C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Where are C4 prices going?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 10:59 AM
Warren Seale
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by F22
After watching the Toyota 'Camry Memories' commercial on the Super Bowl, who gives a flying ferp about where C4 prices are going? I watched the commercial with some amazement and was astounded that Toyota would actually have us getting sentimental about the car that defines 'boredom' on four wheels!

I can't think of a bigger, more boring peice of crap than a Camry-Sentra-Focus-Prizm-Cruz or whatever your's or anybody elses daily driver is (yes, I own such a car). They do the job of pushing your *** and associated stuff around town well. Around and around you go, with the cheap radio blaring. So friggin' what?
Basically they're refrigerators on 4 wheels.

Warren
Old 02-07-2012, 02:07 PM
soldierboy609
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Personally I dont care if they go up or down since I love my car and have no plans to sell it---BUT I was a little upset that I bought mine just before the prices started to bottom out. I could get the same car today for just about half the cost. GRRRRR
Old 02-07-2012, 04:49 PM
Kennypowers1974
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
Til it hits about 3800 rpm then starts straining like a backed up colon after eating 3 lbs of cheese. Reeeeal muscle
Old 02-07-2012, 05:44 PM
OC_Dave
Intermediate

Who really cares! You don't buy a C4 for an investment. It's a car it depreciates. I drive to work, the store and anywhere else I please. If your looking for an investment look else where. I put 1K miles a month on mine and plan to put a new motor in when it's time. because I like it! That's where the value is.
Old 02-07-2012, 06:45 PM
SurfnSun
Team Owner

Received 522 Likes on 342 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by bb62

The challenge cars certainly. I'm not too sure about paint and tape specials like the 35th Anniversary car. The only long term collectible C4s are those with a performance legacy. The Challenge cars, the ZR-1s and the Callaway cars are the cars that will endure in the long run. Even the GS cars will fade given that they are primarily paint and tape specials.

I mostly agree, but if you look at the auction prices of the GS and the 35th cars you will find them to be very strong. An ultra low mile GS (less than 1k) or a very low mile 4+3 35th car will bring very good money. The CE's and 93's dont add much value.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:56 AM
Greg Gore
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by F22
After watching the Toyota 'Camry Memories' commercial on the Super Bowl, who gives a flying ferp about where C4 prices are going? I watched the commercial with some amazement and was astounded that Toyota would actually have us getting sentimental about the car that defines 'boredom' on four wheels!

I can't think of a bigger, more boring peice of crap than a Camry-Sentra-Focus-Prizm-Cruz or whatever your's or anybody elses daily driver is (yes, I own such a car). They do the job of pushing your *** and associated stuff around town well. Around and around you go, with the cheap radio blaring. So friggin' what?...

Toyota "drive by wire" throttles are making driving exciting again though!

Old 02-08-2012, 11:29 AM
Vette Daddy
Le Mans Master

Received 95 Likes on 45 Posts

I don't buy your logic. When I bought my first Corvette - a 1964 365HP Convertible - back in 1981, 1967 Corvettes were only 14 years old and already increasing in value dramatically every year. I remember a green 435HP coupe for sale for $18K (a lot of money in those days) which was more than a new Corvette. There were 63 Fuelies that were selling for as much as 50% more than a new Corvette.

The early C4s by comparison are already, at their youngest, 22 years old. If a significant increase in these cars hasn't happened by now, I don't think it will. The problem the C4 generation has (and especially the early C4s) is that the follow on cars were better and faster. The 90 ZR-1 is the car that brought the Corvette out of the doldrums. Since that time, there have been the C5s, the C5 Z06s, the C6, the C6 Z06, the C6 ZR1 - each an improvement over the prior cars from a performance stand point. In that way, the C4 is like the C1 generation with faster and better cars following every year. It took a long time for the C1s to catch up in value.

I think the 1973 through 1990 (base car) will be a lost generation with respect to collectability. Even in the very early 1980s, the mid 70s cars were viewed as drivers, Corvettes easiest to buy and sell at modest prices. That general thought process can be extended through the entire 80s.

