Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

So how many of you guys are doing/done LSX swaps?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2012, 07:03 AM
flaagan
CF "Young" Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

A couple of internet articles and this thread are giving me hope that when my sis is done trashing our '86 as her daily driver ( / destroyer), I'll be able to make the car fun again. I won't supercharge it like my '01 'vert is, but dropping an LS1 or 6 in there would be just the performance upgrade I'd always wanted the car to have back when it was my daily driver. I have no hate for the L98, it and the 4+3 are a blast to drive, but the LS1 block with a 5 or 6 speed so belongs in the C4.

3D87C4 is already aware of my wanting to see the Erod swap, but if there's any other C4 owners in the bay area that have done it, I'd love to see the results.
Old 11-24-2012, 10:03 AM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by flaagan
A couple of internet articles and this thread are giving me hope that when my sis is done trashing our '86 as her daily driver ( / destroyer), I'll be able to make the car fun again. I won't supercharge it like my '01 'vert is, but dropping an LS1 or 6 in there would be just the performance upgrade I'd always wanted the car to have back when it was my daily driver. I have no hate for the L98, it and the 4+3 are a blast to drive, but the LS1 block with a 5 or 6 speed so belongs in the C4.

3D87C4 is already aware of my wanting to see the Erod swap, but if there's any other C4 owners in the bay area that have done it, I'd love to see the results.
The 86 should be easy it has no CCM. GL and let us know if you need any help.
Old 11-24-2012, 12:24 PM
3D87C4
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by flaagan

The thing about a CA swap is you have to swap over all the emissions related stuff too. I went the EROD route 'cause I wanted new components and am hoping it's EO will help when it comes time to get it inspected. We didn't realise how badly the CATs would fit in the C4 though. They're in, as best as can be, but it's not 100% guaranteed the BAR Ref will accept the installation.

As Ch@0s has shown an LS swap can be done much more economically. But if you chose to swap from a donor vehicle take a hard look at the exhaust to be sure it will fit with its designed component-to-engine spacings.
Old 11-24-2012, 03:55 PM
flaagan
CF "Young" Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by 3D87C4
The thing about a CA swap is you have to swap over all the emissions related stuff too. I went the EROD route 'cause I wanted new components and am hoping it's EO will help when it comes time to get it inspected. We didn't realise how badly the CATs would fit in the C4 though. They're in, as best as can be, but it's not 100% guaranteed the BAR Ref will accept the installation.

As Ch@0s has shown an LS swap can be done much more economically. But if you chose to swap from a donor vehicle take a hard look at the exhaust to be sure it will fit with its designed component-to-engine spacings.
Good friend of mine is nearing the end of doing an LS1 swap into one of his '82 Camaros, and he's already working on making sure everything will pass ref, so I'll have that as a good reference when the time comes. At least with the C4 I won't have to replace the gas tank and fuel lines like he does.

I'll definitely keep an eye on what you have to deal with at the ref as well; keeping a detailed writeup of what you experience will be extremely helpful for the rest of us.
Old 11-24-2012, 11:16 PM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

Interesting read on flexplates

http://ls1tech.com/forums/conversion...uto-trans.html
Old 11-26-2012, 10:38 PM
flaagan
CF "Young" Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '12

Mentioned the swap idea to my friend with the Camaro, something he pointed out is that you have to carry "everything" over from the 'donor vehicle' to pass the ref, including the fuel tank and related systems. Someone had done a newer-to-older Camaro swap and had put the Corvette FRC's on the LS block, and the ref failed them for that. Everything has to be there, but doesn't necessarily have to be working, just not throwing codes. He wasn't sure how well the ERod argument would fly with some of the jerk refs he's dealt with, since you're not getting it from a donor vehicle.
Old 11-27-2012, 02:11 PM
3D87C4
Melting Slicks

There's an Executive Order (D-126-30) for the EROD that outlines what has to be done to be smog compliant.

It only applies to the EROD kit, & isn't a guarantee, but I've been told it passes easily if installed correctly.
Old 01-03-2013, 01:48 PM
1991Z07
Safety Car

Received 72 Likes on 49 Posts

Default LS7 into a 1992 ZR1

Hey everyone!

I'm working on a new track car (for me) to go along with my daily driver...

I bought a '92 ZR1 rolling chassis last year...and had originally planned to drop a 427 Gen 1 into it until my machinist died and all my parts mysteriously were not there when I went to claim them.

