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When it happened the first time I figured someone might have caused it. I live in the country, so by the time I got out and down to the car they very well could have been in the field. But I doubt that they would have waited until 4 AM to try again.

I'll look in the FSM today, I was at work when I posted. Hoping someone would have some experience with the system and chime in.

Thanks,
Ron
Old 03-12-2012, 12:14 AM
Klondike
Race Director

Received 110 Likes on 89 Posts

Check the battery connections and battery voltage. It doesn't take much corrosion between the terminal and the cable to make a "resistor" between them. There sometimes is just enough connection to get the car started and then it runs off the alternator but doesn't recharge the battery enough. It really screws with the electronics when the voltage starts jumping around in the wee-hrs of the morning when things start to cool off and maybe get a bit damp. The alarm triggers when there is sudden voltage drop because it thinks a dome light went on or something.

Get notified of new replies

To 95 Security System went wacky.

Quick Reply: 95 Security System went wacky.