Only the Challenge cars during that time period will get the bump as a group, as well as specialty performance units, IMO. Others will disagree and that's ok. Just my .02.

Last edited by Vette Daddy; 02-08-2012 at 11:31 AM.
Old 02-08-2012, 11:45 AM
2rgeir
Instructor

Originally Posted by OC_Dave
Who really cares! You don't buy a C4 for an investment. It's a car it depreciates. I drive to work, the store and anywhere else I please. If your looking for an investment look else where. I put 1K miles a month on mine and plan to put a new motor in when it's time. because I like it! That's where the value is.
All these "Who really cares!" posts are getting kind of old... If you don't care, then don't comment and just move on.... I DO care! Ok?
The reason I care is not because I bought mine as an investment, but because I'm hoping to buy an even older one in a little while. Be it 10, 20 or 30 months before I am able to get around to seriously look for one, I am still interested in other peoples opinions on the issue, and examples as to which prices the C4's are accomplishing in todays market.... OK!?
Old 02-08-2012, 12:53 PM
Greg Gore
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 2rgeir
All these "Who really cares!" posts are getting kind of old... If you don't care, then don't comment and just move on.... I DO care! Ok?
The reason I care is not because I bought mine as an investment, but because I'm hoping to buy an even older one in a little while. Be it 10, 20 or 30 months before I am able to get around to seriously look for one, I am still interested in other peoples opinions on the issue, and examples as to which prices the C4's are accomplishing in todays market.... OK!?

Thank you, that needed to be said. Maybe those who post "who really cares" never negotiate the price and maybe even tip their seller an extra hundred during a purchase because after all the money side is not important.
Old 02-08-2012, 01:14 PM
Greg Gore
Le Mans Master

I don't buy your logic. When I bought my first Corvette - a 1964 365HP Convertible - back in 1981, 1967 Corvettes were only 14 years old and already increasing in value dramatically every year. I remember a green 435HP coupe for sale for $18K (a lot of money in those days) which was more than a new Corvette. There were 63 Fuelies that were selling for as much as 50% more than a new Corvette.

The early C4s by comparison are already, at their youngest, 22 years old. If a significant increase in these cars hasn't happened by now, I don't think it will. The problem the C4 generation has (and especially the early C4s) is that the follow on cars were better and faster. The 90 ZR-1 is the car that brought the Corvette out of the doldrums. Since that time, there have been the C5s, the C5 Z06s, the C6, the C6 Z06, the C6 ZR1 - each an improvement over the prior cars from a performance stand point. In that way, the C4 is like the C1 generation with faster and better cars following every year. It took a long time for the C1s to catch up in value.

I think the 1973 through 1990 (base car) will be a lost generation with respect to collectability. Even in the very early 1980s, the mid 70s cars were viewed as drivers, Corvettes easiest to buy and sell at modest prices. That general thought process can be extended through the entire 80s.
We might be able to draw some parallels with the current downturn in classic muscle car auction prices after reaching a peak recently. Obviously bucks-up boomers were supplying demand and driving up prices on cars they lusted for as youths. The problem is these were mostly 14 second machines weighing two tons that would not turn and would not stop but few remember that and until you actually drive one you don't know so your hand goes up and you bring one home. I'm guessing the early Corvettes are probably being recognized and valued more and more lately as surviving antiques rather than as examples of American muscle car heritage. Anyone really wanting an American muscle car should consider a C6 Z06. The 2006 Z06 redefined high performance and everything else made before pales in comparison. If Z06's ever get down in the twenties we better find something besides performance to crow about.
Old 02-08-2012, 04:32 PM
FOURSPEEDVETTE
Safety Car