SO, now I have to start over from scratch...and since there isn't really any good reason to do it with a Gen 1 motor, I started to research dropping an LSx into it.

Plans are:
  • LS7 with 12.5:1 C/R running e85 or better
  • Heads/cam/intake...shooting for about 650 RWHP...maybe a bit more later
  • T56 with faceplated 2-5 gears
  • Gen 1 Viper DANA 44 rear end
  • C6 Z06 or Z07 calipers & rotors
  • Full cage

With the ZR1 body I can cram 335's under the rear end so I have at least SOME good tire patches to maintain traction. This will be predominately a track/open road race car...street manners are not an issue.

I've already started acquiring some parts...
  • Lexan rear hatch
  • Carbon fiber top
  • Carbon fiber clamshell hood

With the parts already acquired plus the LS7, it appears I'll have already shaved a good 300+ pounds from the car in LT1 trim and 450+ pounds in LT5 trim...all up high so the C/G will drop significantly.

This will be a slow process for me...I am just about to embark on building a new house for a friend. They start the foundation next week.

First I have a frame shop appointment to get the passenger frame rail pulled...it rode a guardrail at the drag strip after a blowout. Bent in ~1.5" and up ~ 1". Passenger door still operates easily...but needs to be addressed first before I start on anything else.

The cage I plan to model after this Greenwood G572 project...

I love that you can ACTUALLY see back between the "seats" with this design...basically putting a roll hoop above each seat.

Also, with the floor supports this way I can eliminate the "C" beam connecting the trans to the differential...and strengthen the entire drivetrain.

I hope to have it done by next year (2014) in time for track season...but I may be dreaming with everything I have on my plate.

Gonna be a fun project...can't wait to get started and will certainly keep everyone apprised of the progress as I plug away at various portions.

There is a wealth of knowledge here...you guys rock!
Attached Images          

Last edited by 1991Z07; 01-03-2013 at 02:21 PM.
Old 01-03-2013, 01:58 PM
3D87C4
Melting Slicks

Wow!
Old 01-03-2013, 06:30 PM
85MikeTPI
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1991Z07
Hey everyone!

I bought a '92 ZR1 rolling chassis last year...and had originally planned to drop a 427 Gen 1 into it until my machinist died and all my parts mysteriously were not there when I went to claim them.

SO, now I have to start over from scratch...and since there isn't really any good reason to do it with a Gen 1 motor, I started to research dropping an LSx into it.

Plans are:
  • LS7 with 12.5:1 C/R running e85 or better
  • Heads/cam/intake...shooting for about 650 RWHP...maybe a bit more later
  • T56 with faceplated 2-5 gears
  • Gen 1 Viper DANA 44 rear end
  • C6 Z06 or Z07 calipers & rotors
  • Full cage

With the ZR1 body I can cram 335's under the rear end so I have at least SOME good tire patches to maintain traction. This will be predominately a track/open road race car...street manners are not an issue.

I've already started acquiring some parts...
  • Lexan rear hatch
  • Carbon fiber top
  • Carbon fiber clamshell hood

With the parts already acquired plus the LS7, it appears I'll have already shaved a good 300+ pounds from the car in LT1 trim and 450+ pounds in LT5 trim...all up high so the C/G will drop significantly.
Welcome.. I saw your thread over on ls1tech also. Your dedicated race car won't have many of the issues that most of us have with a street swap. If youre looking for suggestions, I'd look into a stroked LS2/LS3 over a LS7 unless you have a line on a cheap doner. You can still do a dry sump and not have all the one-off and exotic long block parts that the aftermarket has already surpassed for a lot less..
Old 01-03-2013, 08:30 PM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

Received 619 Likes on 497 Posts

Old 01-03-2013, 09:51 PM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 3D87C4
Wow!
Bad ****
Old 01-03-2013, 10:59 PM
1991Z07
Safety Car

Received 72 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by 85MikeTPI
Welcome.. I saw your thread over on ls1tech also. Your dedicated race car won't have many of the issues that most of us have with a street swap. If youre looking for suggestions, I'd look into a stroked LS2/LS3 over a LS7 unless you have a line on a cheap doner. You can still do a dry sump and not have all the one-off and exotic long block parts that the aftermarket has already surpassed for a lot less..
I've been checking out your threads over there as well...

I'm pretty set on an LS7...I have some great sources and want one in a bad way. Even though you can get an LS2/LS3 punched out to the same size, the interior windage/oil handling of the LS7 has been refined through years of racing R&D...not the same as the LS2/LS3...not even close.

