C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

OBX stuff again

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 10:04 AM
CROOZ1N
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Default OBX stuff again

Just wondering if anyone has bought and installed the OBX catback for 92-96 Vette. It looks very interesting as do the headers. I realize the header quality might be hit or miss but for less than 900.00 for both delivered Its hard to justify the extra money for Name brand.
The cat back looks like Corsa and if they were able to copy the anti drone technology that would be great.
Anyone?
East coast dealers?
Who has been better to deal with on the left coast? I've sent emails to all the Authorized dealers but have not had a reply this week.
Old 01-19-2012, 02:11 PM
hogsnvettes
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CROOZ1N
Just wondering if anyone has bought and installed the OBX catback for 92-96 Vette. It looks very interesting as do the headers. I realize the header quality might be hit or miss but for less than 900.00 for both delivered Its hard to justify the extra money for Name brand.
The cat back looks like Corsa and if they were able to copy the anti drone technology that would be great.
Anyone?
East coast dealers?
Who has been better to deal with on the left coast? I've sent emails to all the Authorized dealers but have not had a reply this week.
I purchased the cat-back from an ebay vendor this week. I expect to get delivery on Tuesday of next week, then install on Saturday. If you PM me I'll send you the particulars. I guess I should take some pics during the install and post the results after a test drive.
Old 01-19-2012, 05:15 PM
corvette Stu
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Get ready for don't buy anything thats not made in the USA crew, but its ok if it is from to the north or south of us.
Old 01-19-2012, 05:37 PM
hogsnvettes
Instructor

Originally Posted by red rock
Get ready for don't buy anything thats not made in the USA crew, but its ok if it is from to the north or south of us.
I'll be happy to accept donations from the NMIUSA crew so I can upgrade to a Corsa system.

Old 01-19-2012, 08:04 PM
CROOZ1N
Instructor

No bashing . I just think the other money can be used in other areas like a cam and rocker arms. I love my Corsa extreme on the C5 but I got it used. I haven't found a set for the C4 used.
If I can get headers and catback delivered under $900.00 that's a third what name brand would be.
Old 01-28-2012, 06:15 PM
hogsnvettes
Instructor

Saturday morning finally came and I was able to get my new exhaust installed. I went to a buddy's shop to get it up on a lift. The whole process took about 2 hours, and probably would have been shorter if I hadn't drop a nut that went into an oil drain. All in all the install was simple enough. One piece of pipe we had to bang on a little to flare it out but nothing unusual about that when dealing with exhaust. The fit and finish, quality of welds, construction in general I would rate very high.

Now for the really good part. It sounds great. Nice deep bass note and not obnoxious loud. You can really feel the power in the seat but very little drone. Cabin noise is a little more noticeable at highway speed, but it's not much more than stock. Sounds fantastic at WOT!

Here's before

http://s380.photobucket.com/albums/o...-51-51_161.mp4

Here's after

http://s380.photobucket.com/albums/o...-08-43_871.mp4
Old 01-28-2012, 09:07 PM
CROOZ1N
Instructor

Thanks So much for the write up. I'll probably be ordering one next week!!
Old 01-28-2012, 10:12 PM
1963SS
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for taking the time to post the videos. The OBX sounds a lot like my Corsa mufflers and Magnaflow X-Pipe center muffler. I probably paid more but the sound is real, real close. I like it. I assume there's no drone to speak of?
Old 01-28-2012, 11:22 PM
UberLegend
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the vids. Stock or mod exhaust......I love the LT1 burbble at idle.
Old 01-29-2012, 06:39 AM
hogsnvettes
Instructor

Originally Posted by 1963SS
Thanks for taking the time to post the videos. The OBX sounds a lot like my Corsa mufflers and Magnaflow X-Pipe center muffler. I probably paid more but the sound is real, real close. I like it. I assume there's no drone to speak of?
When I bought my 95 several years ago it had flowmaster's on it. I drove home on Interstate and the drone was so bad I could barely hear the radio. Within a few days I had Walker mufflers installed to get it back to stock so I've got a clear memory of what drone is.

At 70mph the OBX mufflers are very mild. I hear a little increase in sound but absolutely no drone. Thank the lord!