Received 224 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg Gore
We might be able to draw some parallels with the current downturn in classic muscle car auction prices after reaching a peak recently. Obviously bucks-up boomers were supplying demand and driving up prices on cars they lusted for as youths. The problem is these were mostly 14 second machines weighing two tons that would not turn and would not stop but few remember that and until you actually drive one you don't know so your hand goes up and you bring one home. I'm guessing the early Corvettes are probably being recognized and valued more and more lately as surviving antiques rather than as examples of American muscle car heritage. Anyone really wanting an American muscle car should consider a C6 Z06. The 2006 Z06 redefined high performance and everything else made before pales in comparison. If Z06's ever get down in the twenties we better find something besides performance to crow about.
None of the early Corvettes C1 & C2 were considered muscle cars. They were American sportscars. Now they are antique American sportscars. C3's had the good looks, but only the first few years of the C3 years had a lot of horsepower. C4 became the sleek Corvettes and started to gain in the horsepower department over it's run of 12 years. C5......? C6 has the best of everything with looks and power that is hard to beat with any other car of today. They are all great American sportscars. I'd say the C6 is the only one I would consider a sportscar with lots of muscle right from the factory.

Last edited by FOURSPEEDVETTE; 02-08-2012 at 04:35 PM.
Old 02-08-2012, 05:10 PM
Vette Daddy
Le Mans Master

Received 95 Likes on 45 Posts

Generally speaking, cars of the 60's and early to mid 70's are considered by most as "Muscle Cars". Even the two seater Corvette, even though it's a two seater Sports car..
Old 02-08-2012, 05:21 PM
corvette Stu
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Vette Daddy
Generally speaking, cars of the 60's and early to mid 70's are considered by most as "Muscle Cars". Even the two seater Corvette, even though it's a two seater Sports car..
Old 02-09-2012, 03:57 AM
ddahlgren
Melting Slicks

Received 64 Likes on 60 Posts

At the end of the day from mid 70's to late 90's was a performance black hole in the hp department due to the smog ***** and all the OEMs struggling to meet them and devoping the technology. There were no rules about styling and handling hence the leaps made there with 250 hp. you can say what you will about a mid tear big block and the good old days but different horses for different courses really. I have driven plenty of the big block cars in years gone by. They are fast in a straight line but give me a twisty road and all they will see is tail lights. It is not all about HP to be fast it is also how many or few times you scrub off speed on the brakes..LOL.. If you do not slow down there is no need for acceleration.. I think the whole point of the L98 cars was the 350 ft lbs to give the feel of more power than they had due to the regs the feds handed down and 90% of the buying public was fine with it as they had no desire to drag race or break speed limits by any great amount. The LT series cars were working towards OBDII and a new generation of eletronics that ened up going on the LS engines in the C5 and allowed performance with fed regs not busted. I see the C4 as the Corvette that brought sleek modern styling and leaps in handling and a foundation for the OBDII electronics that grew into C5 and the combination of styling handling and HP. Every C5 and C6 driver ought to wave to us in a C4 as without this car Bowling Green would close and their car not exist. If you think about it how many car models were discontinued and then came back?
Dave... rant over..
Old 02-09-2012, 10:45 AM
anciano
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wanting to get a late model pre-face vert in a little while. If I didn't already have my -94 and my -85 T/A stored in the US I'd be bidding on this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/?cmd=...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT
Holy Moly! $10,300 for an L98 with 108K miles! And 21 suck....errr, bidders? I thought that price might be a high-end number for my '94 with 98K miles and factory hardtop. All of a sudden I'm revising its guesstimated value. I may be sitting on/in a polo green gold mine!

Seriously, have values gone up so much? And since when?
Old 02-09-2012, 11:16 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Common sense not allowed here.

You can say this til youre blue in the face and tomorrow someone will pipe in wondering when thier 5k C4 will be worth enough to retire on.

Doesnt happen that way
Old 02-09-2012, 01:10 PM
Cavi
Pro

In the interest of responding to the OP. I have really been following the prices for quite awhile in my area. what I have seen is the prices were betweek 10 and 13 for a long time, but they have not ben selling at that point and alot of those are still for sale and slightly under 10. There are alot of 7000 ones out there, just not in great shape. The older 84-87 models, unless in prestine shape, around here try and sell for under 5, and alot for 3 or less, but those are really basket cases. there are also the really low mile onres or ZR1, those are usually 20 or around there.
I think the prices will stabilize for the newer ones around 8 to 10 fro a couple of years. I feel the prices will go up in a couple of years when there are less cars out there and they truely end up as colecctors editions, but that is realistically in a more far away time. Keep in mind a C5 can be had for 15 or less and a C6 can now be had for 20 or even less. Don't get me wrong, I like my c4, but why would someone who does not own a corvette go for a C4 over a C5 if they are within 2000 of each other, and in a couple more years the early C6 will hit the 15 mark...
Just my thoughts

Get notified of new replies

To Where are C4 prices going?