If I was planning to do "occasional" track days...sure.

But this beast will ONLY be on the track or racing on the road...90% of the time between 75% and WOT.

Can I get there with a LS2/LS3? Maybe...

Can I get there with a class winning engine block? Most certainly...

I know it'll need an upgrade to the sump system...racing does that. An ARE stage 2 system will be on it when installed.

Heads/cam/intake...yep, no problem. Katech supplied...because they know what they are doing and have proven it in endurance environments.

Will it be more expensive? Yes...but only the initial investment. If I have to rebuild/replace an LS2/LS3 AFTER all the mods to get it to 7.0 liters...I'm dead even. The LS7 has the internal baffling for air control and oil control already built in...

It'll be a fun time...I'm looking forward to it.
Old 01-12-2013, 10:02 PM
85MikeTPI
Racer

As I work on the car this Winter, I'm reminded of how nice the LS is compared to the GenI/GenII motors I've worked on for the past 25 years.

- Reusable and RTV-free gaskets.
- No coolant spills during Intake removal
- No annoying leaks.
- Clean burning, emissions compliant, no more watery eyes and smelly clothes.
- 25+ MPG
- 87 octane fuel
- Easy access to R&R plugs and wires
- Easy access to header bolts
- 450whp with nothing more than a mild cam..

The Garage Profanity is definitely at an all time low..
Old 01-12-2013, 10:40 PM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

Mike, I have been looking at the Microsquirt ECM. If I would have know about this ECM before I would have kept my 91 ECM and used the Microsquirt for engine management. It's tiny and and the software is free. I'm seriously considering using it on my next project.
Old 01-12-2013, 11:16 PM
85MikeTPI
Racer

Originally Posted by ch@0s

Mike, I have been looking at the Microsquirt ECM. If I would have know about this ECM before I would have kept my 91 ECM and used the Microsquirt for engine management. It's tiny and and the software is free. I'm seriously considering using it on my next project.
Last time I looked at MS it didn't do spark, only fuel. It definitely wouldnt have ran my VVT... I don't have any problem with the piggyback setup I'm running...

( I actually taught a class using the same micro controller as the mega squirt processor so I spent a lot of time following it and the code)
Old 01-12-2013, 11:31 PM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

Last time I looked at MS it didn't do spark, only fuel. It definitely wouldnt have ran my VVT... I don't have any problem with the piggyback setup I'm running...

( I actually taught a class using the same micro controller as the mega squirt processor so I spent a lot of time following it and the code)
It does do spark now but it will not manage the 4l60 trans. For a set up with a manual or an older trans it would work. Again I'm just now looking at and it and its just an Idea at this point. What I like about it is cost, size and the software is free. The Microsquirt is tiny. For less that $500 you could have ECM,harness and software.

Last edited by ch@0s; 01-12-2013 at 11:35 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To So how many of you guys are doing/done LSX swaps?

Old 01-13-2013, 12:00 AM
85MikeTPI
Racer

It does do spark now but it will not manage the 4l60 trans. For a set up with a manual or an older trans it would work. Again I'm just now looking at and it and its just an Idea at this point. What I like about it is cost, size and the software is free. The Microsquirt is tiny. For less that $500 you could have ECM,harness
Cool. I'm still amazed at what the stock ECMs are capable of and that same $500 can be put into HPTuners and a stock ECM/TCM and harness and have much more capacity in the stock ECM... YMMV...
Old 01-13-2013, 12:25 AM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

Cool. I'm still amazed at what the stock ECMs are capable of and that same $500 can be put into HPTuners and a stock ECM/TCM and harness and have much more capacity in the stock ECM... YMMV...
True technology is the shiznit but I don't have to tell you.BTW the new MS products have a self learning feature
Since you are the expert maybe you should take another look. I hate to spend a bunch of time looking into it and come to the same conclusion.
Old 01-13-2013, 12:15 PM
85MikeTPI
Racer

True technology is the shiznit but I don't have to tell you.BTW the new MS products have a self learning feature
Since you are the expert maybe you should take another look. I hate to spend a bunch of time looking into it and come to the same conclusion.
Yup. I have to qualify my statements as directed towards the GenIV ECM. The GenIV MAF is leaps better than GenIII, so it's "self learning" in that matter. Having done a few GenIII SD tunes, I can see where a self learning feature would be desirable..

Quick Reply: So how many of you guys are doing/done LSX swaps?