Hint for anyone planning a DIY for this exhaust - have a flare tool handy for 2.5" pipe. Two of the connections were slightly oval'd making fit difficult. A flare tool and a BDH fixed that quick.
Old 01-29-2012, 08:52 AM
96 Vette CE
Banned Loser
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: They say you learn from your mistakes, I must be a genius
Received 249 Likes on 115 Posts
2017 Corvette of the Year
2016 C4 of Year Finalist
Creator of the "Original" whining and crying thread
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17

Thanks for taking the time and posting a comparision, they sound great and look real nice too.
Old 02-04-2012, 02:49 PM
ray1979
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any more updates on this exhaust. Still no drone?
Old 02-05-2012, 05:10 PM
CROOZ1N
Instructor

Hogsnvette,
Any idea if /when you will do the OBX headers as well?
The cat back really doesn't seem like it changed the sound so much.
Old 02-05-2012, 09:16 PM
hogsnvettes
Instructor

While cell phone camera's have come a long way in the past 5 to 10 years, sound recording is still pretty pathetic. When I listened to the two recordings I made I was very disappointed with them. Nether one come close to reproducing the true sound. The OBX cat back is much deeper and louder in person than on the vids.

I've got to replace my water pump and radiator before I do the headers so it will be awhile. I hope to have them before Memorial day weekend.
Old 02-06-2012, 08:17 AM
slickfx3
Safety Car

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

thanks for that, the L98 ones have a single outlet, do you have close up pics of the parts, it looks great by the way...

it does not sound like corsa at all from the vids, it sounds even quieter than the stock Lt mufflers, can you see thru one of the pipes?
Old 02-06-2012, 08:46 PM
hogsnvettes
Instructor

Originally Posted by slickfx3
thanks for that, the L98 ones have a single outlet, do you have close up pics of the parts, it looks great by the way...

it does not sound like corsa at all from the vids, it sounds even quieter than the stock Lt mufflers, can you see thru one of the pipes?
No, I didn't make close up's of any of the parts. The illustration of the parts list on the vendor's web site shows the parts fairly well. As to the sound I tried to explain the recording quality of my cell phone doesn't come close to what it sounds like live in person. I don't have enough exposure to Corsa systems on an LT1 to say one way or another. And finally, yes the muffler's are straight through on the outer opening on each one. If I were looking for pure noise volume I'd have gone with muffler eleminators. Since I wasn't these have fit my personal preference perfectly.
Old 02-06-2012, 11:05 PM
slickfx3
Safety Car

can you take some close up pics of it on the car?

thanks for the post, the ebay pictures show they have a kit that fits all years c4's, unfortunately, it is not a cat back only contrary to what the pics suggests, and has pipes that go to the front of the car... I had Corsa's at one time, and they were very loud at full throttle, but my car is a hot 383 making a lot of noise and power, they look beautiful,

at this price , I may go for it, even if just for the mufflers

Get notified of new replies

To OBX stuff again

Old 02-07-2012, 05:43 PM
tehcarguy
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very interested in these, you can't really beat that price. If someone could post up a good video of this kit that would be awesome.
Old 02-07-2012, 08:36 PM
hogsnvettes
Instructor

I'll try to take some more revealing pics and maybe break out the video camera for some better sound quality. I can't promise it will be tomorrow or even this week as work has been very hectic of late.

One suggestion, call the vendor and see if they can send you vids or pictures of the Vette specific kit. When I have questions about a product I go straight to the source. When I was researching this kit I read a number of negative comments about them being paper thin steel, fitment issues and other problems none of which proved true.

If you order this kit and don't like it for some reason, what's the worse that can happen? Shipping it back to the vendor is less than $100.
Old 02-07-2012, 08:51 PM
slickfx3
Safety Car

I email them thru ebay, and told me no pictures or vids, I can see how the kit is going to fit the L98 cars, they offer them with high flow cars which I dont' need,

their zr1 system is going got 349.00 and 55 for shaping which is way cheaper, the mufflers are worth that for sure

check this out..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_GhQMmVgQs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjm-9ygnJTY

Last edited by slickfx3; 02-07-2012 at 08:55 PM.

Quick Reply: OBX stuff again