Old 02-09-2012, 01:10 PM
RetiredSFC 97
Team Owner

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10, '14

You have to take the cost factor into consideration. it will take any newer car, like the C4,5,6 a long time to recover due to economics. They have a long way to fall before they ever climb. So with the cost that means years.

They will eventually rise, as will the 5 and 6. Take the C3 for example. A nice clean C3 will now bring more than it's selling price, when after the C4 came out you couldn't give them away. This is based more on economics and inflation than its true value.

But there are so many C3, C4's, 5, and 6's they have taken them out of a collector status for years to come. There were less C1 and C2's, and cost way less even when adjusted for inflation, than later generations.

Collectors will always be interested in the ZR1, and I would add the GS and LT4 as well eventually. But your run of the mill Corvette from C3 to now? I don't see them being worth much for many years, but they will eventually.

I also think the market has stabilized for the C4, mostly. But the C5 and C6 owners are in for what C4 owners went through starting next year. Some C5 guys are already freaking out about it.

Last edited by RetiredSFC 97; 02-09-2012 at 01:18 PM.
Old 02-09-2012, 01:19 PM
RetiredSFC 97
Team Owner

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10, '14

Originally Posted by Cavi
In the interest of responding to the OP. I have really been following the prices for quite awhile in my area. what I have seen is the prices were betweek 10 and 13 for a long time, but they have not ben selling at that point and alot of those are still for sale and slightly under 10. There are alot of 7000 ones out there, just not in great shape. The older 84-87 models, unless in prestine shape, around here try and sell for under 5, and alot for 3 or less, but those are really basket cases. there are also the really low mile onres or ZR1, those are usually 20 or around there.
I think the prices will stabilize for the newer ones around 8 to 10 fro a couple of years. I feel the prices will go up in a couple of years when there are less cars out there and they truely end up as colecctors editions, but that is realistically in a more far away time. Keep in mind a C5 can be had for 15 or less and a C6 can now be had for 20 or even less. Don't get me wrong, I like my c4, but why would someone who does not own a corvette go for a C4 over a C5 if they are within 2000 of each other, and in a couple more years the early C6 will hit the 15 mark...
Just my thoughts
You won't find a C6 for less than 25 unless it's extremely high mileage or salvage title. At least I haven't seen one.
Old 02-09-2012, 01:39 PM
bb62
Safety Car

Received 361 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by RetiredSFC 97
You have to take the cost factor into consideration. it will take any newer car, like the C4,5,6 a long time to recover due to economics. They have a long way to fall before they ever climb. So with the cost that means years.

They will eventually rise, as will the 5 and 6. Take the C3 for example. A nice clean C3 will now bring more than it's selling price, when after the C4 came out you couldn't give them away. This is based more on economics and inflation than its true value.

But there are so many C3, C4's, 5, and 6's they have taken them out of a collector status for years to come. There were less C1 and C2's, and cost way less even when adjusted for inflation, than later generations.

Collectors will always be interested in the ZR1, and I would add the GS and LT4 as well eventually. But your run of the mill Corvette from C3 to now? I don't see them being worth much for many years, but they will eventually.

I also think the market has stabilized for the C4, mostly. But the C5 and C6 owners are in for what C4 owners went through starting next year. Some C5 guys are already freaking out about it.
Inflation adjusted, the C3s were no different in their pricing than either the C1s or C2s. The big jump occurred with the movement to the C4. In fact, the 1988 is the most expensive base Corvette when adjusted for inflation.

My post, which you highlighted, compares the prices of the surging C2s in the early 1980s to new Corvettes at the time so there is an automatic adjustment for inflation.

Quick Reply: Where are C4 prices going?